Need help with brakes, rele struggling

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Steve32, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Steve32

Steve32 New Member

Hi guys am quite new in the sense of actually posting on the forum, but after hours of chasing my tail around I need some help identifying my brakes. And advice in where to go next with trying to replace them. I have a R32 what I presume would technically be called a gts as originally the car was a non tube rb25de (special edition with a sunroof?)

I have come to the stage where I need a pads and disks and was looking Ito getting braided lines also. The front I have managed to work out are alloy calipers that where shared between the r32 turbo models, and the 300zx. (5 stud) my car has had a 5
    Stud conversion, again on principal I'm not sure how this was done. I measured the disks and the fronts are 280mm x 30mm so ok I thought I'll get the 300zx disks and pads all round as I've read on here and many forums over last few days that they are Infact the same?

It's the rears that I'm struggling to work out what I'm buying for. They appear to be around 260 diameter and only to be 10mm thick. Not the stated 297x18 that I've read should be on the r32 turbos and 300zx's. What caliper and disks do I have? The thing is I've found a set of 300zx brake disks and pads on eBay that I'd like to buy, but am unsure if they will fit the rear of mine. In many ways.. Will the caliper take a 297 disk that's 18mm thick or do I need to rethink all of this and get some bigger calipers to match these larger disks, what doesn't help the situation is I know the rears are a drum/disk affair, which again I don't understand all too well, but from what I've read the 300zx's also had this setup which again made me want this set I'd found. Then there's depth aswell and then I get very confused. Any help would be great as the cars in the air now with no brakes and nothing in the pipeline. Thanks

Steve

2. Michael E36

Michael E36 Member

Best thing I think you can do is get r33 rear calipers and bolt them on. My r32 gts had 4x114.3 originally and small single pot brakes and I changed the hub only and cut the backplate to take the bigger discs, the inner shoes are the same and the caliper bolts straight on!

3. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

Have you ever heard the expression "a picture paints a thousand words?" I have a set of front Ferodo pads that were fitted to my R32 with alloy front calipers for precisely one week before I blew it up and were taken off when I broke it for spares. :)

4. BradMD

BradMD Member

Maybe if you can find out whether its 4 pot or the 2 pot front calippers, and if the rears are 2 pot or 1 pot?
    That might help identify what brake setup you have

5. Steve32

Steve32 New Member

Haha I have heard the expression but am a little rusty with how to get photos up here, photobucket or something? The front are a 4 pot but I think he upgraded them to the gtst/300zx alloy jobbie. And the rears are a 1pot caliper, the disk diameter is around 260mm and the disk width is between 9and 10mm.

6. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

R32 GTST front pads below from Conceptua, uprated Ferodos at a cost of £55. They were on the car for a week when I blew the engine. The came with 10mm meat on them, after bedding in they are sat at 9mm. I would like £40 posted

[​IMG]

7. Steve32

Steve32 New Member

Thanks for the help guys. Just to say I've decided to go 33 all round now. Fingers crossed it all bolts up ok.
    Steve