After the total bottom end decimation caused by an oil pump exploding at Japfest 2, we’ve been really struggling for time to get the car back together. Unfortunately it happened at possibly the worst time; Just as we were in the final stages of building and releasing our new Driftworks webshop. It’s a bit hard to comprehend just how much work has gone into our new shop, but it’s been the product of 8 months work, and for the first time in my life the car really had to come second.
After spectating at two JDM Allstars events, my right foot is twitching, and we’re really determined to get to the final round of BDC at Knockhill in Scotland. To do this is still going to be a challenge, but the guys have already put in a hell of a lot of hard work, and I feel like we’re getting somewhere.
So above we’ve got the new block, fresh from machining at Chesman Engineering. Bored for 86.5mm Mahle forged pistons pictured below, and slightly decked as it has been kicking about without a head on it for a while.
We also dug out a replacement crank from our engine stores that just needed a very light polish by Chesman Engineering. We’re using ACL race bearings again, and reusing the ARP conrod bolts and head bolts from the old engine. We also had a complete new gasket set from Whifbitz as we wanted to return to a stock headgasket.
In disassembling the engine, we found a slight issue with the turbo. It’s likely that it’s been like this for a while, but we figured it wouldn’t be right to put it back on in this condition. Check out the exhaust wheel damage.
Recently the Driftworks R32 had a Borg Warner turbo fitted, and I was so impressed with the power delivery I thought it was a must for the S15 as well, so Bon did some more research, and after speaking to Full Race in America who have good experience with them, we decided on the Borg Warner S300X T4 devided 1.10AR .
Visually the compressor is about the same size, but the exhaust housing is fapping huge! 😀
On the right is the old Garret GT4088R.
So this is where we’re at right now. We’re assembling the remaining external engine parts now, and we hope to be in a position to have the engine back in the S15 early next week. We’ll then go and run it in hard, dump the mineral oil in favour of an engines ‘nectar of the gods’: Motul 300v, and we’ll be off to see Greg at Protuner to see what boost we can throw at it.. I’m starting to get the boost buzz! 😀