D2 Products

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Scooby J, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Scooby J

Scooby J Member

I was hoping if anyone could shed some light on why D2 have such a bad rep in the UK? I have been looking over the Japanese manutacurers website and products looking for reasons to fault them as so many people seem to do so.

D2 JAPAN OFFICIAL WEBSITE

Their stuff is used in various motorsports from endurance, drifting and time attack. Any feed back?

2. akinadan79

akinadan79 Active Member

Pretty sure D2 brakes are used on the Japspeed cars. I've not used D2 kit but I do have Ksport brakes which I believe are very similar and they used to get a bit of a hard time/bad press aswell....but then I've found them to be excellent brakes and of course there's the Ksport Time Attack car, which is doing pretty well, so surely not justified

3. Haynesey

Haynesey Active Member

Coming from a vw background I had never heard of them when I got my car and thought they were cheap shit makes, but then started seeing them on jap/drift cars more than brembo or wilwood etc so assumed they must be ok! Not heard any bad press yet but will do a search now!

4. 4_Stroke

4_Stroke Member

D2 = made in Taiwan
    Just because they have a Japanese site don't make them Japanese.
    http://www.d2racingsport.com

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

#4 4_Stroke, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  5. conor1

conor1 Member

I have d2 coilovers on my 32 i can't fault them.

6. dros

dros Member

I have the coilovers front 8 pot 330mm and rear 6pot 330mm
    With a hydro handbrake on my s14.They work well except the
    brake pads are a bit shite.Good value for money kits!

7. Scooby J

Scooby J Member

Now are you talking from experience of using them or purly based on the fact they are machined in taiwan. Dont get me wrong i'm not comparing the brakes to the likes of AP/Alcon because they are primarily an out and out racing brake developed from a motorsports back ground. But D2 over a stock braking system must be an improvement for most cars.

8. 4_Stroke

4_Stroke Member

I don't have an issue with D2, just pointing out they are not a Japanese brand.

9. scotiasx

scotiasx Active Member

Got their coilovers, nice bits of kit, Plenty of adjustment , 1.5 years on a salty pothole landscape

Tbh i really like them

10. tail_happy_200

tail_happy_200 james cant drift

The made in Taiwan post could be said for any manufacturer tbh. I use a d2 hydro and it's far better than any of my mates ones. It's actually brilliant.

No experience on other products though.

Coilovers with perhaps the exepion of tein, hsd and some really high end stuff tend to be the same.

K sport being the exception where all they do is fail.

In my head I think, diamma. Apex performance and similar are all about the same.

Bc are a bit better, then you have hsd.

Having plenty of experience of all I went for hsd coilovers. That said the others do the job just fine

11. fejjan

fejjan Member

I have heard from a sales rep here is sweden who sell K-sport and D2 items, he says K-sport and D2 are IDENTICAL, they are made in the same factory and to the same specification. They are only different brand names but identical technically.
    Not saying they are shit though, and as I have seen and heard is that they have improved over the years, and seems good value these days.

12. akinadan79

akinadan79 Active Member

Mine are still going strong, though the Ksport pads are complete w**k in my opinion.

The first lot (ksport pads) that I had for the 12 pots hadn't covered a single mile and they started to break up just from sitting on the car over a 12 month period, Ksport eventually offered a free replacement set of Ferrodo pads off a Porsche, that I haven't got around to fitting yet.

The Ksport pads for my 6 pots went exactly the same way, though not quite to the same extent

The 8 pot Ksport kit currently on the car is fine, though the calipers recently had a refurb as I one of the pistons had siezed causing the pad to wear at an angle

Not AP but still good value for the money in my opinion

13. mati

mati Member

I've had some experiance with D2/Ksport products. I had a set of coilovers and 8 pots on one car, and a set of six pots on another. The coilovers were a joke, they didn't dampen bumps at all, and none of the adjustments worked, the collars seized after six months, and after about a year both the rears broke in half. The brakes were a bit better, but the dust seals in the 8 pots melted during a time attack session. The six pots worked fine, but the discs wore out after about 10k kms of road use, so not much really. All this with virtually no aftersales technical support, overall I'm not impressed with D2 products.

14. Munkul

Munkul Active Member

So you have no experience of most of these products, but you say they are all the same? Useful opinion there ;)

I have read in a lot of places (including info from official importers/distros) that XYZ, D2 and K-sport coilies are all made in the same factory. Apex and BC looks very similar as well, but probably just coincidental. Daiyama is not the same.

Now this may be true now or has been in the recent past, I dunno. Ive read horror stories about D2, XYZ, K-sport, but also BC and Apex? but also read plenty good things about them more recently, all apart from K-sport.... and I have a k-sport hydro which works very well!

Ive read that D2 have upped their game in the last year or so and now produce a 2nd generation coilover that is vastly improved over the original. Certainly their brakes are pretty epic. Ive heard good feedback from a racer mate about his XYZ coilies too.

15. tail_happy_200

tail_happy_200 james cant drift

maybe worded wrong by me.

have had first hand experience of all these, had my s13 for 13 years and tried most things tbh and with working on cars for 5 years have tried or fitted all of the different brands.

just dealt with d2 coilovers once and they were ok, hit harsh ride though

handbrake was awesome

arms and such like are good, yet to see how they last on a friends car

#15 tail_happy_200, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012