The fitness thread

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by kam, Jun 29, 2012.

1. milez

milez Active Member

shoulders again this morning.

trying to do abit more on dumbells to even out with what i can do on smith machine.

Got up to 32.5kg on dumbells for 7 reps. Then just done a light set on 22.5kg and as i helped them up with my knee ive pulled something on the left hand side of my back and its fucking killing!

2. yogi bear

yogi bear Active Member

That leg routine is fucking shit! Lol

Where are the heavy compounds? No stimulus of the big muscle groups. I.e quads, glutes, hamstrings

3. jimo746

jimo746 New Member

It's all about the "core". leg raises, plank, dead lift etc. :-)

4. oli_the_thread

Like I say it was just a quick one after work, by no means a full crazy leg session, but I can assure you after incline press my quads have been worked and were sore as fuck for the past few days, same for glutes, when pulling the sled properly deep in, that's when glutes engage and I know that they got a good working too.
    Id usually throw in some curls and extensions too but didn't have time the other night.
    What would you suggest adding to that? My shoulder still isn't feeling strong enough to support squats which fucking sucks, as I appreciate they are without doubt one of the most effective exercises.

5. finchy

finchy snapped hard!

I go 5 times a week weights as well as cardio and pt sessions for work

Supplements I use are mutant mass, crex12,phd bcaa's, blox saa's, 1mr and I eat 6 small meals a day on top I'm getting good results after 2 months gone from 75kg up to 84kg in 6 weeks and massively improved my strength although I've only just started to put size on I don't have much fat either

An example of my strength gain is at the start I squatted 50kg for 6 reps I now do 135kg at 6 reps
    And dumbbell press (incline) I've gone from 15 kg up to 35kgs just 2 examples

The main thing that's helped me is my diet massively
    My mile and a half run has gone from
    9.48 minutesto 8.36 minutes in that time so massive improvements all round and I'm not naturally fit

6. Papercutout

Papercutout Active Member

Why do you need shoulder strength to support squats? The bar should be balanced on your back/shoulders/near top of spine. I've put 120kg's on my shoulders, and I only weigh 60kg's. And that's without a pad. If you use a pad, man up and put up with a small bruise for a week and you'll never look back.

But if you're still not comfortable, then squat jumps. You can do them straight - squat, jump, land in squat, repeat immediately, or you could hold a small dumbell (like, 5kg's) in each hand and jump onto a bench, then down, and back up...etc. The weight makes a BIG difference. It'll strengthen your legs and work you for explosive movements.

7. milez

milez Active Member

This week me and my training buddy are going to do 1 rep max.

Chest today.

Flat bench:
    Warm up: 60kg 6 reps
    80kg 6 reps
    100kg 4 reps
    110kg 2 reps
    120kg 1 rep all me 1 rep fair bit of a spot.

Then done 80kg for 12reps :)

Picking up the bar when it was on 80 after doing 120 felt soooo light and easy it was unreal lol

Ive never been above 100kg before so i was fucking buzzing.

Want to get 100kg 1 rep on shoulder press on smith machine and 1 rep on deadlift at 180 but will see lol

#227 milez, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  8. Papercutout

That's really good, you should be very happy...!

...but you might have hit 125kg's or maybe even more if you'd dropped the 80kg reps, dropped 100kg to 1 rep, 110kg to 1 rep, 120kg to 1 rep etc. Afterall, you were trying to hit your 1 rep max, you don't need to build up especially gradually, you just need to make sure your body can cope with the weight, while keeping good form.

9. milez

milez Active Member

Tbh mate i was suprised/shocked that 100kg was pretty easy as i didnt feel on it straight away. Then i was buzzing when i done 1 rep at 110 as it was the most i have ever done i thought id try another rep to make sure it wasnt a fluke lol. Same with 120 really.

Dont think i have got a 125 in me just yet as 120 was a proper fucking struggle. My face was nearly as bright as my fucking hair when i finished lol.

Its always a contest between me and my mate only problem is that we can both lift the same but the fucker is 20-25kg lighter than me lol. I need to loose some limbs lol

10. hug - lo

hug - lo Active Member

This was part of todays fun!...

[​IMG]

Seeing some of the weights people are shifting does seriously make me think im doing it all very wrong!!!

11. mazdachris

So, as this 'fitness' thread has become a 'gym bumming' thread, I thought I'd bring it a bit back on topic and ask if anyone does any actual sports of recreational outdoor exercise?

I cycle about three or four times a week, usually to work and back. Living in Milton Keynes means I don't cycle on the road but use the redways instead, which suits me much better. I also run twice a week in my lunch breaks.

