MCNSPORT: Need for Speed D-Mac 86

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Darren McNamara, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Darren McNamara

Darren McNamara SR86 pilot

[​IMG]
    Here is a quick update for you guys on the Need for Speed D-Mac '86. Our mock up exhaust manifold has been sent to Martelius exhausts in Finland along with our front and rear coolant pipes to be ceramic coated. Here is a shot of the new Martelius manifold being welded in Finland.

[​IMG]
    And here is the finished product. I think you'll agree they have done a great job and the new manifold will be at MCNSPORT HQ very shortly for final fitment.

[​IMG]
    As mentioned above Martelius offer a ceramic coating service. The two treatments we will be using on the D-Mac '86 are a 'Thermal Barrier' and a 'dispersant'. The manifold and eventually the turbine housing of the Owens Developments turbo will be coated with the 'Thermal Barrier' which not only lowers the under bonnet temperatures but also prevents the loss of energy from the exhaust gases to the manifold and housing through heat absorption. The second 'dispersant' treatment will be applied to the intercooler and inlet manifold etc and this actually improves the metals ability to disperse heat and should lead to much cooler intake temps. The coolant pipes will also get coated, the hot pipe from the engine to the radiator with a 'thermal barrier' and the cold pipe from the radiator to the engine with the 'dispersant'

[​IMG]
    While the chassis was being painted, it gave us a chance to prep the motor and transmission for final fitment. For me no engine compares to rotary when at this stage. The contrasting colours of irons and rotor housings is just so cool!! We were working pretty hard as you can see from all the abandoned spanners ! LOL!

[​IMG]
    Here we are at paint. Every process of this build is done in house so this is in my make shift spray booth in the corner of the shop. Thats is Dan in the back round who does all the painting here. The underneath of the car resembles swiss cheese from all the drilling of spot welds holding brackets that we deemed unnecessary.

[​IMG]
    With the underneath painted its was time to flip it over and paint inside and under the bonnet. Feels great to get to this stage and get all the fab work done and now when something gets bolted on it can actually be tightened and wont be coming off again, hopefully for a long time.

Here is a link to the official Speedhunters update
    BUILDS>> TEAM NFS D-MAC AE86 PT.IV - Speedhunters

2. Aripug

Aripug Member

This is a great project!
    Man...your work is incredible!
    A big ciao and a lot of respect from Italy!
    (sorry for my english)
    :thumbs:

3. tubs

tubs Member

respeckt
    i am unworthy :worthy::wave::worthy:

4. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Awesome.
    Surprised didn't use a twin scroll T4 turbine housing on the GT35 though rather than the single scroll, but tis badass :worthy:

5. r30jew

r30jew Member

ace! just ace!

6. Darren McNamara

we dont think it will be such on a big deal on the rotary. on a piston mother we wouldn think twice

we will see when she is going and the development begins

7. Colbskee

Colbskee Member

Very Quality work. I love this car. It's probably somewhere in the thread but i must have missed it, What rear axle are you using in this?

8. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Well thats the thing, the rotary boys all wank off about the big difference twinscroll makes, theres even Mazda papers showing the effects (as S5 FC T2s had a twinscroll as standard).
    Personally, I think there more important things to worry about, and seen 13Bs get over 500 horse from a single scroll 35, so fair play :nod:

9. Darren McNamara

The current axle is based on a Nissan Vanette axle but has been modified quiet a bit

It is not our first choise axle but is proven to work well. The axle will be replaced with something very special later this year

10. ibz.

ibz. New Member

nice work mate... good job

11. Darren McNamara

[​IMG]

Okay, the Need for Speed D-Mac '86 is back to its build bay in the shop which is getting more and more untidy as the weeks go on! Hopefully it should come together quickly and we can tidy up round here. You might notice the front tube extension has not been painted. This is because at the time the car was going for paint we did not have the intercooler and could not make the brackets to hold it in place and also the brackets for the bumper bar need to be made and we need all the aero on for that part of the build.

[​IMG]

Bridgeported 13B goodness courtesy of Hayward Rotary in the UK. It has finally been bolted into its new home and not snagging on any part of the rusty old Corolla :-)

[​IMG]

It looks so much better with paint on it!

[​IMG]

We have to do our best not to scratch it while installing all our interior bits. In the next update the interior should be completed all going to plan.

[​IMG]

This is the last shot of the rear interior before the view gets obscured by our custom radiator, piping and roof vent.

[​IMG]

The rear axle is now painted and located with our 4 link system. It's hard to beat black and white.

[​IMG]

Our custom top link is now installed. This should allow us to fine tune our setup quickly on track, not like the original two upper links that are very awkward to access. You can see the BOSCH pump and bullet filter installed ready to be covered by the fuel cell.

