BDC licensing day - Lydden Hill - Saturday November 3rd

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by BDC, Sep 14, 2012.

1. MrNick

MrNick I love Ibiza!

i played operation once, you dont see me kicking open surgery theatre doors asking the doctor to let me have a go with his scalpel

there goes the funny bone ......as he slams his elbow on the roll cages homemade door bar less padding ...ouch

2. xborninthefightx

xborninthefightx JZX BOSS

I think it does have a lot to do with nerves and pressure. Cause you are put on the spot when doing the judged runs. Ive drifted Lydden Hill a few good times before and really rarely spin out or get those corners wrong. But when I done the judged runs I couldnt keep it all together, entering too early and getting the some of the lines wrong.
    And straight after the judged runs and it was open to just drift I nailed all the corners no problem and also really pushed myself then I have had done before.
    Also the morning the wet mixed in with the dry on some spots wasnt easy and really throws you off at times.
    But yeah, there was some which couldnt really even hold a single drift and just griped most of it.

3. halesy

halesy Member

I had great day yesterday I was in white s14 red bonnet. Learnt so much, jumped abit in the deep end first time drifting lydden but put in two solid runs for judged runs I felt. no license but now I see where the level is I know I need to push harder which I found out I could in free practice after. Need a new gear box now though. But still managed to drive my car 180 miles there drift all day and drive 180 miles home. Happy days.
    If anyone was there and has any feedback on my driving let us know

4. haza88

haza88 Active Member

CHHILLLLL THHEEE FUUUCCCKKK OUT PEOPLE!!! get off your high horses

i no people that went to do it seriously for a licence and i no people that went purely for shits n giggles, cos its an awesome!! track

stop all this winging n get yaselfs down to the weekender n we can all have some,,,,,, fun! after all thats what this sport is really about

cheers to all the people involved in putting the day together

#184 haza88, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  5. TheUrbanTiger

TheUrbanTiger Nickbradydrift.com

I need to say a MASSIVE MASSIVE thank you to Stiggy aka the STIGATRON :) Who kindly let me borrow the mighty starlet to do the day in. My car blew its diff at 7:30pm the night before and Stig jumped to my rescue!

I was both excited and proper nervous as the mighty's reputation of being super hard to drive proceeded it! The first time I sat in the car was the morning of licensing day! And boy was the reputation right, this car is super hard to drive! I couldn't really reach the pedals, the clutch is like a button, no power steering and totally different from an R33!! It is absolute testament to the skill of Stiggy as a driver to drive it the way he does!

So after morning practice where I couldn't even manage to link three corners, something clicked and I managed to put it together for the judged runs and I went from pretty much screaming "what the fuck am I doing here" to screaming "woo hoos" and geting my semi pro licence!

What a day, although the mighty is the most difficult car that I have ever driven, it is also the most rewarding, and it got me a BDC licence that I would never of got without it and my good buddy, hero, mentor, saviour, and gay lover stiggy!!! ;)

Stiggy you the man bud! :) :thumbs:

Also thanks to malcs for the words of encouragement when I was shitting myself on the line and all the guys and gals from BDC and all the marshalls who made the day possible!

6. Haynesey

Haynesey Active Member

I was there yesterday (in the rattle canned black/white 14a) Didn't know whether to go as had been having problems with my car the weekend before at Pembrey, but as I'd paid and booked the weekend off work I thouight fuck it....bodged the car up and went!

Had loads of car problems throughout the day......had a fucked actuator anyway so was pulling bugger all boost and had absolutley wank all power!! Had some problems in the morning practice with a split in my wheel, and a bolt ripping through my front tyre and that, meaning I had possibly 1 successful practice run on my first time at Lydden. Didnt know whether to bother going for the licencing cos I didnt want to look like an unskilled tit, but after persuasion from my mates who had got up at 2:30 am to come and watch I thought there is absolutley no point being a spoil sport, I might as well give it my best and at least try!!

First run, my intercooler pipe came off so that fucked that straight away......second run I managed to keep the car together but due to little practice, put in a very edgy run.....was all set to go for it on my third run and my actuator came off half way through, mid drift, so I lost any potential power!

But for people standing on the side watching its sometimes impossible to tell if a driver is having problems or just not as skilled etc as some. There is still no need to stand on your high horse saying there are a load of shit drivers there who shouldn't have been as I bet I was one of those yesterday. Give me one of those flash cars there (when they werent spinning or in the gravel) and I bet I would of stood a good chance of getting somewhere (to be honest, a car that would boost slightly would of done) -not saying that im the next paul smith but sure I could have put in some consistent runs, but we all have to start somewhere!

We managed to bodge the car together for a few runs in open practice afterwards and I had an ace time, just a shame it was too late in the day to count!! And for me, I was there on a serious attempt for a licence as I think most were but it was not the be all and end all, and when I knew the car was playing up I knew it was probably game over but still went out because I was having FUN and thats what it is all about for me......If you cant have fun whats the point!!

#186 Haynesey, Nov 4, 2012
  7. Tazman922

Tazman922 New Member

I agree with the above i took the burgundy e46 the plain boring dirty one as didnt even have time to wash it. I booked myself in for the licensing day a) to challenge myself and have my standard accessed by more experienced drifters b) to experience the track as never been to Lydden c) test the car as it was only its second outing after complete build.

