Mazda RX8 daily/drifter

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by side_view, Dec 16, 2012.

1. side_view

side_view Member

Picked this up monday and fell in love with it.
    drives lovely and handles great. Heard good and bad about them but thought what the hell il find out myself.
    Got it at a bargain price aswell. :).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So first of all the gay shopping lists had to go :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so with that done now all that needs doing is:

wheels
    suspension
    exhaust system
    brakes
    body kit
    BGW (maybe)
    and general maintenance to keep the 13b alive

2. mint

mint touch my fruit

Take all the chrome tat off it man. Surprised people still modify cars like this now adays .. poor rx8.

Anyway, do a good job of saving this one.

3. side_view

side_view Member

Its not chrome the grille and vents have been sprayed white. Going to be sticking a nice drifty kit on it any way then il have the vents sprayed at the same time.

4. sparkysparks

sparkysparks Member

its a style that has died out and its for the best i think, but there are still people who think that is the way to make a car look nice, good to see your rescuing this one. Your local to me aswell, maybe ill see you around

5. side_view

side_view Member

Maybe mate. Im always working as i run a night club so dont really get out and about much.
    If plans go right tomorrow il be getting some wheels and a exhaust sorted. :).

6. Dan507

Dan507 Member

Oh god my eye's!

You should put those grills on ebay. a large majority of RX8 owners are people having mid life crisis and like shiny things.

Make sure you check out RX8club.com

7. side_view

side_view Member

My mate has a mobile spray van so il have him put the vents on the wings to gloss black.
    The front bumper is being changed to something more to my taste as its got a nice scratch across it so rather then just get it sprayed il get a fibreglass kit all round and get them all sprayed together.

8. mint

mint touch my fruit

Make this.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its an rx7 but the rx8 bn kit is so nice.
    [​IMG]

#8 mint, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  9. side_view

side_view Member

Yes that is amazing.! Now just to find the kit.!

10. axxelf

axxelf New Member

Isnt it Bn Sports ? :)

11. Zogbee

Zogbee Member

Always had an intertest with these since you can pick one up for a cheap price!
    How is it treating you so far?

12. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

You are calling this project RX8 daily drifter so I am guessing you plan on drifting it.

I have seen more people attempt to drift RX8s than most as I work at Santa Pod Drift What Ya Brung days and have done for the last 3 years. My own advice would be to leave it exactly as it is, bring it to Pod in January for the first DWYB to skid it in the pens and learn donuts before you do any mods at all, this could save you a lot of money and effort.

I'm guessing you could spend:

Wheels - £500
    Tyres - £400
    Exhaust - £350
    Brakes - £400
    Body Kit - £500
    Respray - ??
    BGW - £250

So pretty much £2500, on top of the price of the car.

What you'll find out at DWYB is that it'll overheat in about 5 minutes flat, it won't skid unless you're near to the limiter and by that time you've already spun out. Although many have tried, very few have returned with an RX8 to do a second drift day.

If you turn up to Pod, you'll see the pits filled with BMW E36's, S13's, S14's and the odd Skyline, 5 series Bimmers and a splattering of MX5s and the occasional RX7. They are all good reliable skid cars (apart from the RX7) that people use month in month out for drift practice days.

If you come to Pod in the car before you spend all the money on mods you might think, that it's probably best to keep the RX8 as a posh daily and get the paintwork toned down, maybe fit a subtle kit and use on the road. Then buy a more suitable base car and modify it to your taste.

I hope you don't mind my honest opinion on this occasion...

Ian. :p

#12 Blackett, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  13. the hat

the hat Active Member

Urghh I've done 4 years of drift days ndc etc all driven too and from in an rx and never had a problem so ignore blackett on the reliability as there is a lot that can be said for maintenance but he's right that they ain't a great car for drifting but I just got given an rx8 breeding a rebuild so I'll be giving it a bash once it's up and running

14. side_view

side_view Member

Im not silly when i comes to spending money. Il hunt for a bargain all day. The car owes me pennies. Iv been to see dan at db power and we have already come up with a plan for it if the engine goes. Il come up for a try at pod see what happens. If it fails then il take the advice but if not il just make it better. :).

15. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

That's great.

I know I mentioned the reliability of other cars but that's not the real issue, RX8's are difficult to learn to drift in from what I've seen. None of your 'to do' list would make the car any easier to drift. So you might end up with a 'drift look' car that you can't skid. :(

Here is a general guide:

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/faq...ift-modifications-drift-day-preparations.html

By the way, who does the E30 belong to in your pics? Why not drift that?

Ian. :p

16. side_view

side_view Member

My mates next door. M52b28 single vanos power ;).

17. side_view

side_view Member

Took it for a oil and filter change with some fresh 5w30 magnatec (got quoted for shite oil so told them ermm no)
    New front pads
    And full decat back exhaust.
    So she is nicely freshened up abit. Little money for alot of piece of mind.

18. mint

mint touch my fruit

haha I was going to say, From drift events iv gone to the rx7's are the ones that always manage to get home after the session.. Where as the silvias.. well, most blow up and get trailer ed home, yet still.. everyone grasps onto this concept that there the best thing since sliced bread....

19. oli_the_thread

Saw this in the flesh on hockliffe road last night mate, get them tacky bits gone! Looks hideous as is! But that BN kit will look the bollocks!

20. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

IMO the 'RX8s cant drift' thing is the same as 'MX5s cant drift' thing, it's total bollocks, it's the drivers, not the cars or the mods needed.

An RX8 should be a better drift car than an MX5 tbh...