Toyota Auto Shifter Mod...

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by dale_b, Mar 14, 2012.

1. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

Yo dudes,

We all know you can skid an Auto, it's just a pain in the ars not having a clutch to kick, and until I find a manual conversion at a reasonable price I'm looking into little things that will make skidding my Auto Soarer that little bit easier.

Iv modified a standard Soarer gear Shifter so it can be smashed into 1st gear WITHOUT pressing the button. Iv done this because on slow tight corners you sometimes need 1st and trying to press the button and shift whilst flapping furiously is a pain and not having to press the button will make it a tiny bit easier. Bare in mind the auto soarers are a 4 speed and you get best part of 50mph in 1st gear and 85mph in 2nd.

This is the shifter mech as it comes, notice the tab on the right marked Red that stops it going into 1st without pressing the gear knob button.. The Bit marked by Yellow is the bit that moves up and down when you press the button. The plastic bit marked Blue stops you being able to take out of 'P' without foot on Brake pedal, Bit marked Purple is a pin that releases the Blue marked bit when you put your foot on the brake or press the little red button next to shifter.

[​IMG]

Stage 1 of my mods was to chop that tab off marked Green(below) so it slides to the end without pressing button...

I also removed that white plastic bit marked Blue, this is basically what stops you being able to take it out of 'P' without your foot on the brake, or pressing the little red button next the the shifter. You don't strictly need to remove this but I think I'll prefer not having to put foot on brake. This is mainly useful when you spin out and stall, with the auto box, when you spin and don't keep it nailed it Will stall everytime because it obviously spins the whole running gear backwards.

[​IMG]

Stage 2 is not complete yet, its going to be a new tab welded on at the left marked Orange so that you have to push the button to go into 'N', and most importantly you can smash it forward into 'D' without fear on going to far into 'N'.

Stage 3 is a GayDM Yo gear knob that I can't imagine anyone else in the world could be bothered to make. My friend makes custom made clear plastic gear knobs with just about anything set inside and any colour.. So iv cut up a standard gear knob ready to cast the clear plastic end into it. It's really anal but will be pretty cool when it's done, not sure what I'm going to set inside it yet....

I'm on the case with this this week so I'll update with progress as it gets done:thumbs:

CHEAP AUTO SKIDZ FTW:thumbs:

#1 dale_b, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  2. cptsideways

cptsideways Active Member

Very cunning interested to see this in action

3. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Interesting/clever, good thinking mate. Hopefully this works out as planned

4. Dex

Dex kut!

Wanders old r33 was an auto aswell, he did some real weird stuff with that, but came down to being a manual with mega long gears and no clutch

5. Ysracing

Ysracing Guest

can the box take the load when you bang in into 1st with a reasonable hight speed.

6. davisyip

davisyip Member

I'd like to see stage 3 mods, can imagine that it'd be very cool

7. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

I have no idea to be honest, you can basically shift lock it when you drop it into 1st, how long it'll last remains to be seen... It's had a fair bit of abuse thus far and seems ok.

8. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

That's the idea:thumbs:
    From what iv been reading aswell on ClubAristo is that you can use the overdrive button to keep it in 3rd while in 'D', so you effectively have 1st, 2nd and 3rd....but like you say, no dam clutch to kick

9. tion

tion Member

Mega thread bump, did stage 3 ever get done .does chopping the tab off marked greenin stage 1 mean you dont have to press the button on the gearstick to change gear????

10. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

Yeah man, chop that off and you dont need to push button to change into first(L).

11. tion

tion Member

Cool did you ever get the dildo made to fit the auto,would be badass like a small light sabre

12. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

No man, got myself a Mklll Supra to break and kept the gearbox stuff.. Manual is amazeballs.. Wouldn't stop me buying another auto though:thumbs:

13. tion

tion Member

Love the idea of smashing up and down the gears with my foot on the floor