CA18DET preservation society

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by dori_wey, Nov 11, 2012.

1. lezbrucelee

lezbrucelee Southwall Smokers

dodgy drawing as promised

I've missed a part of the drawing off, didnt realise till i looked at the car today, theres an another pipe that comes off the catch can that returns to the sump which i've teed into the turbo oil drain

[​IMG]

dont know why its on its side though and couldnt rotate it on photobucket

#141 lezbrucelee, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  2. 35touring

35touring Member

Hey mate what did u do with the old breather pipe that went from the inlet to the exhaust side at the back!!!!

3. 35touring

35touring Member

Sorry just see the picture drawn :) I no what to do now

4. SteveC200

SteveC200 Used to drift, now I don't.

Apart from adding the catch can and venting to atmos I dont see how thats much of an improvement over standard. Its not making the engine breathe easier.

5. lezbrucelee

can you explain in more depth what you mean pls, I'm no engine builder but everyone i spoke to before doing it advised this way was best (most are ford boys). Not trying to say ur wrong, just interested to learn more as always:thumbs:

6. dustyjake

dustyjake Member

The way Steve drew basically showed that by not linking the breathers it effectively allows the engine to breathe twice the amount as with both sharing the same hose

7. dori_wey

dori_wey Member

yea i agree i see many setups just wanna no whats best, and more to the point why my filled the catch can is there a reason for this or common or what ?

8. dustyjake

dustyjake Member

Also could this not be run without a catch can and just dump the oil drops out the bottom of the bay?

9. Minkjedi

Minkjedi Member

Some very useful info on here guys as I have just got my first CA.

TBF I have had 2 SR's and only had trouble with them so hopefully this CA will be a nice change.

10. Burger93

Burger93 Member

Am sure this will be very helpful when I come to checking over mine:)

11. SteveC200

Yes but I hope you dislike motor bikers because they are going to fucking hate you when youve dumped oil all over the road or track.

12. dustyjake

dustyjake Member

Very very fair point I never thought of that, id rather not have that on my concience

13. SteveC200

Sustained high revs, particularly in a probably worn turbo engine causes crank case pressures to build up. This pressure is relieved by the breathers. If the breathers are restrictive so the pressure cant be released it prevents the oil that has been pumped up into the head from draining back into the sump, so stays up in the head, eventually spewing out through the breather pipes filling your catch can. Of course this then means you're losing oil from the sump, hello big ends.:) Hope that makes sense.

14. dori_wey

dori_wey Member

worn turbo engine oh the stress those words cause hah it was overfilled about the amount it kicked out tbh so im not overly stressed and my catch can set up however apparently ok it was made out of the original piping bit of a spaghetti setup and do you need to have a filter on the catch can drain thing at the bottom of the car bit ? by worn engine do you mean its generally old or something internal could of caused it, my thread and now im having some minor stress yet it still pulls like a rocket few mates have big power cars and have complemented me and my friend with a ca saying there very surprisingly powerful haha go CA

so in a nutsell less restrictive breathers will hopefully solve this issue, its a well maintained engine, not sure on status inside, this weird metal bendy pipe under inlet to block is it achievable to clean well engine still in car ?

#154 dori_wey, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  15. lezbrucelee

yer makes sense, so if i was to have a T to atmosphere in the crank case breather ontop of what i've already got it would allow pressure to release easier or will it just make a big mess everywhere? Am i just over thinking this????? should just do what you've done?
    My bottom end is brand new so i'd hope that its not worn already. or i'll:cry::cry:

16. 200sx_

200sx_ PS13 x TD Power

Just general age of then engine. These are knocking on 20 years old now and running almost twice the standard power. I'd imagine it'd breathe better without a small filter?

17. dori_wey

dori_wey Member

who knows here with filter ? is it necessary or just breather down the bottom open ended pipe

18. dori_wey

dori_wey Member

the crank case breather is the metal wierd shaped jobber correct ?

19. 200sx_

200sx_ PS13 x TD Power

I wouldn't have an open ended pipe, you will chuck oil everywhere and like Steve said, on the road and track. If I were you just have one pipe going to a catch can, and look into a better setup and clean everything out.

20. dori_wey

dori_wey Member

it has to be open either a filter jobber or open pipe to breath and has to be directed some were cause if it does spit some oil like mine did it was worryingly near the turbo