Importing a car from japan? any tips?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Spidey, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Spidey

Spidey Member

Hi I'm looking at importing a 180sx, has anyone on here imported a car? Any tips? what do i need to sort out before i buy the car and get it sent here? any info would be great!

Thanks

2. DoriDave

DoriDave ~~Sore-Arse~~

Phone up the DVLA and request an 'import pack' it'll give you info and what paperwork you will need.

3. Robbs

Robbs FRANTIC

use japaneseusedcars.com on here, they will guide you through the process, I've just bought a car through them (due to collect it from the docks on tuesday) its been simple if not a bit of a long wait (due to slow boat not because of problems)

4. Spidey

Spidey Member

Magic, exactly what i needed!

Cheers

5. tudor.

tudor. Member

here are another 2 sites were you can find cars

tradecarview.com
    japan-partner.com

6. RXsteve

RXsteve Member

7. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison Driftworks Owner
    Staff Member

Another vote for japaneseusedcars.com There's been lot's of horror stories of buying from Japan, Japaneseusedcars can be 100% trusted. I've imported 3 cars with them and they've been awesome throughout the whole process.

8. Spidey

Spidey Member

so with japaneseusedcars.com you give deposit then you can see the car grading cards etc. and then you go from there or how does it work?? do you still need an "import pack" from the DVLA or do they sort out that kinda thing aswell?

9. mpls24

mpls24 Member

Japaneseusedcars get the vote off me. They simplify the process and do the leg work for you. Always helpful when you ask for advice, your best bet is to message rees on here mate thats how i got started.

10. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison Driftworks Owner
    Staff Member

I've never had an import pack from the DVLA. I imagine it's just the information that makes things easier. Basically it goes:
    Buy a car, make sure it's more than 10 years old
    Have it shipped to a port near you.
    Collect it and pay the import and VAT charges
    MOT it using the chassis number. A non friendly MOT inspector will require rear fog lights and some other useless shit to be fitted.
    Register it with the DVLA with some small charges and pay for a tax disc.
    Get your registration from the DVLA a week or so later and plate and insure the car.

11. DoriDave

DoriDave ~~Sore-Arse~~

I was told about an import pack when I imported my ae86 from Andy at Powervehicles, think it was just so the dvla knew the specs of the car, ie, engine cc, kerb weight and the like. But that was the first car I had imported so I didn't really know that you could do it without it.

12. The Pervert

The Pervert Member

just out of curiosity why does the car have to be over 10 years old?? import fees or something??

13. jeffries

jeffries Member

Because if it's under ten years old then it needs to be SVA tested aswell which is expensive especially if the model report isn't widely available. Also you need insurance before you get get it registered and some companies won't insure without a reg.

14. mpls24

mpls24 Member

If its under 10 years old you can have problems at the SVA test if its been modified.

15. Mashead

Mashead Member

Japaneseusedcars.com

End of story

16. agentsmith350

agentsmith350 Member

Didn't want to raise a new thread for the sake of a couple days - Im looking at importing using JM-Imports , Is there much in it between them and J.U.C ? I was looking at Jm because it seemed they take care of everything from finding the car to the point i would just be picking the car up and driving it away.... , is it a massive price difference by sorting the car yourself once its in the UK or something ?

17. Autospecs

Autospecs JDM Car Export

DIY is simple and you will pay a premium for having someone do it for you, how much you pay will depend on each outfit.

Need any help let me know.

18. combattuk

combattuk Member

The only problem I had when importing my Silvia was the thieving little shites at Southampton docks taking bits out the car, I.e amplifyer and gauges, also take a tyre pump with you as the tyres tend to go flat if you've got it on a boat for a good period of time and again the numbnuts that work at the dock drove it off with flat tyres damaging the wheels in the process,

All other aspects of importing it was really simple

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

19. mint

mint touch my fruit

Iv actually just finished filling in my V55/5 form for registration. Well.. to the best I can. Most of the boxes require the Certificate of Conformity .. I dont have that :S

*EDIT - Just phoned the DVLA. You dont need one if the car is older than 10 years, So the same as the SVA.
    Sorted.

#19 mint, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  20. a2pen

a2pen Member

Insurance is the worst bit
    not all insurance company cover chassis number for the tax/registering
    2 options
    there is 2 company's ring your local dvla place they should tell you
    or traders policy cover note

:thumbs:japaneseusedcars.com