Simply Sideways Gymkhana/Autosolo 5th August, Bovingdon Airfield- £35

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by jamesg6r, Jul 20, 2012.

1. jamesg6r

jamesg6r Member

Simply Sideways Gymkhana/Autosolo 5th August 2012, Bovingdon Airfield- £35

The Middlesex Motor Club have organised to hold this event on the full length of Bovingdon Airfield this year, on Sunday 5th August. The turnout to last year's gymkhana was fantastic, and hope this can be replicated this year too. We ran a gymkhana earlier on in the year, but due to heavy rain the turnout was not huge, although many did brave the heavy rain :D.

What is great about these event is the laid back feel, and fun that you can get out of a cheap day of Motorsport specifically aimed at newcomers. The variation of cars is great too, the likes of full competition drift cars, rally cars to your average daily drive all competing together makes it great for spectators.

The price is £35 for a full day which includes membership which is needed to compete. The cheapest form of compeditive motorsport around.No racesuits or roll cages needed!Bring plenty tires and fuel. [​IMG] The maximum amount of cars to enter is 60. Payment will be accepted on the day. £20 for members, and £35 for non-members.

I will post all the rules and regs later. In the meantime here is a video from last year's event, filmed by our friends from Souldrifting.com.

Let's try and get loads more entries this year :cool: So come along!

#1 jamesg6r, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  2. jamesg6r

jamesg6r Member

Two weeks to go!!!

3. littleT_23

littleT_23 Member

I think this clashes with the bdc at lydden hill.

4. OtakuHunter

OtakuHunter JZXBOSS

Lydden is the week after.

5. Rich330

Rich330 Member

Will you guys have a tyre van?

Is there anyway to pay in advance to secure a space? Would suck making the drive to discover all 60 slots got filled for example..?

6. jamesg6r

jamesg6r Member

The venue is near Hemel Hempstead, Herts (map ref: 166/009046). It is within 6
    miles of the M25 junction 20 and the M1 junction 8, approached via the A41. You should
    leave the A41 at the Bourne End Services sign and take Upper Bourne End Lane, which is a
    turning off the slip road to the Services. Continue to the end of the lane, turn right through
    the left of the two gates and follow arrows on to the airfield. Note - there is no access from
    B4505 or Bovingdon village.

SUPPLEMENTARY REGULATIONS
    1 The Middlesex County AC will organise a Clubman AutoSOLO on Sunday 5th August
    2012. The event will be at Bovingdon Airfield, off the A41 between Hemel Hempstead and
    Tring, Herts.

2 The Meeting will be governed by the General Regulations of the Motor Sports Association
    (incorporating the provisions of the International Sporting Code of the FIA), these
    Supplementary Regulations and any written instructions that the organising Club may issue
    for the event.

3 MSA Permit Number 72441 has been issued.

4 The event is open to ;
    Fully elected members of Middlesex County AC, Harrow Car Club, RS Owners Club,
    Green Belt MC and Farnborough & DMC.

5 The event is a round of The Middlesex County AC Challenge

6 All competitors must produce a valid Club Membership card.

7 The programme for the event will be ; Scrutineering starts at 8.45 am. Any competitor not
    signed on by 10.15 am may be excluded. The first car will start at 10.30 am.

8 The event will consist of 3 classes as follows:-
    A - Drivers who have not competed on more than two AutoSOLOs.
    B - Drivers who have not won more than one award, other than novice or ladies, on a
    tarmac Autotest or an AutoSOLO.
    C - All other drivers.
    Note that all Junior Drivers (those aged 16/17) and those without a full RTA licence must
    drive a saloon car. All vehicles must be road legal and driven to the event. Tyres from List
    1B will not be allowed.

9 Awards will be presented as follows:-
    Fastest Time of the Day An award
    Best MCAC Competitor An award
    1st in class An award
    2nd in class (subject to 7 starters) An award
    3rd in class (subject to 10 starters) An award
    Best placed lady competitor (subject to 3 starters) An award

10 The entry list opens on publication of these Supplementary Regulations and closes on
    5th August. The entry fee is £20 up to Friday 3rd August and £25 thereafter.
    All entries must be made on the official entry form and accompanied by the appropriate
    fee. All entries must indicate on the entry form whether ot not they hold a full RTA driving
    licence. Those who do not must drive a saloon car.

11 The Secretary of the meeting to whom all entries must be sent is;
    Chris Keys, 93 Windsor Road, Pitstone, Bucks, LU7 9GG
    Tel: 01296 660464 email: chris-keys@fsmail.net

12 The maximum entry for the event is 60. The minimum is 15. The maximum for each class
    is not set, the minimum is 3. Should any of the above minimum figures not be reached the
    organisers have the right to either cancel the event or amalgamate classes as necessary.
    Entries will be selected in order of receipt. Entry fees may be refunded in full up to the
    closing date for entries, thereafter at the organisers’ discretion.
    13 Other Officials are :-
    Club Stewards - Brian Catt
    Clerk of the Course - Peter Cox, 19A Oxford Street, Lambourn, Berks, RG17 8XS
    tel: 01488 72027 email: drpeter.cox@virgin.net
    Chief Marshal - Darren Pike tel: 01753 683899 email: darrenp@mcac.co.uk

