MCNSPORT: Need for Speed D-Mac 86

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Darren McNamara, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Darren McNamara

Darren McNamara SR86 pilot

[​IMG]

Back once again and our Falken Tires have arrived for testing! It feels pretty good to be at this stage as we know we're getting close to finally driving this beast

[​IMG]

We are also at the stage of getting the aero fitted. Our Work Meister S1s' are gone for powder coating but we have kept one behind for mocking up the aero fitment.

[​IMG]

All the aero parts are produced by us and available at .: MCNSPORT.COM :. Europe's Leading 1-Stop Tuning Shop. The N3 aero kit is making this one of the widest AE86's in the world.

[​IMG]

And man it is wide! The larger rear spoiler will suit the car much better than the regular spoiler because of how extreme and wide the car has become.

[​IMG]

Crazy wide! I can't wait to get this out in the daylight and admire the stance.

[​IMG]

The quarter windows are polycarbonate and have three ducts per side to take air to the rear mounted radiator during forward motion. The three vertical slots that are marked out but not cut are for taking in air when the car is sideways.

[​IMG]

Here I am trying to get the roof in place for Paddy's pics. He caught me out with that one !

[​IMG]

With the rear spoiler removed you can see how the GT Wing mounts. The spoiler will be slotted and place over the mount so the wing stays come neatly out of the spoiler with no visable mounts.

[​IMG]

The wing should be plenty wide enough to compliment the N3 aero.

[​IMG]

And here we have a shot of Paddy's camera bag complete with handy pockets for stickers, lenses etc LOL

[​IMG]

Here is the bonnet / hood we are using and the FRP door in place.

[​IMG]

This is a shot without the N3 overfenders on ...

[​IMG]

... and here we are with them in place. This car will have a lot of presence.

[​IMG]

Oh Lord, can someone from Need for Speed please call and tidy up as we dont have time !?

[​IMG]

It had to be Work Meisters for me on this project. They are such a timeless wheel and look great on old skool as well as modern machines.

[​IMG]

Got lock ?

[​IMG]

You can see why the custom A arms had to be made, even with the tension rod moved inwards the wheel still gets very close.

[​IMG]

Right well that is it for another update. I don't know where we will be when we update you again, but hopefully we will be making noise ...

-

D-Mac

2. Will.

Will. Come at me bro

Christ! This looks more like a PPIHC car than a drift car! Top work. :thumbs:

3. tubs

tubs Member

zmfg:cool:thats anwersome

4. RaceMinded

RaceMinded Member

Superawesome build, I'll be following this closely and will prolly order a few parts this year for my own :)

Hope to see this car irl one day

5. Darren McNamara

[​IMG]

Welcome to update number eight of our crazy AE86 project! This time we are not just going to look at the new details on the build, but we are also going to take a look at the finished product via Shift2 Unleashed. I love this first pic from Paddy, it captures the real presence that the car seems to have around the shop, it seems no one can pass by without doing a double take.

[​IMG]

And so to the in-game car parked here at the famous Eau Rouge at the Spa Francorchamps circuit. It's so cool for me to be able to see the finished product so early in the build, normally all the images are in my head. The timeline for this project was very tight and we did not have the luxury of a long schedule like Vaughn's RTR-X project. The car does differ slightly from the real world version as it has developed and we have problem solved. The main development was me completely wrecking the car at a Prodrift event and being left with two options:

1: Throw away the chassis or 2: to remove an awful lot of metal and built something crazy. So here we will also cover some of the differences between the in game D-Mac86 and the real world D-Mac86 and the reasoning behind them.

[​IMG]

This looks so cool! One of the main differences is the front bumper. The N2 aero is designed to work with stock bumpers, in this case a Sprinter Trueno Zenki bumper. This bumper was designed to keep a normally aspirated 4AGE and its radiator cool but as the 13B Turbo will produce so much more heat and have an intercooler we demanded much more air flow than the Trueno Zenki bumper could provide. What we are using is only an update away ...

[​IMG]

Here is a better, if fly spattered, view of the bumper. I wonder if I will ever get to drive it down the straight in Irwindale? (This car is NOT for Formula D) I just recently returned from Electronic Arts in Vancouver, Canada where I took on ALMS driver Tommy Milner in an Autolog battle and played the game as much as I could. I of course took the D-Mac86 to drift at Irwindale as well as the infamous Ebisu. It would be amazing to be able to take the real car to America and Japan sometime.

[​IMG]

Okay, so back to the real world and back to MCNSPORT.com HQ

[​IMG]

Getting the car on the ground was a big milestone and so was getting our Work Meisters back from powder coating, now in a stealthy satin black finish.

