JZX90/100 which model??

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by HOODS, Jun 15, 2010.

1. HOODS

HOODS Member

So i'm thinking about getting rid of my 1999 200sx s14a and importing a jzx90 or jzx100

I've just recently got into them so don't know that much about the different models i.e chaser mk2 and the cresta.

All i know and this might be wrong.

MK2 is the base jzx
    chaser is the sport model
    cresta is the luxuary model

i will be using the car as a daily for me the missus and my 2 kids and the occasional skid day so want decent comfort but still decent handling and power.

which is the best in your opinion and why.

oh and if any of you have any inspirational pics of either then throw them up.

cheers lads :thumbs:

2. Gregd125

Gregd125 Member

The Cresta, Mark II, and Chaser all share the same chassis but just have different body shapes. As far as I know you can get Tourer V(top spec) models of each variation of the series.

I bought my 100 to cart the young fella around in and it was perfect for the job with ample amounts of room inside with a huge boot. Unfortunately you can't put anythinng in the boot because it'll smack of the inside of the quarter panel and leave a nice dent in it.
    They're a grand comfortable car and will eat up the miles no hassle while using not that much petrol at all. They're easier on petrol than SR20's apparently.

Pretty amazing car to skid about in and will do third gear all day long and they have taxi like lock as standard.

As for what model to go for... I'd go for a 100 series Cresta because they're rarer than the other two. I wouldn't bother with a Mark II because personally i think they're the ugliest variation.

Picture thread here...

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/media-section/100128-chaser-cresta-mark-ii.html

Unfortunately it's looking like I'm going to have to sell mine and it's breaking my heart. :(

3. mint

mint touch my fruit

go for a 110 dude :p there the sex!

[​IMG]

my next car after the 14........ (me hopes)

4. Ysracing

Ysracing Guest

i have them both. jzx90 and jzx100.

i think the jzx100 was better looking and daily.
    because its more comfort and have more luxuary feel. but when saying this, my 100 is box standard.
    also have better low down torque.
    but the down side are more trouble when modify for skid., i.e play with the TRC, ETC.

my jzx90 was a drifter, rear cage still keep back seat, 2 way, coilover..etc
    the ride are stiff, everythings solid. talls happy on dry or wet. but you have to pay attention in wet a lot of fun i will say.

both car are very same in size, i feel the jzx90 have more boot room, like Gregd said, you need somethings to hold the stuff in the boot, other wise they will just give you dent on both 1/4

but the after market parts for them is very expensive.
    i got a quote for a CF bonnet for my 90 Cresta, shipped £830
    but some parts still can buy from toyota UK.
    i bought a standard clutch kit from them only £320

this is my 90, i still cant design should i sell it or keep it.:smash:
    [​IMG]

5. Pure Performance UK

Pure Performance UK Active Member

I got a JZX90 and love it. Can get good power out of them for not a huge amount of money and the engines last forever. Parts are hard to come by and expensive but with a bit of a hunt you can usually find someone breaking one. Julian at garage d seems to be building up a stock of parts...i've been busy buying off him recently.

Don't know much about the JZX100 other then it comes with the VVTI engine which improves fuel consumption and better low down torque but this fuel consumption benefit will be lost with any ECU tuning. Will still make better torque bottom end but saying that they make so much torque anyway you won't be left wanting.

They aren;t that expensive to run...if you can refrain from using boost all the time on the motorway they will do 40mpg and around town a good 30mpg. I even managed to get mine to run at about 50mpg one day but it was seriously careful driving and bored the hell out of me. lol.

i may sell mine if someone offers the right money if you are seriously interested in a JZX90 Mark II.

6. YashioFactory

YashioFactory Active Member

hmm,

i do like these cars, the 100 has to be the more moden looking car,
    but the 90 has the JDM feel about it.

only thing i would be a bit worried about is the parts, and if things went wrong with it, would you be able to diagnose it and replace parts?

e.g. you can try parts off an S13 for your S13 easy enough, as everyone has them/plenty of support/parts available

7. TwistaPhoto

TwistaPhoto Member

I'm with Mint :). Absoloutely love that body style, just looks awesome so easily. Also good to see you still kicking it Hoods! :thumbs:

8. Storm Chaser

Storm Chaser Member

Something that has not been mentioned is that the 100 series has the factory single turbo vvti engines. Where as the 90 would have the original 1JZ twin turbo.Mine had all HKS parts on with quite a measly GT2835 roller bearing turbo which mounted on a stock manifold and with the other associated mods made in the very high 400 bhp mark. What you have to also bare in mind is that the engine was also available in the 96 on Soarer too. Parts are'nt really that hard to come buy as it runs a R154 box. aftermarket parts like say a HKS GD max twin plate cost me £980 from Japan, os giken 1.5way from RB Motorsport cost me just over 1100 with the oil for it too. Suspension is a fraction different from the Soarer and the Supra, IIRC it was only down to how the rear shocks bolt on to the arm, I think that the Chaser has a rubber mount that slots in to the arm where as the Supra/Soarer has a fork that goes outside the arm or vice versa. Between the 2 generations though is a hard one, at the end of the day buy what you can afford, you wont be dissapointed which ever one you get.

9. cookwibble

cookwibble Active Member

if you get a 90 get a mark ii
    if you get 100 get a chaser

10. HOODS

HOODS Member

cheers for the replies lads. so whatever 1 i go for it should be a tourer v?

if i have the money at the time i would like the jzx100 due to the single turbo and the low down power but might not have the wonga for it. Defo dont have the ££££ for a x110

Also what are these like insurance wise?? compared to a s14a?

cheers twista

11. Kenji

Kenji Active Member

Other way round, mate.

Cresta = basic, Chaser = sporty, MarkII = luxury

And the Tourer-V is deffo the one to go for. Anything less won't have the awesome 1JZ-GTE in it.

I have a JZX90 MarkII as my daily and occasional track car and love it.
    Very smooth ride (when the HKS coilies are on soft setting) and power delivery is very smooth (511 hp).
    The only downside in daily driving is the aggressive HKS triple plate clutch:wack:

[​IMG]

12. Autospecs

Autospecs JDM Car Export

JZX100 is the way to go, we have been shipping a few lately so the popularity is increasing and also the prices are coming down to realistic levels now.

13. RXsteve

RXsteve Member

WOW where did you get those headlight browse from :wave:

Looking good Kenji

heres mine -
    [​IMG]

14. Pure Performance UK

Pure Performance UK Active Member

Insurance is not that bad. I pay just over £1000 per year fully comp and im 22 with 4 years ncb. Compared to skyline which is actually a worse car its a lot cheaper. I imagine itll be a bit more then an S14.

15. cookwibble

cookwibble Active Member

i paid £780 at 23 with 5yrs ncb, limited milage. so not too bad. half what i was quoted on an r33 gtst which is an inferior car

16. mitto

mitto -NIGHTSPIRT FAMILY-

i have a fairly nice example of a jzx90 for sale... :D

17. Thomas

Thomas Needs seattime ASAP

Personally I prefer the JZX90. The 100 is good looking and all, but a bit to modern for my taste.

18. alex_200sx

alex_200sx Active Member

Drift Dango has got a JZX90 Cresta for sale

19. Gianni

Gianni New Member

Nah definitely not a roulant g cresta is way more Luxury than a chaser I have had both heaps of different luxury options on the cresta