sr20det engine problem, any ideas?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by richy200, Jul 29, 2010.

1. richy200

richy200 -NightWalkers-

Hey guys i wonder if these issues with my sr are tell tale signs of something.

When i start the car from cold the car idle's at around 1000 rpm and then when it's warm it idle's at 1500rpm.

now and again when stationary (and the car is warm) the revs drop to say 200rpm and then pick back up. It has become more serious and i have driven the car today and it's doing it everysingle time the car is stationary and when i lift of the throttle and dip the clutch.

To accompay this issue as of today i am getting a missfire ( maybe missfire is the wrong word to use here). If you put the car in first gear on a 100 metre straight road it will almost like fuel cut about 3 or so times. You know when an intercooler pipe pops off and you press the accelerator and you get like a burbeling noise and no power?? it's like that for a split second and then there's power straight away. Car is still pulling well. This is not really noticable.

I don't know if this is related but say i'm in first and change into second, as soon as i leave the clutch out and press the accelerator it kind of feels like something is holding the car back for half a second before the power comes in. It does this in every gear and pretty much always has (it's not that bad and cant notice it if your on the power quick enough) If you change gear and slowly accelerate it's much more noticable

I'm going to try a different idle control valve, check all boost pipes (i'm sure they are all fine as car pulls well when i floor it)

will clean the maf, change the plugs and maybe just compression test the lump.

any idea's what could cause these issues besides the obvious?

it wouldn't be the fuel pump starting to go would it? do they show tell tale signs before they die or do they just go? it seems to me as i accelerate she is leaning out a little and that is causing the slight hold back between gears, it feels like fuel cut only ever so slightly though

#1 richy200, Jul 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  2. rx7phil

rx7phil Member

Sounds like an idle control valve maybe, if it's sticking open will cause the same faults as you discribe, did a Subaru Tuesday with same faults and if was idle control valve, take it off and clean it out, try the air flow meter, won't be fuel, wouldnt drive through the rev range, hope that helps

3. richy200

richy200 -NightWalkers-

ah ok great stuff was worried that it might have been fuel related. Will have a look later. Cheers dude

4. tech

tech i

Seams like you've listed a good few possibilities dude, try them first and if no cure move onto fuel, coils ect :thumbs:

5. richy200

richy200 -NightWalkers-

Will do mate :thumbs:

6. richy200

richy200 -NightWalkers-

ok i have changed the idle control valve and that has made a difference. So far it doesn't seem to fuel cut well it hasn't yet. Also the car now idle's at 800 revs as opposed to 1500 revs.

I have one issue left which i don't know what it is. When i press the accelerator before the revs go up, the revs drop. When i drive the car and i dip the clutch as i'm moving the revs drop and the car cuts out sometimes, sometimes the revs just drop to 200 and pick back up.

Here is a vid of what i am talking about. This was when the car was idling onthe drive, out of gear. As you can see in the vid (more so at the end of the vid) the revs drop almost to 0rpm when i dab the accelerator. If i press the accelerator quite hard the revs will just go straight up.

any help would be apprecieated guys thanks............also i apologise for the shitty phone recording, it's an old phone. You can here the sound but you'll need to crank your speakers up :thumbs:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p87e4f7k0c4]YouTube - s15 idle.mp4[/ame]

7. sx-si

sx-si anti-copy parts

thats most likly just because of a bov
    h-dev recirc or a good recirc fixes that issue

8. fredrft14

fredrft14 Member

I had the same issue...deleted BOV and problem solved. before anytime i let off the gas it would drop to 200 or completely die out.

9. Flymo18

Flymo18 Member

I had a friend with the same problem in a CA... He was over-fuelling because of a massive gash in his intercooler piping that he hadn't noticed. Bogged down like a bitch @ WOT and then all of a sudden it came on to power... sorry if what im telling you is useless :wack:

10. rx7phil

rx7phil Member

Yup was going to say bov, glad my first bit of advise helped lol

11. cookiemonster

cookiemonster Active Member

O no mate have you sorted this yet ??

12. richy200

richy200 -NightWalkers-

No not yet, i'm going to put the stock recirc back in to see if it makes any difference. However i have been running with the pigeon mod for ages and the car has only recently started cutting out on approach to junctions when braking lightly