S13 Daily Driver/Occasional Skidder/Life Ruiner

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by ali303, Jul 27, 2012.

1. ali303

ali303 Member

S13 Daily Slipwheeling Bladwagon

I took this as part-ex + some £s for my old FC Rx-7 'vert which I was pretty happy with as I've always wanted a 13. It wasn't in the best of shapes and had a few choice modifications that seemed to have been done instead of the important stuff but then again there were a few nice bits and bobs: welded diff, turbo-back system, side skirts, Rocket Bunny style rear spoiler, lazy-eye setup etc. Nevertheless it seemed to be in a healthy state underneath so I decided to crack on with getting it to half decent spec by focusing on the essentials first.

How it came (apologies for the Instagram pictures):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First thing was to remove all of the stickers and stickerbombing...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and while I was waiting for parts I made a start on getting the wiring sorted. This eventually resulted in me stripping back the entire radio harness jobby and wiring up a BMW one onto there so I could use a modern radio...after staring at wiring diagrams for a long time and some trial and error with a multimeter I got it all sorted as well as all of the other interior electric issues (clock, lighting etc.) I also stuck my Nardi on there along with my head unit. It might be uncool but I also hated the stripped interior so I picked up a full rear interior and carpet and got it all fitted.

From this mess (excuse the gauges I had lying around so decided to trial fit...)

[​IMG]

...to this.

[​IMG]

Then I picked up some HSD DT coilovers...

[​IMG]

and got it reasonably low.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lifestyled like a baws...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and then I acquired some Rota Grids.

[​IMG]

Got these on and was pretty happy with how it turned out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up I need to roll the rear arches and get some spacers on there and maybe get it lowered a little bit more all round. I've also got a pre-facelift front bumper waiting to go on and then I could do with picking up a bucket seat and getting the rear end more solid. I've got a lot on in the next few months but I'm hoping to get to at least one Santa Pod DWYB before the season's out, probably September. In the long run I could do with sticking an SR in there as well, the CA is currently on 155k and running on black magic and fairy dust :smokin:

#1 ali303, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  2. chidley

chidley i like fingers

looks alright, always had a soft spot for s13's but hard to find a decent one nowadays and would have to go same route as you want and SR convert it... massive CBA lol

3. Dex

Dex kut!

CA's on black magic FTW. mien is running on horse blood and voodoo. it wont die, i tried, hell i try everytime i drive it haha

lower it more, get those skirts on the floor! :D

4. Tim200s13

Tim200s13 Member

i recognise those rota's mate;) hope you enjoy them, car lookss great now, it's true what they saay wheels certainly do make a car. Subscribed mate will be nice to see what else you get up too.........:thumbs:

5. Struggle

Struggle Active Member

do this, get some adjustable arms, set it up and go do lots of skids. plenty of oportunities to learn :)

6. ali303

ali303 Member

Thanks guys, and thanks for the wheels Tim!

Not really any updates other than to say the car is getting frequent abuse and I'm loving pretty much every moment of it. Drivers seat, some spacers for the rear and, as Struggle says, maybe some adjustable suspension bits and bobs are the next jobs. Probably tie rod ends and tension rods to begin with to get a bit more lock on the go.

Also test fitted a pignose bumper I picked up a while ago. Will spray it up soon and get it on proper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ali303

ali303 Member

Stuck the pre-facelift bumper on, much better clearance now. Was also getting very hot and sweaty thanks to the drivers side window mechanism being basra'd so stuck a new door on. Took some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got a few more bits and bobs to buy and then hopefully I'll be off to Santa Pod on Sept 19th. Loving the car so far though and having so much fun it so hopefully it's even better in a more...legitimate location.

8. sam-ski

sam-ski Member

looks awesome man!

9. Munks

Munks Member

looks nice pal !!

10. ali303

ali303 Member

Thanks guys!

So I picked up some Japspeed camber, toe and traction arms and and set about fitting them.

[​IMG]

Well, once we'd finished fucking around...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...we got to work...

[​IMG]

...and had them on shortly afterwards. We just set the toe and traction arms to the same length as the standard items but we dialled out some of the camber as my tyre wear on the inside was pretty horrendous. It's getting aligned properly this weekend.

[​IMG]

In other news the turbo seals are very much past their sell by date and it's smoking quite badly, I've ordered a new turbo but haven't heard anything from the seller and I'm starting to doubt wether or not it'll even turn up :S It's going to be a bit of a rush seeing as I've also booked myself into Santa Pod DWYB next Wednesday (19th) which I'll be going to with a few of the others from the Manc brigade.

11. aaronblue

aaronblue Active Member

I love how this looks buddy. sits really nice and enjoy the skidding bud.

12. andy c

andy c Member

IMO. needs some sort of rear bumper to tie in the rest of the kit. looks welllll odd otherwise.

when is a drift day booked...?

13. dori_wey

dori_wey Member

dont get a kit for the rear honestly just hassle 180 rear would be win, also engine pics and specs :p please

14. davey

davey Active Member

hhhhm, the red s13, looks like ive seen that before! do you know mr tippers by any chance?

btw, nice 13 dude, thats how they should all be ;)

15. Spidey

Spidey Member

Looking nice man! Get an sr20 in there! :D

16. ChrisL200SX

ChrisL200SX Member

Looking well man. I miss this car!

All the best for Pod!

17. dori_wey

dori_wey Member

dont sr20 it CA FTW

18. ali303

ali303 Member

Thanks man!

The only non-OEM bodywork on the car is the skirts, Rocket Bunny and front wings which are just 180sx replicas, some OEM rear spats wouldn't go amiss though I guess. Drift day is booked for next Wednesday.

Not much to see under the bonnet haha, just a magical CA that's somehow still beating after 156k happy miles :p

I do indeed, that's his driveway and garage in those pics ;)

Soon ;)

Cheers dude!

Haha, maybe if it wasn't on six figure mileage I'd consider it...

Also, few pics I forgot to include:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Moved the boost gauge where I could see it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#18 ali303, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  19. dori_wey

dori_wey Member

looks real good just ffreshen it up sr arent all that, mate did a sr conversion when his ca was fine shat it self straight away

20. ross_striker

ross_striker Active Member

car looks awesome bud, got any engine and interior pics?

hey hey hey, that could have been just a dodgy sr, i love sr's and ca's the same, happily bounce both off the limiter :) lol

Glwtb