CA18DET preservation society

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by dori_wey, Nov 11, 2012.

1. lezbrucelee

lezbrucelee Southwall Smokers

any ideas on the spec of that ca monster in the video?

Also wondering what boost people are running, I've got forged bottom end horsham stage 2 ecu on t28 turbo, but standard head. At present i'm only running 0.8 bar as not too sure on the limits i can get away with

#101 lezbrucelee, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  2. SteveC200

SteveC200 Used to drift, now I don't.

You should be ok with 1.2bar but get it checked on a RR for det etc. The engine can take more though, its the chip, turbo and injectors that are holding it back. I run a 2871R, 660cc injectors, Z32 AFM at 1.6bar.

3. kellman

kellman Member

I've got pauter x beam rods, Wiesco pistons with a trust head gasket, uprated valves and a gt2871r on low it runs 16psi and on hi it runs 22psi.

And as above I have z32 afm, nizmo 555 injectors, Horsham chip and an uprated fuel pump. Other supporting mods are arp bolts, ACL bearings, tomei cams.

#103 kellman, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  4. driftking27

driftking27 Member

Guyz plz verry urgent answer, was the NA ca18de ever offered on the 200sx ?? Because all i saw abt this is that na ca18 was not even offered on any sx, jst the 180sx p/s13, and all 200sx came with ca18det, sr20de, sr20det, is that correct or did i say anything wrong? Thx for ur time

5. dustyjake

dustyjake Member

Afaik the 200 only ever had the ca18, 180 imports had the ca and Sr20de(t) and then there's the 240 that comes with a ke24

6. dustyjake

dustyjake Member

Didn't the bluebird have an na ca?

7. driftking27

driftking27 Member

Yea bluebird i guess also, but my question isnt that, my wuestion is that if nissan ever produced a nissan 200sx s13 european specs offering the ca18de (NA) ???

8. dustyjake

dustyjake Member

Never seen or heard of it so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say no

9. SteveC200

All euro spec S13/200sx are CA18DET powered. JDM market S13s are available with the CA18DE though.

10. dori_wey

dori_wey Member

right CA's had a bit of a heart attack had a drift day Saturday, elbow gasket needs doing again but im guna do the lot and replace the studs, also my catch can set up let me down abit it was a little overfilled but after a run the catch can was full up spraying oil down the side of the car, pcv valve is blocked inlet and exhaust connected and to catch can and vented to atmosphere, im guna replace the pipeing but any other ideas ?

11. 93s13nick

93s13nick Member

I had a similar problem on a golf Mk2 track car once where the catch can would fill up from the block breather, it seemed to happen when the oil got extremely hot, fitted a cooler and better oil and it never happened again, doubt thats too much help as Im sure your engine was already built with these things.

Love the CA love in this thread, mine is stage 2, completely standard block and head with 122k on it, never even had the shells done and its had some bad times when I had overboosting issues.

12. dori_wey

dori_wey Member

yea im guna get an oil cooler, rework my catch can setup, and check all the breathers and do any necessary cleaning, and do my cam cover clean them out, hopefully shell be loveing life again

13. SteveC200

Thats pretty much all you can do. Is the shitty pipe under the plenum clean? You could also try using two catch cans, one for each cam cover so it'll breathe easier.

14. dori_wey

dori_wey Member

is my set up ok as it is was guna clean the rocker covers and that pipe and get some new 16mm hoses to make a better breather at the top, is it quite common ? i was hoping you would post back to this haha

15. dori_wey

dori_wey Member

and getting a oil cooler also as i was seeing 120

16. 200sx_

200sx_ PS13 x TD Power

Liam, get a cooler with an inline thermo. If not you will struggle to get up to temp on normal driving

17. SteveC200

Yeah, your set up sounds ok but like I say you could ease the breathing a bit if its getting to be a problem. Before I sorted mine Ive had my engines spew oil out loads of times, basically when theres sustained high revs.

18. dori_wey

dori_wey Member

yea im guna ease it redo it and clean it all up and see what its like with a oil cooler too hopefully she'll be fine again then, silly question but when fitting oil cooler what do you do about filling it up fill it as normal run it up to temp to fill cooler then refill?

19. dustyjake

dustyjake Member

Just a quickie, can you recycle the s13 diff oil cooler and use it for engine oil?

20. lezbrucelee

lezbrucelee Southwall Smokers

while we're on talking about breathers mine spat the exhaust side one out of the cam cover whilst skidding the other month and for the life of me have no idea why, any thoughts? I run my catch can off this side if that any help,

It was also missing slightly after i'd left it standing for half hour, 2mins off running and it was all fine again, went to start it yesterday and no miss fire at all. With the miss i'm think maybe a valve guide or oil seal gone allowing the oil into the cylinder this only happens whilst the engine is hot and not running, again any thoughts?