SANTA POD IMPROVEMENT - Version II page 9

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by mitto, Feb 21, 2011.

?

SANTA POD MEIHAN - do you want it?

1. YES - I'd like a greater challenge

86.3%
  2. NO - I don't like the idea of change

13.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mitto

mitto -NIGHTSPIRT FAMILY-

Ok, so over the last few years i have been bugging Lexington to bug the staff at Santa Pod to do something new and exciting with the course. As drivers in the UK and Europe improve, i think the facilities and challenges should also increase to allow for us to develop.

With that in mind, i have made a little track layout that provides that challenge, without costing the earth to put into action and using the materials that Santa Pod already have at thier disposal.

I feel that Santa Pod is the premier venue for drifting in the UK, attracting the highest numbers of drivers to the largest number of events. With all that money that is being pumped into the venue (let's face it, the days aren't run with a loss in mind) I'm sure a little of that can be directed back towards us.

I have tried to incorporate the following -

1. a more challenging course
    2. a better queing system
    3. a more practical solution to attending the tyre change area
    4. vastly improved saftey for drivers
    5. vastly improved safety for spectators
    6. vastly improved spectator areas

It is my opinion, that these changes will also aid the promotion of the events and drifting in general, with much better looking media coming from the events.

And the layout...

[​IMG]

If you guys could cast a vote and discuss the possibilities, both positive and negative i would greatly appreciate it.

obviously the idea is to be able to change the second half of the course to suit different needs. the main wall straight could also have a shorter turn in to allow for different skill levels.

to Lex - Yes i'm trying to annoy you and secondly, I have a bunch of guys willing to come down and put the work in to get it done!

In the words of kumakubo... "LET'S HUNTING!" :thumbs:

UPDATE FROM PAGE 8!!!

#1 mitto, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  2. lozza

lozza ChickFoot FTW!

One problem i can spot immediately is where the tyre changing is.... everyone groups around the van and area therefore the queue would immediately go to shit and people will get stuck.

Other than that, i think its a good idea to make a track rather than a massive area with some cones :)

3. mitto

yeah thought of that, thats why it's split into lanes. the practicalities are definatley something that would have to be worked on :)

ps. use the poll. lol

4. lozza

lozza ChickFoot FTW!

Yeah, i'd probably say keep the tyre changing where it is down near the Cafe. Otherwise, it's a good idea in my books! Pod has been similar for years now so it would be a refreshing change, however i think someone should probably say.. it is a beginners day. I can see some beginners killing their cars if there is a big long wall :)

But for the more skilled drifters it'd be a right laugh.

5. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

Sounds like a plan, Lex will hate it! :smash:

Ian. :D

6. Skiddly Diddly

Skiddly Diddly Rehabilitated

Does that eliminate the smaller kidney area? Because one of the things that makes Pod good, is the fact that you can get tracktime when all the noobs are in the kidney/playpen areas. So whether or not you want to use the kidney, it's good to have it there.

Other than that, it looks OK to me. But I doubt big walls (friendly or not) will be too popular with people.

7. mitto

Yeah, i was thinking of when bigger events are on too with the tyre changing, if it's down the other end thats more spectator area! Anything behind that wall is safe!

Begginers won't lose out on the figure 8 or anything else, but they can still run the main course, plenty there to drift without risking yourself too imho :)

8. Paster

Paster ....

I think thats a great idea, as Lozza said may need a few tweeks here an there but the layout looks good. And i dont think to many will complain at the prospect of a harder/better track. To be honest I think its needed to push the boundries/skill levels a bit higher, why should Teeside get all the fun :wack: The South deserves a proper track :D

*This is not to say i dont like The Pod currently, always have and always will reguardless of track design...
    Just so you no... *

Get to it Mitto :smash:

Without sounding like a cock (easily done on here...) you dont HAVE to be near them

#8 Paster, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  9. mitto

This would not effect any other part of the venue!

10. hosmob

hosmob Active Member

Entrance and exit wont work as it will leave no space for double fenceing for walkway between roadways/kidney pen and toilets, also you will have no safe walkway from pits area to tyre van.

11. mitto

that doesnt make sense? the toilet block is well clear and that access road is used anyway... jut move the lines aound a few mm WITH YOUR MIND lol

the figure 8 / kidney is single fenced now on both sides AFAIK.

12. lozza

lozza ChickFoot FTW!

If you move the tyre van there should be enough safe space for spectators to walk through i think

13. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

What is "meihan"?

Nice artwork :)

14. neil a walker

neil a walker Active Member

Course looks pretty nice, I only voted no, cause i dont like the sound of big freindly wall unless its made of something softer than concrete. Dont have a trailer, so quite like the lack of solid things in the current set up. Could the course be painted on the tarmac instead of being marked with solid things on the inside s bend bit?

#14 neil a walker, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  15. GethinD

GethinD [][][][][][][][][][]

From looking at the layout photo am I right in thinking that from the southern tip to the top right hand corner is just one constant loooooong right hander?

16. Sea Squirrel

Sea Squirrel Jeff Mills Is Watching!

How difficult is it to get hold of the huge foam blocks that line some of the walls in Japan? Could those be put along the 'big friendly wall' to make it more 'friendly'? :wack:

17. combattuk

combattuk Member

From the opinion of a beginner (me lol) if there's only donut and figure of 8 for us it's gona be a big jump to go from them straight onto the track think u need an in-between track like the kidney plus the q for the track will be bigger and a few unhappy cars in the barrier

18. cefiro_drifta

cefiro_drifta Mad pointing Munky

can i add my 3 words :

HELL FUCKING followed by a long drawing out YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

fast entrance :thumbs:
    wall running on entrance :thumbs:
    tight techy bit :thumbs:
    long ass corner in to fast straight :thumbs:

im starting to fall back in love with you meato

19. sr20spam

sr20spam Member

I was quite disappointed with my trip to pod! I found that the origination was poo! No one told me where 2 que how long you are on track for etc! It seemed that it was every man for themselves! The track wasn't maintained throughout the day there were cones everywhere! It does need making safer for drivers and spectators. I would like to see it more organised and less slap dash! Still great for drifting :)

20. combattuk

combattuk Member

Another option could be todo an advanced drift day and a beginners drift day with different layouts that way everybody wins :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.