14 Provisional results will be published as soon as possible following the finish of the event.

15 Any protest must be made in accordance with C 5.1.2

16 a) Details of the tests will be sent with final instructions.
    The definition of test performance and a wrong test is as follows: In any diagram
    illustrating a test, dimensions will be approximate and for guidance only, whilst the sequence
    of manoeuvres will be mandatory but not exclusive. A maximum penalty will be imposed
    when the mandatory sequence of manoeuvres has not been correctly completed. A test will
    not be incorrect if the driver realises his/her mistake, goes back to the point at which the
    mistake occurred and then completes the test correctly as required by the diagram.
    b) Each driver will have at least two runs at each test, the slowest time not to count for
    awards..
    c) Timing will be by hand held watches to 0.1 sec
    d) The starting signal will be ‘in your own time’ and timing will commence when the front
    wheels cross the next line and finsh when the front wheels cross the flying finish.
    Competitors must stop at the stop line.
    e) Order of attempting tests will be numerical
    17 Marking and penalties will be as follows:
    Hitting any pylon 5 secs
    Failing to stop at stop line 10 secs
    Not performing a test correctly 20 secs plus the lowest penalty on that
    run in the class.

18 Practising will NOT be allowed.

19 Competitors will be identified by numbers which will be provided by the organisers.

20 All other General Regulations of the MSA apply as written except the following which are
    modified:-
    M 13.4 A vehicle may be entered three times by three different drivers.

21 Please make sure that your car is in good mechanical condition. The venue is noise
    sensitive and scrutineering will include a noise check.

7. jamesg6r

jamesg6r Member

There is no tyre van I'm afraid. If you get in contact with the organiser Chris Keys on 01296 660464 he will secure you a place. Or alternatively you could email him at, chris-keys@fsmail.net :thumbs:

8. galls_s14a

galls_s14a Member

just emailed looks like alot of fun

9. drifter r32

drifter r32 mentally young

Great fun last year in my 34, R32 this year me thinks for a fun day ;-)

10. chazbob

chazbob Member

Done this last year in my stock s14, was a great 1st drive in the car. Went to the one this year in April, absolutely hammered it down all day but still didnt stop me having a laugh! Kills your tyres so bring plenty. Awsome cheap day out, hope it stays dry! I really wanna see more drifters there so sign up lol. Put me down James (:
    Charlie Bridgeman - Nissan S14

11. AndyTR

AndyTR Member

Looks like a great day 15 minutes away from me so count me in!

12. jamesg6r

jamesg6r Member

Sure is a fun day out mate, last year you certainly entertained :D

Be good to see the 14 out again Charlie. For sure, it would be great to see more people off of driftworks getting involved. It is such a cheap day out, which is always fun and a right laugh with your mates.

Cool, see you there mate:thumbs:

13. jamesg6r

jamesg6r Member

To everyone who is coming along, I have just received this e-mail about sending in your entry form, which can be downloaded at The Middlesex County Automobile Club. You must then email the filled in entry to Chris Keys. His e-mail is chrisk@mcac.co.uk It is just to save time on the day and avoid delaying the event. Cheers guys. :thumbs:

Here is a message from an organiser about entries.

Hi everyone,

With just over a week to go, entries are filling up fast for the Simply Sideways AutoSolo at Bovingdon Airfield on Sunday 5th August. Due to time pressures on the day, we need to have your entry form before the event, and as there are still quite a few promised entries that have yet to be received by Chris Keys, make sure you send him your completed entry forms by email or post ASAP in order to make sure you can run on the day.

Visit The Middlesex County Automobile Club for regs and entry forms and email your completed forms to chrisk@mcac.co.uk

Regards,
    Brian Catt for Middlesex County Automobile Club.

14. chazbob

chazbob Member

Hello bud, sent my entry form to that email address. Can i pay on the gate like i always do?

15. jamesg6r

jamesg6r Member

That is perfectly fine mate, the idea with sending off the entry forms was to save time. Paying on the day is what most people will be doing anyway :thumbs:

16. chazbob

chazbob Member

sweet. will anyone be getting footage like last year? Would love some vids/pics so it actually looks like i can drift a bit ;)

17. jamesg6r

jamesg6r Member

I am not sure about footage, but someone from the club will be taking pictures for sure ;) especially taking pictures of the wilder and more exciting drivers I bet haha:nod:

18. gaz61

gaz61 Member

Two of us were up for this until I just read the Regs. Neither of our Drift cars are road legal and are trailered to events, so that's us out then!

19. littleT_23

littleT_23 Member

The last two times i ve done this autosolo people have trailered cars. Like the rally cars in the video were trailered. They do do a walk around of every car to make sure bits are not falling off.

20. jamesg6r

jamesg6r Member

As Tony said trailering your cars there is fine, many competitors trailer their cars, such as the rally cars.

The main thing scrutineers look at are the safety of the car. Like any drift day at Pod or where ever, it's important just make sure bits arnt hanging off the car. Having a secure battery and a throttle return spring are two things I remember the scrutineers wanting last time. Most rally cars who will be attending won't technically be 'road legal' either. So come along you will be fine. :D