Your thoughts 4x4 tow vehicle

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by reeperR32, Mar 19, 2012.

1. jonofd3

jonofd3 Active Member

Another one to take a look at..... Isuzu Trooper 3.1 (or later 3.0) also sold as a Vauxhall Monteray.... masses of pulling power, shit load better than any Land Rover to drive as it drives like a car, pulls well, tows well, and gets better fuel econamy aswell ;) also short and long wheel base versions, although I would recomend the LWB as they tend to have 7 seat option and plenty of load space..... or another one is a 3.0 Hilux Surf (has the R154 supra box with a transfer case IIRC).... literaly bomb proof!!!! but avoid the 2.4TD ad they suffer with head problems!!

Jono

2. reeperR32

reeperR32 Drift-Street-Imports

Lol this ain't fun

Right jeep is plated to tow 2.5t braked

To me that says I can tow a trailer and it's load totalling 2.5t - this doesn't inc the keeps weight

3. Alex B

Alex B Active Member

I don't care I'm just trying to help, but it is the little alloy plate on the A frame of the trailer that'll tell you the weight of the trailer, loaded, unloaded it doesn't matter, if the police or ministry stop you and it says 3500kg on that and they look on the car and see 2500kg, you will get done, even if the trailer is empty.

Here:
    [​IMG]

Not read it but this website may be helpful:

Safe & Legal Towing with a Matched Outfi...

But no it isn't fun, you try doing it commercially, you start getting loopholes like a lightweight trailer, (upto 1020kg unladen), doesn't count towards the vehicle weight so no need for a tacho, if it's for agriculture or horticulture and the load you're carrying is for use by the driver in the running of his business and within 13miles of the base tacho isn't required etc. It has given me hours of fun and many emails to VOSA etc!

Alex B

#23 Alex B, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  4. big_dan

big_dan Active Member

its a bit of a mine field really ur gunna want to just make sure the trailer can carry over 2.5t and so can the vehicle

5. reeperR32

Lol all good I'll do some more research

Back on topic

Isuzu being a 3.0 ain't gonna give me better than 30mpg is it? Not towing?

6. Liam.

Liam. Active Member

Discovery ! Cheap to buy and run , also an awesome winter vehicle .If you get a 200 tdi you will be a happy man .

7. big_dan

big_dan Active Member

there is a nice surf on ebay 1500 quid looks real clean

8. reeperR32

Was offered a 200 disco but turned it down as miles were stupid high

I'm really liking the surfs actually.

I test drive one couple yrs ago when I had my pajero (was testing fr a mate) and tbh I wasn't impressed but then I was comparing it to the paj and the surf felt like a car to drive with no leg room where the paj actually felt like a truck?!

However for my needs now a 2.4 could be the way to go. Just look for one where heads been done ideally but is there much in the mpg 3.0/2.4?

9. big_dan

big_dan Active Member

the 3.0 is the better engine i think the 3.0 might be just better on fuel

10. Nickson-Msport

Nickson-Msport Active Member

i have a hilux surf ssrx 3.0td manual and its the best truck i have ever driven. i have had it for 5 years and literally spent nothing on it apart from basic servicing. i have customers with discos and in 5 years they would have probably spent £5k on repairs! the disco will also be just as bad as any hilux on fuel!

avoid the 2.4 like the plague! even if the head has been done the whole driveline axles, gearboxes etc all fail at low mileages. the 3.0 is bullet proof in every way. mine has done 200k km and feels like new. i also towed a 7.5 tonne truck on a hill start, in the snow, as if it didnt even have the truck attached to it! amazing in the snow, and the mud. and feels like a car to drive rather than a tractor. i have driven every 4x4 out there, nothing gets close to a hilux. if u can find a good 3l then thats what u want mate!

good luck

11. GmasterT

GmasterT Heavy Industries...

lpg disco...

12. scouse

scouse Active Member

What about a mazda bongo 2.5 diesel and you can kip in it should you wish to bum ya mates and stuff:D
    also lucida,estima type of vehicle

13. reeperR32

Why kind of mpg do you get town and m/way?

14. Liam.

Liam. Active Member

Don't let mileage put you off with a disco, I have seen a few with over 500 k on . They are comfy as a normal car to drive . Hilux surf are awesome to . Don't get a auto though . Or if you want the ultimate 4x4 keep your eye out for an Isuzu 2.8 engined Disco .

15. JohnJ

JohnJ Active Member

Toyota all the way.

16. jonofd3

jonofd3 Active Member

You will be lucky to get 27-28 out of any 4x4 turbo diesle on a run and towing.... well you will be down to low 20's in most cases....
    Disco's are gutless, they should have skipped the 200 & 300 tdi and gone straight for the TD5!! granted they pull prety much anything, but they are sooooooooooooooo fucking slow doing it you need a callender not a stop watch!

Best thing I can say is, take any disco out for a spin, then any other 4x4 and you will see what I mean! even the old troopers with the 2.8 would stick with a TD5 and they are 20yrs old!! Actualy, Liams statement above says it all with the Isuzu 2.8 swap!! Basicaly in my opinion (and speaking from experiance as we have had Range Rovers and Land Rovers of most types in the family) the only thing that makes a land rover sell is it's tow capasity, not the way it drives, performs or build quality!!

Jono

17. GB / John

GB / John NDC Runner Up 2012

plus 1 on the Isuzu Trooper, they can tow 3.6 tonne I beleive, I've had 1.
    But only get the 3.1 TD, do not get the newer 3.0 TD as they have engine problems.
    As it is selectable RWD/4x4 you can get upto 35mpg when not towing, down to maybe 28mpg when towing.
    Only use 4x4 when on the slippy stuff, never use on tarmac etc. 3.1 TD can run on Veg Oil aswell.

18. reeperR32

See my mate builds discos and was massively into them hawk performance

And now he drives a grand Cherokee 03 diesel the merc engine and said there brilliant and would never touch another disco

These Isuzu's are they the big horns I'm seeing on eBay

19. GB / John

GB / John NDC Runner Up 2012

Yep, Bighorn is the Trooper's jap import, will come with better seats and other nice things.

20. cptsideways

cptsideways Active Member

Big Landcruiser for towing 4.2td mine does 22-24mpg towing, it wont break down, they are super simple to maintain, hold their value, dont rust (apart from tailgate) and make nice daily drivers too. 3.5ton tow limit on all of them. There is a reason the Taliban use them! You can find nice jdm imports for 3-4k in great condition, UK cars tend to be abused but do come with 3 x difflocks which makes them more valuable, if your not off roading get a jap one.

As for the plated weights thats a myth, the rule is so long as the towed trailer & load is within the plated weight of the vehicle you are legal, assuming you have a licence that is.