Noise restrictions at santapod

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by DaveyK, Jun 9, 2012.

1. bell

bell Without patience

Unless Santa pod do a noise db tester correctly it can't be authenticated as to loud, surely.

I'd be requesting my money back if I payed the £60, signed on and in my first lap was told I was to loud. Especially as the entrance and the track are opposite sides to each other and to get to the track you have to hand your ticket/money over before you have a chance to get noise tested!

I hate to say it but pod is seriously becoming a victim of shit lately, from running on ice to pot holes and then piss poor marshalling and a general attitude of not giving a shit.

Real shame as pod used to be real fun and brilliant organisation!

2. warby

warby Lifestyler Deluxe

Throw a bung in your boot just in case. I did as I wasn't wasting a ferry ticket, umpteen miles in fuel, diggs and a sore back for the sake of being loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. docwra

docwra Active Member

Tyres make noise too.

4. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

If the residents don't like it they complain to the council. The council come and do noise tests, give Pod guidelines on start times, lunch breaks for quiet times (during local primary school dinner breaks) and slightly earlier finish times. Pod tell Lex who organises the event to pass on the directions to "people who actually attend DWYB" during the briefing. If drifters ignore the briefing they will be asked to leave. If Pod continues to get hassle from the council I am sure they will simply cancel DWYB. They can't let DWYB compromise the other events held throughout the year.

Things that aren't currently popular at DWYB.

1. Un-silenced naturally aspirated engines.
    2. Bee-R rev limiters that go bang.
    3. Drifters doing stationary burnouts on the limiter.

With regard to people moving close to Pod which is a drag strip. Back in the day I am sure there were half a dozen drag racing events a year with a limited amount of running from a small amount of hard core drag racing enthusiasts. They weren't to know of the explosion of the modified car scene and emergence of drifting.

I work at Pod, mostly taking photos at modified car events and FIA Drag Meetings, this year I will be there taking photos for 107 days including 22 DWYB's.

If anyone has a genuine argument that they would like to take to the General Manager of Santa Pod Raceway with regard to noise regulations at DWYB then let me know and I can set up a meeting where you can explain your concerns.

I hope this helps to explain the reason for some decisions.

Ian. :)

#24 Blackett, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  5. Cyruz

Cyruz Sell Out

So I'm reading this as if it's straight through N/A or Rotory it'll be too loud for track. Assuming that S13/14/15 R32/33/34 with regular 3" systems will still be ok to run.

6. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

I know of 2x drift cars that have been static tested, ie not even full chat, three quarter rpm, they a LOT louder full chat, at over 125db.

7. Nickson-Msport

Nickson-Msport Active Member

of course there will be some exceptions, but most cars wont be over 120db, if they are, then thats just stupid as you originally stated. no1 needs a 120db exhaust!

8. Marg

Marg Member

ive been in to drag cars and going/crewing for years, and yes, there is constant noise over a whole drag weekend, and that does confuse me a little about the noise limits. on a good weekend, your pretty much seeing cars run every 20 seconds? so it is comfusing...

and when them gastly flat 4 engines come out with no mufflers im all for sound limits LOL the V8s can stay thou :p

i see what people are saying about it being a race track and having to have a limited noise, it seems stupid!

b-r limiters are pretty mental, and simons13 on here has been asked to turn it off before and did so.

unfortunately if a meeting was arranged via BP id doubt we would win. lol just keep your foot in and wait to be told to be quiet i guess!

9. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

Straight through exhausts may be cool, but it is well publicised on both Lex's DWYB threads on DW and the DWYB website that silencers are required on vehicles taking part in DWYB at Pod. This information is available before booking and turning up at Pod, so no-one should be surprised if they get asked to leave. However, Pod are kind enough to credit people for another day.

From the DWYB website: "Noise Restriction: There is a 105db Noise restriction in place for drifting so please ensure you car has mufflers and bring bungs if it is very loud. If people get turned away due to being too loud they will be credited for another day."

10. Marg

Marg Member

That's pretty fair really!

11. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Simple fact is noise limits have been around, almost all lower than 105db, at almost all trackdays, for well over a decade. Trackdays that currently average 6 days a week 12 months of the year. Way more than drift days, way busier than drift days, and usually with way faster cars than drift days.

