AE86 Trueno: Whole bagofun project

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by PhilMorrison, Dec 26, 2010.

1. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison Driftworks Owner
    Staff Member

As always, this started with the purchase of a car I intended to just use for a while, make some nice little changes to make it my own, and not go to nuts with it. Unfortunately after just a couple of weeks of ownership the car started running really badly, and a compression test resulted in these figures:
    Cylinder 1: 11.1 bar
    Cylinder 2: 4 bar
    Cylinder 3: 6.8 bar
    Cylinder 4: 7 bar
    wahhhh!!!!
    Also I bought the car knowing it needed a little bit of welding to sort out scabby rear arches, and some weird rusty area's where the a pillar met the sills, but as always, on inspection it was a little worse than we first thought.. Thank god Mr SteveO loves a challenge. Anyway, pictures do a much better job of explaining the two weeks of hardcore work that Paz, Steveo and myself have put into it.
    My broken 16v in a dirty engine bay
    [​IMG]

That was no match for the Paz! Two hours to do a tidy job of removing it I think
    [​IMG]

One of the area's of rust I knew about was under the brake master cylinder where it's obviously dripped at some point and not been cleaned up. It's only surface rust, but it looks pretty gross
    [​IMG]

Mr Steveo got busy chopping out the rust down the Apillar. It was loads worse than I first thought. And the reason? Well someone had decided to repair a small bit of rust in the past by firing loads of body filler at it. Which resulted in it pooling water and doing this level of damage.. What the hell were they thinking?
    [​IMG]

Some nice template making and really acurate use of Steveo's awesome Bosche Electric metal sheers, and it was time to get to the welding.
    [​IMG]

Seriously chuffed with how it came out after the welds were ground back. Just the final peice where the sill meets the door to be fabbed.
    [​IMG]

The other side was nearly as bad... Steveo could hardly bear to look at it :D
    [​IMG]

Again, really happy with how this came out.
    [​IMG]

On to the rears arches. We'd already chopped the rust out, but steveo insisted we pull it right back to a where the panels meet, and found that Toyota miss out some pretty serious structural welding inside the inner and outer sill, so that was done and again some great metalwork to make it like new.
    [​IMG]

Grinding back the welds to make it a panel again
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back to the first front Apillar work. I etch primed it, and it starts to look right again.
    [​IMG]

While steveo did the welding Paz did an awesome job of prepping the engine bay.. A seriously horrible job!!!
    [​IMG]

Steveo's busy in the bay, and you can also see the second front apillar repair, now etch primed and seam sealed.
    [​IMG]

Well, it'd be rude not to stitch weld the engine bay after all of this hard work!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some nice shutz work on all four inner arches.. Just like new!
    [​IMG]

Me and Paz went to town etch priming the engine bay with Upol acid 8 .
    [​IMG]

Paz did more of the horrible work, steam cleaning, prepping and painting the front crossmember and lower arms.
    [​IMG]

And what better to do on a Christmas Eve? Well I wanted to get some more done, and see what the new colour the whole car will be looks like.. I'm really really happy with it, (despite finding out that Beezy just painted his 86 in exactly the same colour :D)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a sneak peak of the Driftworks exclusive 15x8" ET0 Rota Grid V..
    Cookies and Cream!! :D
    [​IMG]

More updates coming soon, but I'm pretty happy with the progress for two weeks work.

2. Chan Dapman

Chan Dapman Active Member

Tidy.
    What are you doing about the engine then? I assume you're keeping the 1.6 and ITBs?

3. redwood

redwood Member

Nice work, what plans do you have for engine?

4. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

I've got a 20v from our new resident traders TJZ Engineering :worthy:. I've got a TTT RWD thermostat housing, a Striker modified 36-1 trigger wheels for the VEMS ecu, and some Catcams that are the highest lift and duration whilst retaining the VVTI as well. I'm really hoping for a genuine 160bhp, but we'll see, as I really enjoyed the 16v on ITB's even though it was probably about 100bhp :D

5. mcgldrck2

mcgldrck2 Member

lookin good!!!

6. HeftyDanielson

I do love it when you speak dirty Phil.. :p

7. redwood

redwood Member

sounds good, I think they are too underpowered standard. Have you been driving about birmingham before your engine troubles as I'm sure I've seen a glimpse of your car, sounded quite loud?

8. Tony N

Tony N Member

Bloody Corollas :D
    Should easily see way over 160bhp with those cams and a decent aggressive tune!

9. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

I forgot to mention the whole point of the car... I want an extreme alternative to the S15, and something to do lot's of laps of whatever track I want as well.. Something that's slow as fuck, requires a completely different driving style, and something that means I don't have to change tyres every two laps :wack:. All my buds have MX5's which are totally awesome on track, but I just couldn't hack the gayness, so I bought an older, shitter car for 4 times the price of an MX5 :wack: makes a lot of sense doesn't it :wack:

10. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

Yep, often found at 8.5k rpm on the streets of Birmingham :D. The car has an amazingly loud induction noise.

11. milez

milez Active Member

Send steveo round when your finished with him:nod:.. His work is awesome:thumbs:

Looking good Phil. When you hoping to have it finished?

12. superclarkey

superclarkey DORITECH MOTORSPORT

Nice work, can't wait to see it done :-)

13. nikkisixx69

nikkisixx69 Active Member

thats some seriously clean welding!!!!!!!

14. redwood

redwood Member

It's amazing how much time and money go into these old cars, I am constantly being told to sell mine and get a M3 or something similar with the money, I just can't do it as the heart rules the head.

Are you planning to do on anything with the t50, although I think it should be ok if your gentle with it?

15. cefiro_drifta

cefiro_drifta Mad pointing Munky

16. |BUDA|

|BUDA| Member

nice work paz phil is just the boss hehe

the 15x8 are 114.3 ?

17. FreddieS

FreddieS Active Member

Loving this project, but out of interest, where youve done the "seam" welding, what was the reason for using tacks instead of 1-2" of seam welds?

Just interested, as I personally prefer the way it looks as it seems more even, but is there a theory behind it?

Look forward to seeing more progress :)

18. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

Not long after the new year with a little luck :)

I didn't think I'd have problems at 160bhp? I'd love a quaife sequential, but that's not going to happen, so stock will do :D

We've got them in 4x114.3 and 4x100 :)

19. damo_s13

damo_s13 unknown

From what i have read the T50 box is ok if your nice to it up to around the 200-250hp mark but you can smash one with stock powers if you nasty with it

Them rota's are nice mite get myself sum but need to sort a few other bits out 1st.

20. NikDev

NikDev Drifts a Swede

15x8" ET0 Rota Grid V = yes please!