Disused airfields with access?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by lewdludelover, Nov 28, 2012.

1. lewdludelover

lewdludelover Member

Just wondering if anyone might have done a list or map of open access airfields in the UK?

I used to go on to one locally years ago learning to drive, flying kites etc etc but someone decided to build houses on it so thats no longer an option. You could just drive in by a number of paths and roads and it was just winderness with tarmac.

I'm not talking about breaking in anywhere for a sly skid and getting out before anyone notices. Just areas of disused land with access, like this place in gloucester used to be.

Im sure this is a noob question but its one i need answering as it could save me a lot in trespass charges :thumbs:
    If not I will begin looking around on google maps :wack:

#1 lewdludelover, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  2. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Trust me, it won't happen. Nowhere is open as if there was Pikeys would be on it living there. Anywhere where they aren't people own and won't be happy for you to just rock up and pull a skid.

Where in Glos do you mean? Brockworth? Even before the houses it was years since anywhere useable was accessable by car? Fuck, I got a car stuck once trying to get to a bit that was.

3. lewdludelover

lewdludelover Member

yeah that was it. there was a large area up by crickly as well but its barriered now.
    I know its a damn long shot with the way the nation seems to have gone but worth a try.

The pikies are a consideration i had not considered. You just cant get any fun going without cash first it seems.

cheers for reply.

4. R32 GTR

R32 GTR Active Member

Why not just pay to attend a drift day like most normal people do?

5. mint

mint touch my fruit

Crail is an old airfield, its cheap and mega fun. :) but u cant just 'wonder in'.

6. lewdludelover

lewdludelover Member

For sure but weekends can be a problem for me. It just seemes 'when i was a lad' we had available spaces to use.

Just wondered if they had all been gobbled up for housing and trading estates or if there were some open common areas left? There is plenty of common land around here but none of it is concrete anymore. Plenty of kite flying but little drifting practice.

7. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Drift days are held 7 days a week, less on weekends than in the week. There's one on right now at SantaPod in fact.

Because he's from Gloucester, and around here there are loads of drift cars and Facebook pretend street drift heroes, but nobody ever does drift days.

8. lewdludelover

lewdludelover Member

@mint: thats what I thought. The wandering in has been taken over by 'progress' and now costs money.

crail is only 7 hours away, lol.. Throckmorton airfield used to be a 'wander onto' but I think thats chargable and organised now. I know a few guys why learned to drive up on throckmorton. Staverton used to have a large disused area that was open but its got hangers on it now.

9. lewdludelover

lewdludelover Member

exactly. Im not bothered with owning a tool if i cant use it.

10. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

None of the local ones use theirs either, just pretend to as its 'cool'

Just do a drift day if you want to drift, loads within 1.5-2hrs of Glos.

11. lewdludelover

lewdludelover Member

If i can find somewhere local i will organise. thats fine. Im used to that.

But I will deffo call a few places and see what terms they would have for practice. I wont just rag it round roundabouts to learn and so far the closest days I have seen advertised are a 3 hour round trip.

12. lewdludelover

lewdludelover Member

Cheers for the posts. If i find somewhere i will be sure to update.

13. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

doublepostfuckup

#13 Stavros, Nov 28, 2012
  14. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Personally I wouldn't be ringing random places up asking, that's what gives drifting the shitty pikey name it already has, I'd leave it to the people with experience of this scene. it's VERY hard to get a day organised these days, convincing the owners it's a good idea, insurance, and doing a good enough job of it they want you back.

A lot of places are now ruined (ie out of bounds) for drifting for ever thanks to badly organised approaches/days.

And unless it's a miracle, I doubt you know anywhere decent that hasn't been tried.

Throckmorton is already on the cards, we're going to a trial day there in a couple of weeks.

3hr round trip is 1.5hr each way, which is nothing. So that's within the range from Glos of, SantaPod, Birmingham Wheels, Buxton, Pembrey, Llandow, Westonzoyland, and TBH Smeatharpe too really.

Trust me mate, a 1.5hr trip each way for a days proper drifting is way better than 30min each way to spaz around on a piece of random concrete somewhere! Fuck, a 3hr each way trip to somewhere proper beats a 30min trip somewhere shit, see the recent Anglesey drift day for that...

15. lewdludelover

lewdludelover Member

I bow to better knowledge. I know a couple of guys through industrial estates to ask rather than yellow paging it but I get your point.

I can also see a lot of tools have ruined what could have otherwise been good practice areas.

I will continue my research. Myself and a friend on LG.co.uk were scratching heads wondering what the south west had to offer but it seems a bit of travel is needed.

16. mint

mint touch my fruit

Im 6 hours EACH WAY to Teesside! I made that drive 3 times this year for not much seat time.
    Crail is like 2 hours each way or something.. Please dont complain about a 3 hour round trip, Id fucking KILL to be so close to places.. and you aint even using them.. Fuck sake.

17. lewdludelover

lewdludelover Member

I get your point.

Its all been tied up or ruined and a bit of travel and spendies never hurt anyone.

Its a good point well made.

18. lewdludelover

lewdludelover Member

@minty: not complaining buddy just asking if there are any defined maps of places to go.

If not of open common areas what about of known 'drift friendly' places and the days/organisers known to have an understanding with them?

I cant see such a thing on the forum so thought I would ask.

19. mint

mint touch my fruit

I dont think it'll happen :( good luck tho.

20. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Anyone else with a car would consider 1.5hr drive local, fuck, Brum wheels is under an hour away, but if you want any more info...

Staverton- Ripped off with a fake 'charity' track day. Amazing luck/blag getting that 1off, but never again.
    Kemble- Similar to above, but they got a few goes there. None drift really.
    Mitchenhampton- Probably well pissed off with people trying to break in to there at night and drive around by now. Don't look much good for drifting to me anyhow.
    Throckmorton- Trial day in just over a week, if that doesn't go tits up then there's your local day, despite Brum Wheels being hardly any further.

As much as I'd love somewhere good and local, I can't think of anywhere that hasn't been tried that is remotely any good.

Please fire away (by PM if want) any other suggestions and I can tell you if they've been tried or whatever other info I know on em.

#20 Stavros, Nov 28, 2012