So the original plan was a relatively simple and most importantly cheap turbo upgrade for my JZX110 Mark 2 project. I was thinking Holset, and a cut and shut manifold. Unfortunately then this turbo set up came to my attention being sold on the forum. It’s a Garrett GTX3076R on a 6Boost manifold with a Turbosmart 50mm Progate. My sensible (money saving) head was told to not be a fag, and I bought it.
Here’s the standard setup once I’d removed the heatshields and turbo inlet. The more modern VVTi 1JZGTE comes with a pretty decent sized single turbo setup.
Here’s a little close up showing just one of the reasons that a 6Boost manifold costs four times the price of the Chinese options. It’s a work of art, crafted from 4mm tube. The finish is a ceramic process.
The manifold was originally ordered for a JZX100, and unfortunately the external wastegate pipe left the wastegate hitting the brake servo on my 110, so Craig from Dynotorque made the tiny adjustment with his usual supreme tig welding skills.
While we were there Craig also made a turbo oil return.
Next it was time to look at the exhaust. I decided that I wanted to run 3.5″ from the turbo back, and I wanted it to be a quiet system as my ears appear to have become old, and use one of our QTP Exhaust Bypass Valves for full bore mental noise when I feel like being a twat. I also set Dynotorque an extremely difficult challenge: I didn’t want the 3.5″ pipe or silencers to compromise ground clearance AT ALL. They’ve become quite familiar with my difficult requests now :D.
Ad, (or Pigeon as he’s become affectionately known as by his sensei master welder) was roped into the build too. Here he’s prepping the downpipe for the bypass valve.
As part of “operation 3.5″ perfect ground clearance” I had the guys remove a section of the rear subframe, and weld in a reinforced section of 4″ pipe as a kind of tunnel for the exhaust to pass through the subframe.
Because the huge exhaust was having to go up so high into the car, the floor of the car was ‘relieved’ and a new system of exhaust hangers fabricated.
So much of the work done is almost impossible to show in pictures, as the space that Craig had to work with was tiny. The screamer pipe is one of these. It’s a bit of a work of art.
Here’s the new system from underneath, complete with two layer heat insulation so it doesn’t melt my trainers like our DW Skyline does (I hope).
A close up of the ‘Retard Valve’…
From the rear! We haven’t actually fitted the rear section yet as we’re waiting for the rear bumper to arrive. It’s a large silencer box that will exit at 3.5″ too.
And here’s the view from up top. It’s still not finished obviously, but after priming the turbo correctly, we fired the car up, and it sounds incredibly smooth. I’m chuffed!
Keep an eye on the Driftworks blog for the next instalment of Project JZX110. The Vertex aero should be arriving from Japan soon, and I have some sweet electronic bit’s to fit when I have the time too.
Many thanks to our Driftworks next door neighbours Dynotorque for their awesome fabrication skills!
– Phil Morrison
P.S. A couple of boring pictures of the ground clearance the car has. It will lay frame before it hits the exhaust! Perfect!
If you missed it, part 1 of the JZX110 build is here: JZX110 Mark II Build – Part 1 – Welding and Bashing