Okay so who's sensible enough to have fitted winter tyres to their daily?

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by PhilMorrison, Dec 16, 2011.

1. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison Driftworks Owner
    Staff Member

It's compulsary to fit winter tyres in a lot of countrys, but not in the UK. So lets once again see how many people get stuck when it's starts to snow badly :D.. I fully intend on busting past you all in Mels Mk5 Golf GTI Turbo with snow tyres just on the front :D..
    The M3 can take a back seat as soon as it does snow badly as I'm not sure I could afford 285/30/18 snow tyres, and I'm not convinced it would do anything except act as a snow shovel for other cars at the height it sits anyway. However right up until the point it does start to settle, I'll be taking full advantage of the 'whoops it's a bit slippy' fun times :wack:

2. Joe-sef

Joe-sef -Broseph-

i just brought a polo, 1.4 TDI sport. it has probably the worst tyres on i have ever driven on.

This could be interesting.

P.s there awesome dailys.

3. Clive

Clive Active Member

got a piece of shit daily this year...

but I treated the 200sx to some winter tyres...

some tyres with tread for a change- although saying that... they was partworns :wack:

EDIT. although this year I did get some winter tyres for the front of the missus car, she works in a remote area... so no such thing as gritter lorrys... just the local farmer with a tractor to pull you out a ditch if and when you fall in one :wack:

#3 Clive, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  4. -jamie-

-jamie- StrongFlex UK

The law in the UK will be changed soon and winter tyres will have to be fitted! Hence why there is such a big push for them this year ;)
    Personally, tyre blackets are the way forward! £60 for a set !

5. infest

infest Member

i got every where last year in the eunos only time i got stuck was drive up the downs and got stuck on a snow drift.But the skyline was crap could not even get out of the drive way.

6. neil a walker

neil a walker Active Member

quite the opposite actually phil, toyo t1r's :cry: so doubt cars going anywhere if it snows here.
    Housemates pulsar has got winter tyres on it though:wack:

7. T.K

T.K kudo fruiting

If I was in the UK I would have put spikes and a bonnet pod on my GT3.

Not much snow in HK.

8. kieran_e1

kieran_e1 In need of practice

So for those who fitted winter tyres have you told your insurance as it counts as a modification

9. docwra

docwra Active Member

Caned a Merc C Class through Germany, Austria and Slovenia on winter tyres a couple of weeks ago and they arent too bad - bit less grip but very progressive when they do let go, if I thought we'd have more than a couple of days snow Id consider it :)

10. -jamie-

-jamie- StrongFlex UK

no it doesnt.

11. bell

bell Without patience

fitted some ice tires i had in the garage to a mates wheels the other night aswell as some rally gravel/snow tires we had at the unit, its gonna make his e46 look like a drag racing snow plough if/when he needs to fit them

12. kieran_e1

kieran_e1 In need of practice

13. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison Driftworks Owner
    Staff Member

It's not just snow thought Doc, they are much better in the cold and your normal frost conditions. I was sceptical until I had them on my AE86 a couple of years ago, and I'm now a convert.

Neil: There are much worse tyres than T1R's in winter. We had them fitted to Mels EK Civic last year, and although it wouldn't have worked if it didn't have a diff, and if I didn't know to just light it up in 4th gear everywhere :wack:, we didn't actually get stuck once.

14. Rossc0

Rossc0 Diesel Skidder

Ive got a set on the TDS, £20 for 4 part worn snow tyres, bargain. How do they count as a modification? The police have never asked me if my tyres are declared on my insurance if ive been stopped

15. DRAGONFD3S

DRAGONFD3S Member

Ive fitted mud and snows to the daily beater, but not sure they will handle it. I had a Subaru forrestor turbo on full mud a snows, removed the front bumper and it was an absolute weapon in the snow, 25 mile drive to work and I passed literally hundreds of cars on the side of the road on the way in, I could even give it full throttle on ice, and although it was spinning it was surprisingly controllable.

16. cptsideways

cptsideways Active Member

We have them have used them since I started driving 20 years ago!

I hate the idea of eveybody else having them, so far we've had the roads to ourselves for years come snow :)

The difference is like night & day, the modren ones keep just getting better & better. Our old Golf fwd & Audi A2 Tdi both went everyhere my Landcruiser did in the last few years & we've got some big hills round here. My Arosa Tdi even pulled a X5 up one hill :)

Mind you a Landcruiser on winter tyres can pull this fully laden 44tonner up Shaftesbury hill on the A30 if anyone knows it.

[​IMG]

17. neil a walker

neil a walker Active Member

Ahh fwdness! much better in the snow. The celica supra doesn't like even the slightest of gradients, so last year put 50kgs of sand over the back axle and lowered the Tyre pressures to 25psi. Manji city after that. :)

18. oscar-silvia

oscar-silvia Member

im based in germany, so have to have winter tyres by law. and by god i love them, snow or ice never stops me lol

19. cptsideways

cptsideways Active Member

Internet Bollocks v Crap UK insurance co's that one!

Every car type approved for Europe is approved for winter tyres (a few high performance low volume exceptions) Look at the sticker on the door shut/fuel cap & you'll see or it'll be in the handbook. They will often be a different size smaller wheel, so long you as you follow that its not a modification as its what the car is type approved for.

Its just the numpty insurance co's not knowing what they are on about, they've since been kicked up the ass by the Motor Insurance Buero & told not to rape people.

Personally I think iot should be as per Germany you a liable in an accident without them full stop & last year its now law to have them in wintry conditions.

20. docwra

docwra Active Member

Converted :D