cat C repairing

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by jonny mac, Jan 22, 2012.

1. jonny mac

jonny mac 1jzS14

hi folks, looking at a cat C car, needs a bootlid, tail lights, rear bumper and the back pannel straightened up.

mot certificate is valid untill march on it but it's obviously been recorded as a cat C by insurers so the guy took a payment from them and also got to keep the car

what's the deal with repairing it and getting it back on the road?

i'm with admiral so will they be ok with me insuring a repaired cat c car?

do i need to go get some sort of vehicle inspection report? and would i need to get it re-mot'd?

cheers.

2. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

you need to repair the car and take it for a VIC check (about £40) to obtain a log book. the check does not assess the quality of the repair only that the chassis numbers match to ascertain if the vehicle is the correct vehicle.

im fairly sure you can drive a vehicle to a vic check with no mot or tax.

it will state on the first page of the registration certificate that the vehicle has been subject to extensive repairs.

obtaining insurance on the car will not be a problem. its a good chance you will get paid out less in the event of a claim.

#2 gaz_moose, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  3. jonny mac

jonny mac 1jzS14

so technically throw a bootlid and rear lights on it, pull the pannel straight roughly and then go to the place for a new v5 logbook?

i'd assume that the current mot has been canceled?

4. 4_Stroke

4_Stroke Member

Not all CAT C's are recorded if the owner keeps the car... worth double checking

5. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

why would the mot be cancelled?

if its got tax and test you can drive it around without the VIC check but you wont be able to obtain a log book.if you apply for one you will be sent a letter requesting you to take the vehicle for a VIC instead.

the vehicle details section of the dvla website will sometimes tell you if the vehicle needs a vic check.

6. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

i assumed it was a cat C as the OP was asking about them.

but yes you are correct, from what i have seen its usually the more exotic or expensive stuff that goes through the system unrecorded or as a cat X even though its smashed to bits. or ive seen a fair few come from these crash for cash places.

7. jonny mac

jonny mac 1jzS14

hpi check says cat C

so i need to go apply for a vic test once it's fixed? then after that i apply for a v5

it said somehwere online that the mot will be canceled since the car has been damaged it'll need to be retested for safety

the guy had no tax renewal through (sat crashed for 5months) so it's clearly been recorded as it said on dvla website that the v5 is destroyed and they get no tax renewals when crashed as they need re registered.

8. 4_Stroke

4_Stroke Member

If the value is too small the insurers may pay out but not nother to process. I had a bike that went this way. The V5 was never transferred. I got to sell a clean bike!

9. jonny mac

jonny mac 1jzS14

yeha but i need a v5 in my name, i'll easily repair it, i just need to make sure i can get a v5 in my name, first by going through a vic test

but what's the deal with the insurance? do insurance companys have a problem with a cat C car?? that's been fixed?

10. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

cat C is no problem, you will struggle to insure cat A's and B's.

11. jonny mac

jonny mac 1jzS14

ah great! i'll call admiral tomorrow see what they say

i'll need to see if the car's properly fixable first.....

12. jonny mac

jonny mac 1jzS14

seen this on the vosa website:

The VIC may involve checking the car's accident damage but this is for identification purposes only, it does not assess the quality of the repair, so you should seek independent expert opinion as to whether the car is roadworthy. The car must be repaired to a high enough standard to indicate that it is going to be put back on the road. If it is not, VOSA may refuse to conduct the VIC. If, whilst carrying out the VIC the inspector notices a serious defect which would make the car dangerous to drive, then they will issue a prohibition notice. This will mean that the car cannot be driven until it has been made roadworthy and the prohibition has been removed.

13. Mcglinchey

Mcglinchey New Member

is cat a's and b's not meant for the scrappy and never to be on the road again?

14. jonny mac

jonny mac 1jzS14

cat A's and B's are destined for total loss and are unrepairable i.e roof squashed beyond repair

the cat C i looked up says parts are too expensive for the car to be fixed and it has to be repaired properly as it has small chassis damage (rear pannel bent)

15. alperin-s14

alperin-s14 Member

Yea you need a test where they check the car if it's safe to use on the road.. And then you re mot the car.

16. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

the vehicle needs to be pretty much repaired and be able to travel by its own power.

if you try and selotape a replacement quarter panel on then they will probably tell you to 'jog on' but they wont be doing a destruction test on your welds.

the purpose of the vic check is to cut down on people ringing cars by swapping the chassis numbers over with a smashed up car. so they wont let you just take the smashed up car for the test as it defies the point of it as you would chop the numbers afterwards.

on the last vic check i had they guy looked at the car outside in the carpark. he lit a fag walked over to the car, looked at the chassis numbers, walked back over to the building finished his fag and told me the test was done and gave me the 'apply for a log book form'.