????turbo????

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by combattuk, Jul 24, 2012.

1. combattuk

combattuk Member

Hi guys I need to replace my gt28 bb on my silvia and ideally I'd like to replace it with the same turbo, I know frsports are doing the garret 28 for $899

My question is has anybody had any experance with these turbos from eBay there saying there 18g td05

[​IMG]

There offering a 1 year warranty with um any imput?

Cheers

Matt

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

2. hug - lo

hug - lo Active Member

From my own experience and what i have read on here anything up to a bar will be absolutely fine on these 'copy' turbos. I ran an x s sports 18g td05 copy and it was perfect for the whole time i had it until the next owner of the car turned the boost up to 1.2bar and it only lasted a few months iirc.

Hope this helps?!?

3. Sideways s13

Sideways s13 Member

Mine has been on the car since the engine got built over a year ago... Running 1.6 bar never has any problem

4. Gavwan

Gavwan Back to Black

I'm running a kinugawa version of the td05 20g mapped for 1.3bar and it's good. I have run 1.5 bar on it and it had no problems at all. It made 372bhp and 360lbs at 1.3bar mapped by protuner.

A couple of friends have used generic ebay turbos with mixed results but the Kinugawa has been fine under HARD use and you can order replacement cores from them too

5. combattuk

combattuk Member

Iv got my eye on one of those on eBay atm, if you don't mind me asking what other mods did you have to reach the 370 mark with that turbo?

Il only be looking at running a bar of boost anyway as only want around the
    300bhp mark

6. Gavwan

Gavwan Back to Black

I'm running 256 Tomei cams, Nismo 740 injectors, Z32 maf, MHG etc. To be honest with you, if you are only after 300ish I'd go for a smaller turbo or at least the 18g exhaust side. It's better to run a bit more boost through a smaller turbo than have more lag than the power is worth imo.

7. combattuk

combattuk Member

What rpm is your turbo kicking in at? I don't mind having a bit of lag if it means being able to have the means for more bhp later down the line without having to change the turbo again,

I want 300 atm as I'm still getting used to the car but I know a year or so down the line il want more power lol

8. silverzx

silverzx Member

Personally I'd avoid eBay (cheap china) copy turbos like the plague.

You get what you pay for and considering your turbo is the most important and fragile component of your intake system you may aswell get a reputable brand.

I'd rather have a 2nd hand genuine garrett that's covered 100k then a copy.

Each to their own and all that though..

9. Gavwan

Gavwan Back to Black

I honestly haven't looked, I'd guess about 4k but I'll bump the thread when I take it out next

10. combattuk

combattuk Member

Awesome cheers buddy

11. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Consdiering how piss weak most Garretts are, I don't agree with that.

12. Geldy

Geldy the pain train woowo

save up get a brand new real thing trust me if you buy a copy you risk buy twice ;)

13. combattuk

combattuk Member

Iv gone for a kinugawa td06 20g iv heard good things about them but also some bad but like any turbo make that's the way it seems

There's some vids on YouTube of skylines running over 500bhp on these turbos, manufacture recommend 1.5 bar and can achieve 340+

Soon as it arrives and fitted and mapped il post up my results

14. Gavwan

Gavwan Back to Black

TD06 20g is a bit laggy on a standard SR so you might want to run a shorter diff if you mainly goto smaller tracks. You'll probably be looking at 390ish with bigger squirrels and MAF tho :-)

15. combattuk

combattuk Member

its not a standard engine, iv got cp pistons and eagle rods with ACL main and big end bearings a 1.1mm cometec steel head gasket and arp head studs so shel handle the boost, its got the standard afm with a apexi filter and I'm unsure of the make of manifold iv got but looking online at some that look simular its a goodun

But I will be looking at a z32 n bigger injectors for it before the remap :-) I'd be more then happy with that kind of power figure though :D