[​IMG]

The tunnel and bulkhead were just second to the steering in the time consumption stakes but now theyOur MCN/AVO rear coilovers are ready to transmit more power to the tarmac than any other AE86 drift car in history. We wanted to run standard and just off the shelf AE86 suspension rather than a custom trick suspension setup just so we can prove just how good our '86 suspension is.

[​IMG]

Likewise at the front. We are using the MCN/AVO adjustable front inserts inside the original struts with weld on coilover conversion tubes.

[​IMG]

This has been the most head wrecking part of the build, the custom steering. I hate and love this steering rack in equal measure. It took quite a large amount of time to get everything working the way we wanted it to, but if it all works out it should perform really well.

[​IMG]

We made a custom steering column so we could throw away the over complicated Toyota one. A new gear lever has been made for the Supra transmission and we modified the 16 inch ASD vertical e-brake lever to just the right position for me.

[​IMG]

Aerial view of currently the world's shortest '86!

[​IMG]

Right so, that is it for now, time to get back to work. It should start to come together pretty quickly now. I cannot wait to here the first brap from this thing!

Speedhunters link BUILDS>> TEAM NFS D-MAC AE86 PT.V - Speedhunters

12. J4CK

J4CK Member

The in side of that car is going to be HOT, because of the rear rad, i have a front rad on my car with the pipes though the car from front to back its get really hot in side when driving,

Jack

13. Christian

Christian Member

I can't wait to see it in action.

Do you think this beast will be as fastas the top cars in Formula D,
    maybe even match the ASD Saturn Sky for speed?

Btw. build quality is top notch, it's good to see how the drift cars evolve
    in europe.

14. |BUDA|

|BUDA| Member

EPIC build

15. Darren McNamara

Its gonna be fast but not quiet as fast as the Sky. We just dont have the tyre technology over here but at the same time it should be able to put up a very good fight against the majority of FD cars

16. Darren McNamara

[​IMG]

It's update time again Speedhunters and a lot of work has gone on since last time. When Paddy arrives we scurry around to get stuff out of the way and stuff in the way that we want included. He seems to have caught that moment quite well.

[​IMG]

The Owen Development's turbo is becoming a more permanent part of the build and very shortly it will be bolted in place for the final time. The downpipe has been made with the intercooler piping currently being done. The oil and water lines are also nearly finished and we just got to fabricate the intake pipe and then it is complete.

[​IMG]

Wiggens clamps will be used on both hot and cold sides of the intercooler and since Paddy was here the screamer pipe is done and attached to the Tial 60mm wastegate.

[​IMG]

Speaking of the cold side, here it is and it will be completed very shortly.

[​IMG]

The exhaust manifold has returned from Martelius Exhausts in Finland and it fits in without touching the steering column. Phew !

[​IMG]

The interior has come along nicely and I have to give a plug to K&N as they hooked us up with air and oil filters on very short notice and we are very happy to be running the best filters in the world!

[​IMG]

The racing dry cell battery has been mounted under the passenger seat for optimal weight distribution.

[​IMG]

A lot going on in this picture, our carbon AE86 dash has been fitted and equipped with Defi gauges and controller. You can see we made a custom steering column and got rid of the ugly Toyota one. Pedals are now in, as are the fuel lines and the ASD e-brake has been positioned to my preference. I have decided to install the aluminium centre partition panels for testing, these were made as templates for the carbon fibre panels and will be replaced with carbon fibre at a later date.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the tubular intercooler mount and i think this picture gives you a good idea of just how far back the engine has been positioned.

[​IMG]

This gives you a better shot of the aluminium partition panels and fuel cell firewall. The fuel cell will be filled through the quarter window. The rear radiator is now bolted in place and the coolant pipes are also connected.

[​IMG]

The pipes returned from Martelius in Finland, with their ceramic thermal barrier and dispersant coatings. One is a matt black finish and the other is gloss black which looks pretty cool. You can see the fuel cell filler mounted through the quarter window here also.

[​IMG]

One change in the suspension is the custom lower control arms we are making. Because of the amount of steering angle we have, the wheel now hits the tension rod if placed in the normal ae86 position so we are making a custom "A" arm which will give us the clearance needed.

Next update will follow shortly and will give you guys a look at the awesome aero for this AE86.

D-Mac

BUILDS>> TEAM NFS D-MAC AE86 PT.VI - Speedhunters

17. JordonVW

JordonVW Member

can't wait for the next update on this! :)

18. FlikstRR

FlikstRR 330D powered

saaavaage :eek:

loving the hydro! :smokin:

19. BDC wana be

BDC wana be AwesomefestFTW

What championships are you competing in DMAC in europe

20. Darren McNamara

Wont be doing any full championship but will be making appearances all over