Noise restrictions at santapod

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by DaveyK, Jun 9, 2012.

1. hug - lo

hug - lo Active Member

^^^ This information is incorrect!

I spend a lot of time in near and around Mallory park and even when the biker's school, as in learning to ride a motorbike, (standard 500cc learner bikes) are out on track you can hear them and thats in a village 3 miles away across acres and acres of fields, tree's and valleys!

Pod is the most relaxed place i have been to personally however due to it's location i'm sure buxton have no worries in comparison! :thumbs:

This is the world we live in people, This isn't NZ where a days track hire cost £400 all in for every one ect ect. It may be shit for some BUT Deal with it! As it's all we have!!!!

2. wixsy

wixsy Member

With Stavros on this, at least he makes sense, as for Nickson, "fuck what the residents want". What a twat of an attitude. Thats what half the trouble is nowadays with this country, no respect for other people!

3. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

jesus fricking christ!

guys listen up to what the fuck your being told and stop acting like difficult teenagers.

pod are now saying they dont want exhausts that are over the top loud for the sake of it. fucking grow up and deal with it or dont attend. simple.

all of you know the difference between loud and taking the piss loud. and no one is asking you to run stock exhausts or doing this for no reason.

locals complain, drifting gets shut down. locals always win so toe the line.

as for other complaints on this thread about someoen who bent an arm on a pothole, unfortunate but is this the place to bring it up? talk to the organisers on the day.

people need to really look at their attitudes on here and grow up

4. Marg

Marg Member

^true,

Would be nice for a longer day at pod! 10-4 seems short :(

5. TheUrbanTiger

TheUrbanTiger Nickbradydrift.com

I have to agree with Nickson. Unfortunately though 9 out of 10 of joe public are never satisfied, and if there is a moan to be had it will be had, especially where noise is concerned!!

Fact of the matter is, as frustrating as it is, these bastards have the upper hand over us and we have to abide by the rules to do what we all love to do.

It is the same for all tracks, usually the noise limits are a part of the planning consent, if they are reguarly exceeded the track can be closed down.

We just have to suck it up and get on with it and pray that appeases them and keeps them off our back.

6. Nickson-Msport

Nickson-Msport Active Member

doh! the only actual law states that exhausts should not be modified to increase the noise level. even a current sva test will allow exhaust noise of 101db so how would a 70db exhaust be illegal?
    you will also find most manufacturer std exhaust systems on performance cars will be around 85-95db from factory, with a lot of sports cars well over 100db. a standard 911 gt3 can kick out 106db with ease same with many of the ferraris/lambos. if 70db was illegal, the majority of sports cars wouldnt be allowed on the road. this is also the example i was refering to, stating that cars such as these factory 911's, ferraris, lambos, caterhams etc, can drive around the roads perfectly legally, although put them on the track and apparently they are to loud! how does that work??
    the basic fact is that any car with an exhaust louder than standard is ''illegal'' although this is a law that is rarely enforced and also a very grey area! MOT tests are down to the testers discretion. i would imagine the law is a similar story. if a copper thinks your exhaust is to loud, then it is! the fact it has passed an mot or sva test does not mean it is legal.

7. Nickson-Msport

Nickson-Msport Active Member

tbh mate i was just having a rant, as its frustrating that noise restrictions are getting so strict in many places (not aimed at pod as tbh 105db is perfectly acceptable). it wasnt meant as a literal statement. people do know that there is a track nearby when they buy a house, so they should take that into consideration when buying a house there! rather than move in and then complain about the noise!

i also feel the force of local residents complaining about noise while i try to run a buisness (same as these track owners are trying to do), my industrial estate is governed by working limits i cant work after 6pm, or after 1pm sat, or on a sunday at all, because there is 1 house within 2 mile radius! and the people living in this house make it there lives ambition to cause as much grief and trouble for people on the estate because they can! i have been in on a sunday to let a customer collect a car, to be greeted by the home owner saying i shouldnt be there! even though they had a ride on lawnmower and 3 petrol strimmers going in the garden making a stupid amount of noise. they just wanted to make my life difficult, even though i was making no effect on there day in any way!

a lot of the residents local to tracks are very similar to this situation! i bet they cant even hear the noise most of the time, they just complain because they are bitter people with nothing better to do! thats what winds me up. what i was stating is that a lot of standard production cars can drive around on the road, but cant get onto a track due to noise limits, this seems stupid to me??

i totally agree that stupidly loud exhausts are not necessary. but std production cars !! come on!

8. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Not at all.
    But if drifters want to drift, they have to obey by the same RULES as everyone else, and PAY the same as everyone else.
    Its just like everyone thinks they entitled to freebies as sponsorship, drifters seem to think unless they get to drift for next to nothing and do what they like when they like, they the ones hard done by.

The fact Awesomefest happened was a fucking MIRACLE in my opinion. Try go to to ANY trackday at Mallory normal- Oh, whats that? Yep, noise limits! Noise limits that 50% of the cars wouldnt pass!
    100% of them could be made to pass without losing any performance, but drifters in the UK dont.

Same as drift days at Mallory dont happen anymore (BEST place the UK has ever had) as hardly anyone turned up so they didnt make enough money to make it worthwhile- Trackdays are always packed.

Same 'risk' everyone going to a trackday has. So they just make sure their exhaust isnt spastic loud, then there is never an issue.

9. MrLuke

MrLuke #172

Welcome back, thought youd gone soft being a mod :p

10. Gogzy

Gogzy Active Member

Didnt gibson get sent packing when he had his v8 e36 for being too loud?

11. Flump

Flump Member

Na it poped befor they had the chance to throw him of track gogz, though he was told if it hadnt have broke they would have kicked him off lol, now that was an antsocial car!

12. docwra

docwra Active Member

Also, for those saying "But the drag boys can make noise", consider the history and income drag racing has at pod.

Now do the same for drifting.

13. Maxdrift

Maxdrift Member

Off subject but, Ive never heard of a law stating you cant work after certain times ect. I own an industrial esate in cardiff, there's houses right outside it and havn't had any problems in years. Isit a actualy law or you on some locked up community sort of thing? If you want to pm me please so i wouldn't mind some more information on this. cheers

14. PhillE30

PhillE30 Member

+1

I think that the exhaust noise ruling is fair, it shows understanding and acknowledgment to the local community and it gives potential for dwyb to keep running in the future.
    A little compromise is better then no event at all.

I do think a official noise test should be enforced with the correct equipment
    And a scruitineering pass given.

15. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

Sums it all up nicely really. :D

The modified car scene has grown and this has resulted in many more events being organised at venues like Santa Pod. In the beginning there were large gaps in the calendar with nothing going on. Bug Jam is probably the longest running one which is in its 26th year, starting in 1987.

USC - 2003
    The Fast Show - 2004
    Japshow - 2004

I just checked my 2006 calendar and with the inclusion of DWYB and many other new events there are in the region of 40 extra days at Pod this year.

I don't think Pod organisers would be any better at stating the obvious than I am. Anyone with a point to make can speak to Lex who organises the event via PM or on the day. However, as I said if anyone wishes to take things further I can set up a meeting so you can voice any serious concerns.

Ian. :)

16. reeperR32

reeperR32 Drift-Street-Imports

Not noise related but I'd love to see a new track layout Ian, anything in the pipeline for this to happen??

17. docwra

docwra Active Member

Noise laws fall under environments agency, bottom line is that if no-one is complaining there isnt a problem. I dont think there is any upper or lower limit to it, just whether it causes a nuisance.

18. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

Lex sets the track out, speak to him. At the last DWYB the top track was a slight variation on the norm, which was refreshing.

Ian. :D

19. J_K_P

J_K_P Active Member

I can't quite get my head around why people want such horrifically loud exhausts??
    It gets really annoying when you have to stop conversations because a car is having a go that is soo damn loud that you just can't hear someone else shout.
    There are no performance benefits to having an exhaust that loud. It just pisses people off and gives us a bad name and eventually gets days shut down.

20. Rads_s13

Rads_s13 DWYB & DRIFT TAXI

We try to mix it up a bit and make changes to keep it challenging even if its just making the S's mor technical, but you'd be suprised how many people don't like change! lol