Handbrake cables (re. Drum handbrake and geomasters)

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Clark3y, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Clark3y

Clark3y Member

Right guys, I have geomasters on the rear and skyline brakes. When fitting I did the usual thing and swapped the left and right brakes around. It worked but it was really crap compared to how it worked on the stock hubs. Read a bit online about it, normal problem with this setup. Some people said it was to do with the rotation of the shoes and swapping the shoes so they rotation is the same as it was would help. I tried this and it didn't help at all.

Thought about it a bit more and realised it is of course to do with the way the cable pulls at the top instead of the bottom. As the brake engages, the shoe shifts a bit with the rotation of the drum, and now that causes the cable to slacken off as the brake engages whereas in the stock configuration it pulls the cable tighter (how it does now when going backwards).

Anyway to the point, the way I see to fix this is to put the backing plates etc back on their original sides (now with the cable entry facing the rear) and use a cable long enough to loop 180degrees and go in through the rear (hurr).
    The question is, is there another model which uses a cable quite a bit longer than the R33 ones which I could use for this, perhaps from another manufacturer completely?

2. Marphie21

Marphie21 New Member

Is there any update on this?

Or any word from driftworks if they can resolve this issue?

3. tomsheen

tomsheen Active Member

Sorry can't really help with a solution but if your going buying them a pm to Phil or email to driftworks stores would surely give you an answer.