1st day out was at snetterton on the 21st october. which showed power issues and handling problems but a good overall day. I then spent the next two weeks finishing off modifications and chasing the engine faults that were causing me to lose power under full load flat out. having changed many parts it was found to be fuel pressure regulator which i plumbed in an inline one the morning of Lydden.
    1st practice showed that steering geometry wasnt working out combined with losing 1 and a half cylinders meant 1st practice was over.
    After sourcing the cause of the loss of spark on two cylinders and changing my steering setup went onto practice two which was not so bad but changeable track grip levels were challenging but workable but i developed a gearbox fault which was preventing me from third gear. This coupled with lots of gravel trap action from others meant only a few practice runs.
    onto the bdc runs after speaking with the staff and mentioning my problem they advised to go for it in second which i did two consistent 1st and second corner then mangy but ran out of steam for the hill. The third run the original fuel pressure reg on the fuel rail instead of jamming open decided to free itself and jam shut causing over pressure and not letting throttle off messed up the third run.
    In the open practice after some tinkering managed to get a third gear and whilst drifting if i turned off fuel pump as i selected second gear could go through the hairpin flick back on mangy and then smash it into third. My day complete it was a good day i challenged myself tested the car and accomplished Lydden ok i may not have been repping up in a skyline or 200sx but i achieved all that i needed to do and after speaking with the judges my lines and entries were consistent and if i had nailed third gear could have gained a licence which i would not have achieved sat at home. As stated before drifting is fun in whatever level and competition thanks to all at BDC and Lydden for putting on the event and for all other drivers who were there was a good day see you again soon

8. the stig

the stig Active Member

more than welcome fella.
    what can i say to jump in the mighty and worse still in the wet!! fair play for sticking with it and even more so for LISTENING!
    shame so many others clearly DIDNT LISTEN IN THE BRIEFING as what the fuk was some of them lines being run!!!!!!!

and before you all say iwas there for fun...you were there to be judged,if you cant deal with constructive critisium best you find another sport,AGAIN flags flags FUCKING FLAGS! RED DOSE NOT MEAN GO FLAT !!

well done to ALL that got there licences!
    and too all the PRICKS that only cheered when nick spun in the mighty cos you thought it was me.........
    HAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAA HAA YOU BUNCH OF MUGS!!

9. Joe-sef

Joe-sef -Broseph-

I remember starting out, one thing I always remember was its not just a test of you as a driver, but of your car preparation and reliability. This is something I have always remembered, I went for my licence at llandow in like 2009/2010. I was not ready and the car was not ready, so I went away, went to every practice day I could afford, developed the car as much as I could, came back 2 years later after having gained experience in comps, qualifying pressure, and how to deal with nerves. Went to a licence weekend got a semi pro. Even if some of you did shit. You now know, how well prepared you have to be, how well your car has to be. If your struggling with the car develop it. If your struggling with nerves get to
    Some of the odc rounds with judged runs it will help you get used to and take the edge of your nerves. Once you have come back and be boss, and I guarantee you will enjoy it a whole lot more.

10. reeperR32

reeperR32 Drift-Street-Imports

Pretty sound advice this For anyone going for a license ^^^^

11. Tazman922

Tazman922 New Member

thanks for the advice on line when i finally ironed out some of the problems i was having with the car and managed to get to where i wanted in open practice hitting that white line in the middle of the car takes you exactly where you said it would top man thanks again and nick drove well considering the nature of the mighty and being his first time in it

12. Chimp

Chimp Member

13. Haynesey

Haynesey Active Member

Agreed, ODC will get you used to the pressue associated with doing comps....sound advice.
    As for car prep.....for me the car is always at the garage being worked on and tinkered with in-between rounds, but it's always those last minute bastard things that break when you get there that seem to mess the day up!

14. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

My car is a complete new build.. Using secondhand everything pretty much.. Didn't have a problem all day.. Do things properly and you only do them once.

15. Chimp

Chimp Member

Lots of pictures up now guys

#195 Chimp, Nov 4, 2012
  16. scottyj

scottyj Active Member

Totally agree with the nerves thing, I took the day seriously and was really out to gain a licence as competing is something i really want to try. I went to lydden for the first time last month and felt reasonably comfy with the car. I would like to think that I'm at a level to attempt to gain a licence.

However yesterday, i drove poorly. i struggled to get the car how i wanted, and struggled to find a rhythm. My car is pretty battered but its mainly cosmetics, and if i do go into competition i will give it a make over, same with the fact im lacking power, I was hoping to drive round this as ive spent every penny this year on suspension and geo. As i felt that was more important, but more power is in the pipe line.

I tried hard to follow the line given in the briefing, and really enjoyed the day. I felt it was a massive learning curve, and will be at the next one.

I dont know if your comments included me jack, but i thought id type up some of my thoughts. Im more than open to criticism, as id much prefer to be told im shit, than have people tell me im good, when im not lol.

I think the day was ran well and did give a good eye opener to competition format and pressure, and i came away knowing full well i didn't deserve a licence yesterday. I'm happy with that though, as paul and few other drivers have given me plenty of feed back and i can go away and know ive learnt a lot.

I was in the bn kitted 4-door 32 btw, with grey fibreglass wings....

17. dan.gti

dan.gti Member

Had loads of fun yesterday! Was getting slightly annoyed in second practice when every other car was going in the gravel, until it was my go!! The track was patchy, making it hard to judge the last corner! (little excuse for you guys)

Im now looking forward to 2013!! It's going to be a great year!

Dan (white Volvo)

18. aston_87

aston_87 Member

I had a terrible day from start to finish, car had major issues hat only developed on the day, after half a run, meaning I couldn't rev past 4-5k on the rb20.

I was seriously hoping for a licence but my car didn't give me a chance to show what I could actually achieve.

Just wanted to say thanks to Blackett aswell for sorting a clutch out.

19. Ton-Kin

Ton-Kin BDC Pro Driver

you were doing really well dude! loved it

20. dan.gti

dan.gti Member

Cheers mate! Would of loved an extra 50hp as 160 makes ya work hard!!