apexi power fc + commander

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by copeyhagen, Aug 4, 2010.

1. copeyhagen

copeyhagen Member

hey all,

I picked up an apexi power fc and commander off a lad my jzx100 chaser last night, i was running standard ecu.

it has been mapped for him for his jzx100, with mods (i think) fmic, induction kit, exhaust and decat and iridium plugs.

my cars running fmic, exhaust, cat is in (i think), and standard panel filter.

question is will the car need to be remapped asap? and would it be safe to drive the car on the power fc with the map that suited his car on it, just till i get it mapped?

cheers

rob

2. DANB

DANB Active Member

you need to find out exactly what the other car had modifgied to it.

Ideally you will need a remap - or if you have access to wideband and det cans - put it on and take it for a little drive and see what it likes - you may be luck in that its just running rich but not severly and no det detected.

3. croustibat

croustibat Member

I dont know this engine. Does it run with a MAF ? (looks like it, you would have needed a power FC d-jettro if it ran a map sensor)

If the boost did not increase much (2-3psi) over standard when fitting the intercooler and the exhaust, you dont really need a remap as long as you dont thrash it all the time : the standard mappings on turbo car of this era is always rich and quite conservative on ignition timing.

Which is why there is quite some horsepower, torque and engine response to gain from a remap, and the same reason why you need to use high quality fuel (and high octane) after a remap; this "security" is removed.

You could drive with the powerFC and the mapping of your friend as long as you really are sure you have the same MAF and injectors, if he did map transitional loads as well as max load and idle. You will just not reach the high load area. Dont thrash the car if the weather is hot though, depending on the grade of the plugs he and you used (irridium dont make much different at this level of tuning), you could melt something. If you have an AFR and EGT sensors and gauges, just double check them often (but i think if you had these you would not ask this ;) )

4. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle In Safe Hands

You’re a fucking idiot.

OP - while you could physically drive it, it's not advisable to do so at all. Every engine is different and you don’t know the quality of the map, boost level used, injectors, fuel pressure etc. The whole point of having a programmable stand alone ECU is that you map it specifically to your own engine/vehicle. Leave your standard ECU in place until you have the money to get it done properly.

High octane fuel or any of the other stuff is a nice safety buffer but shouldn’t be used as a substitute for a good remap.

5. ducatichick

ducatichick Drift Spice

This ^^ :thumbs: 1000%

6. manfoot

manfoot TEAM GREEN

i feel amazed i actually agree with bizzle for once

7. croustibat

croustibat Member

first, read what i wrote. i did not know it was a 1JZ in that car, and YES there will be no problem at all, while all engine may be different, a MAF based system is a MAF based system, it works with airflow mass, and filter panel, intercooler or exhaust will NOT screw the system because they have no impact on the measure itself. This is not a MAP system.

Changing the MAF or the injectors will. Freeing the exhaust and the intake will make boost go higher, which may be dangerous as the load will go off the scale ... but not for a 2 to 3 psi increase, manufacturers are not stupid, remember the cars are sold in a lot of country and they are not mapped for each. 3psi increase could be what you get when driving in very cold weather, the ECU is mapped for that.

Considering what the OP said about the mods, YES IT IS PERFECTLY SAFE, as long as he makes sure there are no other mods. And it will be safe on any turbo car of this era ...

#7 croustibat, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  8. sideways.taff

sideways.taff - www.tafftune.com -

Step away from the keyboard and stop trying to sound intelligent.

9. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle In Safe Hands

<sigh>
    Can we please ban this chap from posting in the technical sections?

No, it's not "Perfectly Safe" your comparing a very conservative region and country specific manufacturer fuel and ignition map to a standalone system that could have been tuned by any tom, dick or harry.

How do you know that the ECU hasn't been tuned at a 14.1 on tesco 99 right across the map by a crackhead with a laptop? You don't. You also don't really know the extent of the mods on the other persons car. Even things like mileage of the engine, static compression, ignition system and fuel type are going to effect the way the fuel and ignition map are written.