[​IMG]

A lot of bits and bobs have been done to the engine as it gets close to firing up for the first time. Plugs, plug leads, coils, fuel lines, fuel pressure regulator, K&N oil filter and screamer pipe have now all been fitted.

[​IMG]

For the brakes, we plan to do a brake upgrade on the real car once we get it running as we are expecting it to be quiet fast. Power to weight ratio is looking pretty impressive from the corner weight figures we have.

[​IMG]

The biggest difference in the two cars is at the rear and anyone who has been following the build will know why ...

[​IMG]

... the rear mounted radiator. Because of this modification to gain the best possible weight distribution, a few things had to be different to any AE86 we have seen before. We needed to get air to the radiator so we decide to make a custom roof and quarter windows. Another thing I wanted to do was make the rear end more crash proof, as lets face it drift cars are meant to hit/rub/scrape things with the rear. So our collapsible bumper bar is now in place holding the FRP rear end on and it's all easily replaceable if and when we take it all off.

[​IMG]

The rear Falken tyres are absolutely massive at 275/40/17. They look huge on the small '86 chassis!

[​IMG]

Our rear ride height is now set and we will start to locate our axle links for the geometry we require very soon. Another question mark I had was would I be able to run the exhaust out the rear or would I have to turn it down underneath the car. Well it looks like we can get it out the rear bumper so I'm looking forward to some pictures with big rotary flames from Paddy. One of the coolest things of the in-game car is the rotary sound. It sounds like a real bridgeport and pops and bangs on the overrun when you lift off the throttle. It really shows the attention to detail that has gone into this game and my hat goes off to all the NFS crew.

[​IMG]

This is definitely filling the arch!

[​IMG]

And so on to the front suspension where we have spent most of our time lately. Here is the final steering angle we have ended up with.

[​IMG]

Here is how it looks from the front. Another addition from the last update is our front support bars. They are made from a very light material so that if the unthinkable happens they will collapse instead of moving the strut top out of line. Then the front tube extension can be cut off and replaced with a new one. The other purpose of the front support bars is to act as support for the front wing/fender and headlight covers as well as mounting the front bonnet/hood pins.

[​IMG]

The change in front steering ackerman angle and the amount of steering angle have caused problems with the trailing or outside wheel. It is now turning so much the tension rod had to be moved and we now have to make four lock stops for this car (two per wheel) as it is trying to kick or go over centre which is rare on a front steer steering rack

[​IMG]

That's me and my Dad looking on as Paddy does his thing. Very little work left to do in the cockpit now. Biggest job is the line lock for holding the front brakes to allow us to warm the rears without putting excess stress on the car.

[​IMG]

The rear polycarbonate screen has been installed and the TRS harness is now ready to keep me strapped in.

[​IMG]

My dream '86 is so close to becoming a reality now, I expect real life driving shots like this one in two weeks time! Except without the working headlights :-)

The visuals in Shift2 Unleashed are just amazing aren't they?

[​IMG]

Most cars in computer games are copied from real life vehicles but this time it has been a true collaboration of the virtual and real worlds. We expect the D-Mac86 to take the giant killing hachiroku to a new level, punching way above its weight just like it does in Need for Speed Shift2 Unleashed

-

D-Mac

6. mitto

mitto -NIGHTSPIRT FAMILY-

im wondering how the fuck anyone is suppossed to keep up with it?! :wack:

7. Cabbage

Cabbage Member

jesus this thing is going to wiegh fuck all!!!!

8. Karan

Karan Active Member

really well thought out build

9. haza88

haza88 Active Member

agreed, top work:thumbs:

10. GT-ARR

GT-ARR Member

The monster is taking shape.

Darren do you have any date approx to put the car running?

11. Darren McNamara

it should be running this weekend hopefully

12. mitto

expecting running video tonight! :smash:

13. Rickje

Rickje New Member

Darren why are you using ze912's on the front? And not the fk452?

14. mitto

you mean RT615...

15. FlikstRR

FlikstRR 330D powered

my vids up.. wheres yours :p :D :D

16. philae86

philae86 New Member

What power you expecting to run?

Take looks like a standard ae86 axle

17. angrydan

angrydan raaage

sssshhhhhuuuuutttttt up phil u not even built urs lol

and darren aahhhh man u painted them awesome wheels black:cry:

18. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Properly awesome, love this :worthy:

Give em a chance, lol, bit bloody different slinging a stock LS in a PS than doing this insane setup!

19. FlikstRR

FlikstRR 330D powered

hahah I'm pretty damn sure your right, I'm only winding him (and apparently chapman :rolleyes:) up :D

be interesting to see how it looks on the deck with the black rims.

20. Nikolas4g63

Nikolas4g63 Member

you mean RT615 K :D