Resprays? Where and how much?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by nicksource, Feb 28, 2012.

1. nicksource

nicksource New Member

Before I attack my S13 with rattles can anyone give me some advice on having it professionally sprayed? It won't be a shell, just want to drive it in and leave it for a week.

1. How much does it it roughly cost to have outside done if prep'd myself?
    2. Anyone recommend good spray shops?
    3. Do colours vary the price a lot, I assume just a gloss white is cheapest?
    Cheers,
    Nick.

2. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

standard issue colours cost the same. fancy stuff like metallic and pearl costs more.

its all down to the preparation.
    costs vary wildly as do standards.whereabouts are you?

3. big-al

big-al Member

1500 quid up wards

4. reeperR32

reeperR32 Drift-Street-Imports

Well in John in the highest part of Scotland will charge £500

And

Jack in Newquay will charge £2000

:wack:

5. lozza

lozza ChickFoot FTW!

Might be worth you looking into vinyl wrapping too, for solid basic colours it can be pretty cheap!

6. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

Depends on your idea of prepped too, BodyArt PaintWorks(on here as BodyArt) have done jobs for people that do the prep work, they usually spend half a day+ on the car to get it to a standard where it's somewhere near ready.
    But as a guide, if you do the prep they supply the paint(flat gloss colours from the chart, no metallic, no pearls) and paint it you'd be looking at around £1250 + additional prep work to get it up to standard charged at an hourly rate:thumbs:
    As pointed out above, standards vary.... Pay peanuts, you get monkeys..and all that.

7. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

Vinyl can work well too, it's good for drift cars as the colour can be matched easy if there's any need to ever repair, but it does take the paint off in a lot of cases when removed, then you got to respray the car anyway.. It 6 of one and half dozen of the other..

8. lozza

lozza ChickFoot FTW!

Proper body wrap vinyl lasts 10 years, a paint job would probably need re-doing after 10 years lol

9. -BodyArt-

-BodyArt- Member

You'll find that most paintshops aren't too keen on the whole 'if I prep it myself,it must be cheaper cause of the time it saves' thing.
    As is has been said countless times before paintwork really is all in the prep and unless you have ten years plus experience working in a bodyshop,you won't be able to prep the car anywhere near the standard any decent painter would need it.
    Its kind of like asking Nickson Motorsport to build you a cage but you are going to bend all the pipe for them to keep the cost down.

For an external blow over,(not including door,boot and bonnet shuts),in a solid colour you are looking at £1200+VAT minimum. For you want basic metallic or pearlesent add roughly another £500. If you want two-tone,candys,colour shift or any artwork it could be anywhere up to £5000+ depending on what you want.

NO TRADING

#9 -BodyArt-, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2012
  10. -BodyArt-

-BodyArt- Member

Not if it's done properly and looked after by its owner after it won't.

The trouble is most people do nothing but wash their cars with nothing but soapy water and thats it. Paint needs to be waxed every now and again to keep it looking its best and protect it from the weather,salt;(,bird shit and other things that will inevitably fall/land on something that spends 90% if not all of its life outside.

Don't get me wrong,I'm a fan of vinyl wraps and it has place,Sids car looked badass last year and I know what I would have wanted to paint that would have been a fucksite more than the wrap cost.

11. Sam H

Sam H Troll Dispatch

Lol, cos you know we'll be back in 2 weeks needing it done again after wall/barrier damage :-)

12. -BodyArt-

-BodyArt- Member

And what I mean by actually actively drifting.

13. reeperR32

I'd recommend body art, they've done some work for me before and now will be respray ing the soarer in couple weeks..

Canny wait :D

14. sx-si

sx-si anti-copy parts

i dont think the guy wants a show n shine lmao especialy seing as he was going to rattle can it
    as he said hes preped the car

i would expect to pay around £500 including paint for a body shop just to paint the car
    aka no prep, just roll in mask up, wash down with white spirit and a tack cloth n paint and bake

also if you rattlecan a car it can look quite good
    most people wont belive me but check liljoes r32 job it was very impressive in real life
    http://www.driftworks.com/forum/drift-car-projects-builds/153175-xx-rb25-r32-xx.html

#14 sx-si, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  15. testingtesting

testingtesting New Member

you could have a go with a wrap yourself, but it hides rust to a dangerous point too..

16. the stig

the stig Active Member

try R&M COACHWORKS 07903156826
    ive known ricky there for 30yrs and hes painted many of my drag/road cars and the mighty!
    i told them what i wanted and they delivered a superb job at a amazing price tbh

17. lozza

lozza ChickFoot FTW!

Have you ever seen a drift car after a years worth of drifting? You're on the wrong forum if you expect paint jobs to get looked after!

Personally, on drift cars i would go for a wrap.

18. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

BodyArt painted Justin's White Rocket Bunny s13 that did a complete season of BDC, it's still imaculate because it was done properly.
    Also done work on Dylans s14 amongst others:thumbs:

19. -BodyArt-

-BodyArt- Member

Yes,many. I've been on this forum since 2006 under an other user name.
    Only just started one under the shop due to pressure from mates/customers.
    Hadn't used the forum for ages because it had become full of retards.
    I'm not really thrilled with the way it still is if I'm honest.

Does vinyl take damage better than paint then? Is there some kind of padded wrap you can get now that absorbs impact?
    Drifting damages cars. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a mug.
    Do you remove the black marks on your rear quarters from where your tyres have slapped them on a wraped car? I bet you do.

Like I said I'm a fan of vinyl and has its place,on drift cars more so than anywhere in my opinion due to how often they are damaged. But I'm a painter,i'm going to defend paint.
    You are somehow affiliated with a vinyl wrapping company you are going to be bias towards vinyl.

I know the guys at Surrey Vinyl Wraps well,I painted their cars.

#19 -BodyArt-, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  20. reeperR32

Says it all really lol