Noob! Driftworks arms/CS2's advice?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Gunny, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Gunny

Gunny New Member

So I've posted a couple of times before asking for advice, no surprise, I'm back again.

My project has progressed quite a bit, to the point i now have geomasters front and rear, CS2's and driftworks arms front and rear with geo front tension rods. As mentioned in previous posts I'm not actually in search of mad lock and epic skids, although the amount of lock is a welcome addition, my car is/will be more track focussed so grip is the goal.

My questions are... Just how far can i widen the track on the rear lower arms before it poses problems? Overstretching the adjusters or even driveshaft capabilities? Also, raising the rear coilovers to accommodate the drop created by the geomasters, what would be the minimum recommended thread in the mounting body? I'm not a fan of tucking my wheels up to the windows.

I'm sure I'll have other questions along the way but this is all for now.

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison Driftworks Owner
    Staff Member

The amount you can lengthen the rear lower arm depends on a lot of factors, like how low you are running the car, how much squat the car has, and how much camber you run. The best advice I can give is to simulate the full range of suspension travel if possible. I do this by removing the damper and jacking off the lower arm. Then check that you have movement in the driveshaft through that range. If you don't then the CV is maxed and will likely fail.
    Regarding minimum thread in the bottom bracket of the coilover, on the rear you can go as low as 15mm. On the front you want a bit more if it's McPhearson strut as it has more lateral load.

3. Gunny

Gunny New Member

Cheers Phill! I don't intend to run the car really low, it'll be arches just over the tyres, 17's with 45 profile AD08's (no stretch) if that gives any decent image and very little camber if any. Assuming power is the main determining factor in squat, it's practically standard power wise. As for the coil overs, the fronts don't seem to run out of thread like the rears, i took them up 45mm from where i originally had them prior to fitting the geomasters and more than happy with the amount of thread in there.

4. Gunny

Gunny New Member

It'll be similar height to the picture i added and those wheels/tyres are the same height

5. Gunny

Gunny New Member

So it's been a while, been getting on with other bits.

I left 15mm of thread in the body of the rear coilovers and the car is so low! Looks like I'm just going to have to live with that or i have a couple of ideas to give me more adjustment.

With the Geo's on the front, DW lower arms, GEO tension rods and DW rack spacers, my track rods are now too long causing massive toe in. Am i missing something here or have i done something wrong? I'm on the standard S13 track rods and ends

IMG-20170413-WA0001.