A Mass Air Flow system will to some extent compensate for fluctuations in altitude/atmospheric density. The ECU will also make adjustments to the map and timing based on water temperature, but if the MAP is wrong then the basis to make any adjustments is fundamentally flawed.

So do us a favour. If you don't have a fucking clue what your talking about, fuck off back where you came from and stop polluting technical threads with mis-information.

If this chap just throws that PFC-L in his car and fries a set of piston rings/dets a piston. It'd be your fault.

Stop being a cock.

10. copeyhagen

copeyhagen Member

please lets not hijack the thread with insults,

thanks for all comments. injectors in his car are standard and so are mine afaik.

i of course plan on getting it remapped but it could be a week or 2 and i might be driving the car in between that time.

i just dont want the car dyin on me in the meantime!!

11. iansr33

iansr33 Member

just leave the oem one in then till you can get the power fc mapped

12. copeyhagen

copeyhagen Member

just a bit more info, it was mapped by robbie at trackday performance (www.tdp.ie) for 95 ron aswell afaik.

13. copeyhagen

copeyhagen Member

i swapped my oem one with cash for the power fc

14. Pure Performance UK

Pure Performance UK Active Member

Wait a couple of weeks till you get it mapped. Running with the Power FC is not a good idea. You'd probably be fine but better to be safe then sorry for the sake of 2 weeks. It'll probably run rich as fook if you put it on your car. If you had a piggyback system on your car then there is an element of self-adjusting eg. changing turbo on not remapping but I'm not sure about standalone units cos they aren't using the standard ecus parameters.

The 1JZ uses a MAP sensor btw.

15. croustibat

croustibat Member

wow. Why for ? Not saying the same as you ?

Now then, read the ops message, he says what has been modded on his car and on his friends car.

and he is asking about driving, not racing or drifting it. so based on
    1/what he wrote in the first post
    2/what i wrote past the first words (which you obviously did not read, and states to verify if they are the only mods and the condition the mapping was done)
    3/what has been answered by the op since then about the remap
    4/my experience at mapping my CA18DET and my 7MGTE (which not many people do) and running them on e85

yes, DRIVING the car will not cause any problem.

I am getting tired with people attitude here, who do you think you are ? What allows you to insult me like you do ?

Errrr ... no. i am comparing a manufacturers setup which is the same worldwide and an optimized setup made by someone else, based on this one. Basically, a "stage1" custom map. (If you had ever mapped a car and compared to a "stage 1" off the shelf chip, you would have found they are pretty similar, if not you missed something). But i guess being any tom, dick or harry, that does not count,eh ?

you did not read my post nor the op's one, so do it again.

The map cant be that wrong or the car would not even work, again. Have you ever mapped something ?

Do yourself a favour, stop insulting people.

16. ducatichick

ducatichick Drift Spice

17. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle In Safe Hands

Then go back to the SXOC....ohhhh...ewwww... that's right....:no:

I'm the bizzle.

See above.

18. scouse

scouse Active Member

copyhagen i have always been led to believe that when you change a few parts on your car it will need a remap to get the safest and optimum power from them.

you say your car is pretty much the same spec as his how do you no if he has a uprated fuel pump and a fuel presure reg set for more flow than your standard one or anything else for that matter.

my answer is simple phone a mapper explain the situation and im sure he will tell you the same as a lot of people would DO NOT USE IT.

Its your engine do what you want to but dont say you were not told

Good luck:thumbs:

19. jamespayne5

jamespayne5 Active Member

In short, it might be safe, then again it might not be.
    Depends if you want to risk lunching your jz?

20. copeyhagen

copeyhagen Member

cheers for replies, my intentions were always to get it mapped, i just wanted to know if i could drive from a to b with the power fc with his map.

think shes in next thursday to get mapped.

rob