Used to play tennis but I had a bit of a falling out with my tennis partner so I've not played in a couple of years. Might try and pick it up again soon though.

12. Papercutout

I cycle, a min of about 40 miles a week atm. That is to work/back too. I want to take up climbing again after I get back from France, once cars etc are sorted out (having lots of issues atm).

13. hug - lo

hug - lo Active Member

Sorry chris, Didn't realise that gym based goings on aren't classed as fitness!

Other than the apparent non-exercise based gym work I climb here: thetowerclimbingcentre.co.uk
    Theres a brand new centre opened in Leicester as part of DMU Uni with what looks to be a decent wall in it so i'll be down there as long as i can get in! (being of non student orientation)

Snowboard 1 - 2 times a week and probably cycle 20 miles a week too! The cycling part is actually riding dirt on bmx but it's still a friggin work out!!!

14. saihaynes

saihaynes Member

I tend to favour just bar work and bodyweight these days much more exciting workout than just hitting the weights!

3 times a week mixed in with some mountain biking, MMA and gymnastics :-D

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk

15. mazdachris

Physical strength and muscle mass are obviously elements of fitness, but it's not the be-all and end-all, and this thread has become a total willy waving contest. When I go to the gym I see all these guys just doing the free weights, all with muscles like Lou Ferigno, strutting around all full of attitude (and in a lot of cases steroids) and yet they do bugger all cardio. Look at the Olympics, and consider which athletes need the highest levels of fitness - the endurance athletes doing marathons, triathlons, etc. And none of them have massive muscles. Too much muscle mass would actually hinder their performance rather than help it. I'd love to find out how 'fit' all these muscle lovers really are. I suspect in most cases their cardio fitness is absolutely useless.

I'm not saying that there's no place for building muscle, I'm just saying that this thread had become utterly incomprehensible and inpenetrable for people who just do some exercise to keep fit, or those who do regular sports, because it's 12 pages of people comparing how much weight they can lift up, and the best ways to lift that weight up.

16. random tim

random tim Member

I've started out on a bit of a health drive recently. Been going cycling a couple of nights a week after work doing between 5 and 10 miles at a time with a lot of nasty hills round where i live. Bought a new bike yesterday, gone for a 29er for best of both on the road and still being able to hit up trails when i get 5 mins and some friends to go with lol. Started swimming again too. A new proper Olympic pool opened up in Corby and its just as easy to get to as Market Harborough. Been a few times now doing 750/1000m and staying for bout half hour at a time. Just taking things as them come with it all for now but want to try and get a bit more serious and maybe start gym for a few weights and things in a couple of months once i know where im working next.

17. markturbo

markturbo Tarmac scrapper

^^ What he said :)

There is no difference between people comparing weight lifted, to yourself comparing distance riden, pretty one minded to try implie that there is. I think we all see people like that at the gym, but because its weights where talking about on here doesn't mean we're on of them :) Just because someones end goal is different to your own (i.e some people wanna get strong/big/explosive, others want endurance/weight loss/ rippedness) doesn't make there goal lesser than your own.

You saying lets see how fit these muscle lovers are, is like them saying to you, 'hey, you do exercise lets see if you can lift loads of weight lol'

Annnnnnnnnnnnywho lets not argue about it, as lets face it, its just the fucking internet ha ha :wack:

There are lots of people on here comparing cardio/outdoor sports, but obviously more people are doing the gymie bit so theres bound to be more chat in that area, if you want more cardio chat, then crack on, I'm here to gain experience from people so lets hear about it, instead of bitching about it :)

Mark :smokin:

18. SupraKing

SupraKing Member

Gonna start going back to gym next two week. My aim cut my weight down to 12 stone, Fitness and build ripping muscle.

19. milez

milez Active Member

i admit i really need to do cardio but i hate it lol. Running bores the shit out off me lol. Need to get back into playing cricket and tennis again though but its trying to find time.

Back tonight. Carried on with 1 or 2 rep max. Done 2 reps at 160kg. First rep decentish form, Second rep crap form but just powered through it. Aim is 200 on deadlift.

20. CBRParr

CBRParr Active Member

Anyone else starting Kris Gethin's 4 week DTP trainer? Its pretty intense, ive just done the third day chest and back and stumbled home from the gym afterwards, felt like I was going to pass out. I did legs monday and they still hurt now, im expecting the same from chest. If you want to have a look, its on bodybuilding.com

Also, Ive just got some N.O. Explode 2.0. I have avoided pre-workout till now as ive thought of it like cheating, however I have plateaued and need a boost so after a friend recomended it..I thought id give it a try. If you shop around its under £30 for 50 servings which is cheap imo. first time ive used it today and my god it works..however I was training so hard that people did start looking at me as if I was mental..