So why people are crying about it at drift days is beyond me.

12. Clark3y

Clark3y Member

Will Pod be kind enough to credit me for another day after a pot hole in a newbie play pen ruined my rear suspension, wheel bearing, bent subframe.
    I wasn't very impressed tbh.

13. Sam...

Sam... Member

Are you sure a pot hole done that?? I would suggest you are exagerateing there?

If you are not impressed the question would be why would you want to be credited for another day that done such a vast amount of damage?

14. Sam...

Sam... Member

Tbh every one complains about the pot hole on the big track it's never done my car any damage in fact any one I no , and that's a he'll of a lot faster than a play pen...

15. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

I agree Stav. Pod have been pretty relaxed about noise since DWYB started, but they have to react to complaints from locals who have to put up with the associated issues with us having fun. There have been very few instances of driver being asked to quieten their cars down. Bearing in mind I have been at just about every DWYB since the beginning of 2009, I would say I have witnessed only a handful of occasions when it happened. Mark with the blue RX7 used to make a lot of noise and had a selection of bungs to use when he got picked up at either Pod or Mallory. Pete Green's Polish mate who had an orange E30 (identical to his) used to run no exhaust and it drove everyone crazy, so he had to shut it up. Recently, Gav from Driftbitz has been told to switch his Bee-R off. Chunk's (ex Pete Green) E30 'drift car for hire' had a hole in its exhaust and made a racket but Chunk's now sorted it. I can't remember anyone actually being told to stop drifting, just given the opportunity to quieten them down.

I know some venues wet the track to reduce tyre squeal and I am sure most carry out some form of noise testing, don't they?

#35 Blackett, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  16. JDM-SAM

JDM-SAM Member

I think it's just the unknown factor of weather your car will be too loud, as it's alot to risk, fuel, day of work for Wednesday's etc etc. a refund/exchange is a good thing and a saving grace.

All of us understand it's the councils etc but my gripe is they are harming Motorsport for us, I.e castle Combe now doesn't have proper GT's or f3000 due to noise! And realistically why does abit of noise ruin your day?! It's not like it's at 11pm!! It's just frustrating really!

17. richie_k83

richie_k83 Well-Known Member

Is it me or do some tracks seem to be turning their backs on allowing drifting? whether its noise related or not? First i can remember Awsomefest 2 was cancelled apparently due to the locals at Mallory having a whinge about noise etc, then Blyton park have banned it forcing SSDA to run their drift school at Birmingam wheels..... Not saying the folk at the Pod are thinking about it or owt... but as people have said you should be running a muffler/silencer of some sort anywho, but the drift area neglect and people with a not giving a crap attitude would start to suggest a similar fate....

18. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

This should have been dealt with on the day really.

Ian. :(

19. reeperR32

reeperR32 Drift-Street-Imports

Wtf?!

Why am I reading "it's ok to have loud exhausts on road but not track" lol

It's not ok, it's illegal, doh! Legal limit is around 70db!

As for pod as docwra said tyre screeching is stupid loud which doesn't help combined with loud exhauts.

Bee r's should be banned from pod as they are the loudest thing on any drift car!!

If we lose pod (imo best venue currently in uk for all levels especially newbies) because of some silly exhaust then that's fckud up! It's not hard to either stick a bung in or in the case of the op I have some metal wire wool I used for my blast pipes on the soarer last time.

If you want I can bring them with me? ;)

20. bell

bell Without patience

It's a fair statent that pod will re-credit those asked to leave through noise. I think that's very fair.

But!

Noise tests permitted by the ear of a Marshall are unfortunately an unfair ruling ( the same as mot testers) if a noise enforcement is to e put in place then it should be fair and done the same as castle Combe and other race tracks with a static db tester.
    I also feel that at the price charged for a day at pod (a day off work etc etc) it's no longer the value for money now that starting time finishing time and dinner breaks have been enforced. Bollox to locals as I agree that if you move next to a landmark race track you were being rather irrational thinking it was going to be silence and tranquil!

Also the point about drag racing and modified car scene being bigger than anyone thought, it's been alive and kicking for 50+ years so you can't use that as an excuse dude.

Perhaps the pod organisers should pop on to the forum and put there customers minds at rest, as good a job as your doing ian I find it unfair for you to be the only official voice speaking from dwyb.