BMW 328i sport vanos problems? anyone know about vanos??

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by kingj, Jan 13, 2013.

1. kingj

kingj sliding it in

My brothers 328i sport was idling roughly and won't rev over 2.5k so he took it to go on a diagnostic machine at a mates garage and its thrown up a fault code for mechanical vanos failure:(

They reckon the only solution is a new vanos at a cost of around a grand, obviously this is half the value of the car:wack:

Can you just take the damaged one off and replace with a good used one? if so how hard is this to do? or is it easier to get a rebuild kit of ebay for a couple of hundred quid and rebuild the broken one?

I know fuck all about bmw engines so any help/advice etc welcome:D thanks in advance fella's:thumbs:

2. superclarkey

superclarkey DORITECH MOTORSPORT

brand new one from BMW isnt' £1k, thats how much a M3 one is.. I bought one before for 328 and it was around £300 new.

3. spaniel

spaniel bigballs small brain

What is the vanos all about? I keep hearing about it but dont know what it is.

4. littleT_23

littleT_23 Member

The vanos adjusts the timing while your driving. That's what I thought it did.

You can buy vanos service kits which is the new seals for £30 on eBay from the states. Apparently a big job to do. But never done just what people say on other forums.

5. caged

caged Drift Gibbon

it adjusts the cam (or cams) timing. variable valve timing by another name

6. bell

bell Without patience

7. superclarkey

superclarkey DORITECH MOTORSPORT

Not the same as V-tech at all, don't confuse him.

Its the same as the Nissan system vvt, all it does is change the position of the cam "as a whole" at different load/RPM, this helps get optical performance through out the rev range.

V-tech changes lift and duration so don't get them confused.

8. kingj

kingj sliding it in

Thanks fella's I'm looking into it for him now:)

Cheers for the mr vanos link Bell but after seeing some of the prices he charges I think we will be fitting it ourselves!! there seems to be a few companies who sell rebuild kits:) and some comprehensive how to guides on the net.

Superclarkey thankyou very much too bud :thumbs: