Bleeding braking system and hydraulic handbrake with an air compressor? Procedure?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by BH1, Jul 4, 2015.

1. BH1

BH1 Member

Hi,

I am bleeding my braking system and my hydraulic handbrake with an air compressor.

The brakes are working but the hydraulic handbrake doesn't seem to work very well.

I can slow down the car with the hydrauluc handbrake but I can not manage to lock the wheels.

I have a dual cylinder setup (2x 0.625 wilwood cylinders) as I wanted that the ABS and Traction Control systems remained functional.

The brake lines are mounted properly so the brake lines coming from the front are in the rear ports and the brake lines going to the back are in the front ports of the cylinders.

I think that there still might be some air trapped in the handbrake cylinders.

When I was bleeding the brake system with an air compressor I did not touched the handbrake lever.

Now I am asking myself If I have to pull the handbrake during my bleeding procedure although logic dictates that there is no need for it as my air compressor provides the pressure to flush the fluid through. Or maybe I am completely wrong about this aspect?

Another option might be that the handbrake cylinders (2x 0.625) are a bit too big and that I need smaller ones to create the right pressure?

What do you think?

2. Clark3y

Clark3y Member

Just bleed it the traditional way, press the pedal then pull the wand, close bleeder and repeat. Tbh, the cylinders are probably way too big, 0.625 is normally used to push 2 calipers not just 1!