4AGE AE86 vs AW11 Question.

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Unders, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Unders

Unders Member

Can anyone tell me the differences between the Corolla 4AGE and the MK1 MR2 4AGE?

From what I can find on the interwebs, the only difference is the intake facing the opposite way round.

2. MrLuke

MrLuke #172

Theres more differences than that, most of them are superficial so if you bought an aw11 engine to replace your broken 86 engine you could swap the ancillaries / mounts over and it would be okay. I think the sump is slightly different as well.

3. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

I don't know the exact ins and outs, but iv got a non TVIS Hi Torque AE92 4AGE, it has an 8 port inlet mani without the butterflies and other differences like compression I think. I believe it's the best 16v 4AGE you can get as standard, it's been converted to a RWD configuration too iirc. It also has oil cooler lines attached.

#3 dale_b, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  4. Unders

Unders Member

So there shouldn't be much of a problem using it in a RWD format?

I won't be using it as a replacement for an 86. The plan is a nice little upgrade for a KE30 I have. Engine mounts will need to be made custom so no problem there.

Any ideas of what other modifications/changes will need to be made to the engine?

5. Lauren*

Lauren* New Member

I think you mean for a KE30 WE have... :smash:

I get first skid of it when it's done. Should hopefully be a relatively quick project. Although, saying that, none of the projects we've ever tried to undertake have been quick ones. We've still got the reliant kitten sat in your garage almost a year on...

6. Unders

Unders Member

Will get round to that one day. KE30 first though!

7. MrHachi

MrHachi New Member

The head and block would be the same. Bluetop T-VIS. But You would need to use all acc (and customize the water plumping) and be sure to use a e-fan. If you bolt on a clutch fan to the MR2 water pump it will break. As you said the intake will face the wrong way, if you can find a Bluetop AE86 intake they will bolt right up.

4AGE 16V notes

Bluetop (also known as big port) AE86, MR2 Corolla FX16, has T-VIS w/8 runners
    Bigport redtop (same as Bluetop except has larger crank journals, has T-VIS w/8 runners. Corolla GTS FWD
    Redtop (also know as hicomp) has oil drain from back of head to block, has only 4 runners. Corolla GTS FWD

Hope that helps.

8. Lauren

Lauren Member

Sump is the same excepting oil cooler tappings for UK AW11s. Funnily enough I've just put an AW11 bottom end into my AE86. Swopped the ancillaries over. Water pump assembly needs swopping over to. I used my head (complete with HKS cams) so avoided the issue with the inlet as I never removed it from my head.

9. TwinCamDill

TwinCamDill Member

sumps, oil pick ups and dip sticks are different on rwd and fwd engines.

10. Lauren

Lauren Member

How so?

I've just put in an AW11 bottom end into my AE86. The bottom end that came out was an AE92. Obviously (perphaps) I didn't notice any difference. I swopped over my existing sump (only because it was in far better condition than the AW11 one) and used the AW11 oil pick up and the like. Couldn't see an issue with it.

I'd like to know though because this could have implications for me! I've a trackday this Saturday.

We had a look at the dipsticks, though the length can differ if you use the correct tube with each disptick the length they go into the sump is the same.

One thing to remember is that for a RWD application you must have a spigot bearing in the flywheel end of the crank to locate the gearbox input shaft. I didn't realise this, swopped in an AW11 bottom end, only to pull it all apart again a month later to put said bearing in. Lucky for me, the input shaft bearing did not have any appreciable play in it.

11. Olie

Olie New Member

Do you know the size of the spigot bearing required? I'm picking up a AW11 bluetop for my 86 hopefully next week :)

The engine is off a 1988 AW11, does anyone know if that makes it a 7-rib?

12. Lauren

Lauren Member

A 1988 AW11 4AGE will be a 7 rib redtop. It's easy enough to count the ribs if you're not sure, but Toyota stopped fitting 3 rib engines to the AW11 in 1987.

Spigot bearing is a 6001 2RS, but if I was you I'd get it from Toyota as they are higher quality than a generic one. A bearing shop will charge you about a fiver for one, but if you have time get the better bearing from Toyota.

HTH. :)

13. Olie

Olie New Member

Very helpful thanks :thumbs:

Is there anything else that I might need or should look out for when swapping the engine in?

Oli