Template Errors: thread_view

1. strpos(): Empty needle in /domains/forum.driftworks.com/http/forum/library/Lgpl/utf8.php, line 444:
    443: 	</div>
    444: </div>';
    445: $__compilerVar11 .= $__compilerVar14;

2. strpos(): Empty needle in /domains/forum.driftworks.com/http/forum/library/Lgpl/utf8.php, line 444:

3. strpos(): Empty needle in /domains/forum.driftworks.com/http/forum/library/Lgpl/utf8.php, line 444:

Insurance Sucks!

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Super Si, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Super Si

Super Si New Member

Just got an import MK1 1.6 MX5.
    Used to have a 2.0v6 MIVEC Mitsubishi FTO (:euge: i know)

Insurance is £180 more for the MX5!!! how stupid is that, 85bhp less, older, cheaper car.

Where is the sense in that!?!!!

Not looking forward to the quote after its modified :cry:

Anyone know the best company for MX5 insurance? I'm already with Adrian flux, as they have always been good, but now, not so sure. Also, has anyone tried classic car insurance?

2. rubadubdub

rubadubdub New Member

Its not specific to MX5 but try chris knott or sky insurance. Sky sponser driftworks so offer a 20% discount.

Its worth mentioning if you're a forum/car club member, saw an advert in a magazine, or go to car shows as some insurers offer discounts for these sorts of things.

A friend worked for HIC (herts insruance comp) and you got 5% off for saying which magazine you spotted the advert in, 5% for going to JAE/car shows, 5% for being in an affiliated club.

Try MX5 forums and contact any insurers that sponser the site.

3. Sw3eDz

Sw3eDz New Member

admiral are good mate, u gotta hav 2 ppl who have been driving for over 15 years e.g. mum n dad and a 1000 pound excess and it should be lovely.

4. Ralz

Ralz Member

£1k excess? Fuck that.

5. - Fezcock -

- Fezcock - Guest

My excess is £600 just because I'm under 25 no voluntary excess at all £167.50 a month for my E36 lol

6. warby

warby Lifestyler Deluxe

Holy actual cow man !!! My 328i coupe is £78 ish a month, 1 yrs ncb, 21 yr old, excess about the same as you with elephant (same as admiral). +£85 ish a year for my mods now. (wheels, filter, exhaust, seats, harnesses, steering wheel)

My sister just got her renewal through on her golf, 2yrs ncb, 19yr old, mk4 golf gt tdi 150 £780 ish a year !! how?? for me thats £900-1k.:(

its bloody stupid expensive now, before xmas i fancied an r33, £850 a year with minor mods. Now its about £2k standard :cry: that idea has been knocked on the head.

7. Ste00

Ste00 Active Member

Holy... on my 530 i was only paying £70 per month through sky, 24 today!

8. Harlen

Harlen Sum Yung Gai

It's because it's an import. It's REALLY silly I know, but I'm certain that's the cause of it.

I was looking at getting an MX5 myself when my renewal's through. I'll have 1 years ncb, and I'll be 18 at that time too. UK spec MX5 will be £2500, and an import MX5 will be... £4500! £2000 extra, and for what? 20hp more? I could get an S13 cheaper!

9. Kayleigh

Kayleigh Member

The extra years no claims will make a difference. Insurance on a 1.6 Tigra is cheaper for my 22 year old boyfriend with 5 points than it is for me being female, 25 with no points, because he has more no claims than me it makes it cheaper. I did a quote for me with a few extra years ncb and it made it so much cheaper, even just that one extra year can take it down a few hundred quid.

10. warby

warby Lifestyler Deluxe

Hmmm, it's still gay though :)

My old fellas actually went up a good bit this year too, he has a mazillion years experience and no claims to boot. I reckon they just pull a price out of their arses :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. CrabsterDrift

CrabsterDrift Callum Craddy

For me (as a named driver with under a year ncb/road experience and Mum as main with 4 years ncb/25 years experience) on a:

1.8/2 litre Ford Sierra - £104/month
    Volvo 340/360 - £104/month
    MX5 - £3k per year (nobody could offer monthly payments).

Insurance does suck. But some companies are generous :) (And im 17).

And I think i agree on the above, about them pulling prices out their arses!

12. - Fezcock -

- Fezcock - Guest

I dont get insurance at all :cry:

Im 23 and now have 1 claim against me - 0 ncb, license since I was 18

21 y/o I had a 200sx S14 Stage1a (ish) Fully Comp no job etc - £1010 (monthly payments!)

22 y/o - Honda Civic Jordan (#376) - £1204 Fc

Yes thats an increase of £200 going down an insurance group from 17-16 2.0 rwd turbo >> to a front wheel drive 1.6 n/a :confused::confused: WHAT THE FUCK!?!

Now im just 23 y/o 328i E36 Vert - £2010 a year ish - Group 17 car im older and now have a solid job that pays very well for my age, yet my fucking insurance goes up and is a GRAND more than a S14? two years ago?!?!?!

Whats more mental is that I could insure a JZX90/JZX100 (2.5TT/ST) for £1000?!!?!?

I have no points and the claim ive made wont come into effect against my current policy until april (renewal) Where I have been reliably informed that my insurance will go up....

I DONT FUCKING GET IT

What insurers do is they have a special app on their computers that is like a random high number generator :wack:

Fuckers :dw:

13. - Fezcock -

- Fezcock - Guest

Totally agree! just pull any old figure they fancy out of thin air.

Why?? Because they can :nod: Same as the fucking petrol companies....

14. warby

warby Lifestyler Deluxe

Quoted for truth.

Mine should be lower still due to the near 0% car crime we have, I used to leave my car unlocked at home all the time, dont now because of my shineys.

Oh and diesel is now £1.40 a litre here, prob is over your way too in places. The monthly fuel bill at work has risen by £1400 in 3 months and were doing less !!! But that's another thread :)

15. HeftyDanielson

You live on the IoM.. when I was there I was insured on a 320I E30 for 800£ a year fully as a first car just last year... Now I am back in the UK I am paying 1.2k a year for a MK2 Saxo VTR with everything declared.. it sucks

16. warby

warby Lifestyler Deluxe

I suppose it's getting dear here due to all the little 'r' platers driving mummy and daddy's nice new car then smashing it up. Big claims etc etc.

17. HeftyDanielson

I loved my little "R" plate only went 50 when there was a copper sat near me or in towns other than that I tried to keep up with everything else.. I miss that place....=[

18. warby

warby Lifestyler Deluxe

I hated mine. 16, mk3 golf gti 16v, sounded well too. I was pulled once or twice a week, just to make sure I hadn't nicked it and was insured taxed etc.

Be honest mate I want away, yeah it's ok but so expensive to go across for skids and other non skid related things :(