what engine into a s body??

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by DR1FTER, Jun 13, 2010.

1. DR1FTER

DR1FTER Active Member

right well as the sr20 has spun a barring im thinking what are my options as my sr20 hasn't been the most reliable engine i have ever had and not to keen on the amount of gearboxes and rocker arms i may have to go through if i compete with that engine.

now . . . . . . if you was to put a engine into a ps13 what would it be and what would u do to it??

the conditions are i dont want a sr20 so dont say to install one as i dont trust them anymore so talk to me also have to be pretty easy to get parts for and have to be fairly reliable:D

2. Ginger-J

Ginger-J Member

i think nootys jz set up is perfect so my vote is for the 1jz

3. diamondsink

diamondsink Kyouto Drift

No stick with the SR! Unless you planing on shifting the engine back under the bulk head like the DW 15.

An SR is damm reliable you cant be looking after it! With a RAS kit you shouldn't be throwing rockers. I admit the gearboxes are a weak point be with solid mounts, freq oil changes and a little mechanical sympathy they hold out fine. There always an RB box too.

4. DR1FTER

DR1FTER Active Member

ok well the engine i had had new oil mobile 15w50 every 600miles, and ran 405bhp you tell me a sr that has been reliable with that power and runs daily and does events?? erm maybe no one in bdc definatly not that im aware of maybe someone that you know???

How does the 2jz being pushed back compared to say danny eyles's s15 rb now that isn't pushed back and he's been winning shit all this year so far and basicly half of last year in bdc and prodrift, its all about how the car is setup imo i.e chris carpenters s15, danny eyles s15, dylan t's s14a all setup very well with no apparent problems without having there 6 cyl engine being pushed back, maybe it is better but how much better can it be??

5. Brunosr13

Brunosr13 old school fun

Depends how much money and time free you have to pratice near every week and set up your car proply.

6. daz_s13

daz_s13 Member

IIRC Matt Carter has been running a stock SR at 400ish for at least the last two years!

7. DR1FTER

DR1FTER Active Member

bruno you say that but how much practise does it take?

as everyone knows drifting is all about seat time no matter what setup you have, now look at shayne lynch 2nd place at his 2nd drive in the v8 s15 now the v8 must be heavier than the jz's and no visable setup or practise before the event to get used to it and that isn't pushed back

im not tring to be awkward i mearly asked what engine would u put in that isn't a sr?

8. DR1FTER

DR1FTER Active Member

daily driven?

9. daz_s13

daz_s13 Member

Was for a good while as I was out in it on the roads a good few times!

10. Robbs

Robbs FRANTIC

i've always liked the idea of a 350z engine in an s-body, i dont know a hell of a lot about the engines or if they're decent and reliable, i just like the idea of having 300bhp NA powers :cool:, although i imagine you'd be wanting more power than that, also being only 3 cyl long its gotta be good for balance ???

#10 Robbs, Jun 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  11. DR1FTER

DR1FTER Active Member

fair play, didn't realise his was 400+ plus before this year

yeah did look into the vq35 with a supercharger like they are doing in the states atm pushing 500bhp, would be nice :D

12. Sturge

Sturge Active Member

maybe a bit left field but waht about a z32 TT?? can pick the whole car up cheap enough now and get everything you need?

I own an RB25 S13 and it does put a smile on my face, :) when i first fitted it it instantly felt heavier on the front and noticed the stopping force was different, but didnt take too long to get used to

If i were to do it all again id prob get some v8 powerz as the RB gets expensive not only fueling but getting bits for and the jap tax, with a V8 N/A on a carb it wud prob be faultless just needing oil and filter changes.

you can buy nearly 500hp out of the box crate engine from the states!

13. diamondsink

diamondsink Kyouto Drift

Sounds like you know what you want already, you can make anything work and get good at driving it.

14. DR1FTER

DR1FTER Active Member

i dont know i.e why i posted the thread:wack:

i understand what u mean about the weight difference but i dont think it makes that much when most of the top drivers have swaped there sr20's out for something different cant be a bad thing having a slightly heavier front end?

15. Z31Turbo

Z31Turbo Member

I'd say VQ would be a nice swap. here's a vid of one in a Z31.

[ame=http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q154/nismogab/?action=view&current=MVI_0055.flv]vq35dez31 video by nismogab - Photobucket[/ame]

16. Blackadder

Blackadder Rawr!

My thoughts were always that the VQ35DE would balance an S body better if anything ? Anyone know if its been done before ? Or how about a boxer engine :p although bit out of the ordinary. Sits nice and low and far back.

17. Sam H

Sam H Troll Dispatch

Decent Red top SR, rb25-Gbox, Oil changes after every drift day, rocker stoppers.

Done.

18. DR1FTER

DR1FTER Active Member

done, not done, done and done - but still breaks

been speaking to polo about rebuilding a sr for me with some extra parts so that might help lol

19. choppa

choppa Mark Lappage

bagsey won bdc 2009 with this set up start of with a polo engine job done mate :thumbs:

20. Phoenix

Phoenix D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F

ls1 with gto oil pan, t56 6 speed manual gearbox. conversion kit to mount engine and tranny to s13 subframe and done. Skint, but done