The Sergeant

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by SLAMbert, Feb 3, 2010.

1. sparkysparks

sparkysparks Member

Ive been wanting to have a car in this colour for years, i got half way through painting the last car then sold it.
    Coolest supra man

2. m.d.

m.d. Active Member

i cant believe ive not seen this before, hats off. really looks good this one.

i would suggest that you need to turn the wire feed up on your mig for the cage as you have a fair bit of undercutting there, you want to see the weld bulge above the surface of the tube but not sit on top. more amps and more wire :)

3. Chunky Nugget

Chunky Nugget honkeytits!!

Ah, cool, good ideas. Nearly bought an N/A one of these the other day because of yours ,ha ha.

Keep the updates coming dude.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, cool, good ideas. Nearly bought an N/A one of these the other day because of yours ,ha ha.

Keep the updates coming dude.

4. SLAMbert

SLAMbert Member

Its tig welded mate, but cheers for the advice, much appreciated!

The welds all need to be tarted up really, which ill get round to once i install the harness and front bars!

5. Supra Beau

Supra Beau Member

You need to get this car to lydden on the 16 feb I'll be tackin my 2j mk3 and it'll be nice too se two out at the same time.

6. shifty biscuits

shifty biscuits Active Member

i had also noticed the welds look a bit stingy, wack a load more wire in there to make it good n strong. otherwise nice job, the cage looks good. love the colour choice too, was a bit unsure about the gold but it works well, get the shuts and underside of the bonnet touched in an it'll be perfect.

7. shifty biscuits

shifty biscuits Active Member

oh yeah and i bought the exact same fans as you did, they suck (pun not intended). in the end i went to the scrap yard and got the 2 speed fans and shroud of a subaru legacy i think it was, the shroud is steel so easy to adapt to fit, wire up both the live wires to get it sucking through full speed, they really pull shit loads of air, amazing compared to the ebay ones. then you can safely bin the viscous if you desire.

8. SLAMbert

SLAMbert Member

Id love to mate but there's no way ill be skilled enough for lydden yet, maybe in a few months if i get as much practise time in as im planning!

9. SLAMbert

SLAMbert Member

Cheers dude, yeh i intend to go other the lot of them again, haha yep they do, i ended up just trimming the viscous down to be a little more discrete and the electric one on the front to work when i need a little extra.

Ill keep a eye out for one though next time im at a scrappy, cheers chap!

10. m.d.

m.d. Active Member

i did wonder if that was tig TBH but ive not done a huge amount of it lately, in that case as said get some more amps and plenty more filler rod in there. it looks more like you have fused it at the moment.

as for the fan issue, just keep the viscous if you can, they are better than 99% of the electric ones, either that or get an electric one from a car rather than ebay, the OEM fans generally blow a shit load more air and a lot quieter than the ebay shite ones

11. SLAMbert

SLAMbert Member

So, the Supras about ready to come back onto the road.

As from my previous post i was experimenting with the steering, to see how much lock i could get from a few basic modifications to the hubs.

The lock started out like this, completely standard.

[​IMG]

(You're going to notice the pictures are not all of the same side or wheel, sorry but fuck it)

I then tried to machine the flat edge of the ball joint back 10'mm so i could keep the full length of the thread in the rack without sporting a spacer.

This didn't work out well as i got about half way in and the thread parted off from the ball joint, so i went for the old fashioned method and made some rack spacers out of stainless.

[​IMG]

While working, they still didn't give me a great deal more lock from standard so thats when i decided to mod the hubs.

After drilling i fitted new bearings and gave them a quick paint and they were ready.

[​IMG]

After they were fitted on the car i gave the steering a rough tracking (got to get this done properly soon) and tested for clearance.

[​IMG]

White a 35mm spacer on a et40 wheel they worked great, about 5 mm clearance from the lower wishbone.

[​IMG]

So now, all that remains are the little things and it should be back on the road at the end of this week.

Hopefully.

#51 SLAMbert, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  12. SLAMbert

SLAMbert Member

[​IMG]

So, the cars been back on the road for the past couple of months.

In that time i had numerous coolant leaks, which sucked, but once they were sourced and sorted then all was well.

I lost motivation to do any work to the car, and decided to sell it. But before i put it up for sale i decided to have one day at norfolk arena to see if my steering lock adaptations had worked.

This was my first time at Norfolk so lets just say the first lap was terrible, mainly due to my driving but also to do with the front suspension set up.

The spring rates up front were awful, and it was rolling around like a boat, but the worst problem was that the low offset wheels i was using on the front. Due to those and the extra lock, the inside rim was colliding with the lower wishbone leaving me with a terrible noise and this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So to solve it me and a friend raised the front suspension by 15mm, fitted the 50mm spacers i had fitted to the rears and knocked the arches out with a trusty lump hammer.

This worked well and pretty soon i was back in the que.

The car never missed a beat and went strong for the rest of the day, it was due to this and how much fun i had that i decided not to sell up.

My mood was then destroyed while changing my wheels back to road use at the end of the day and the key rounded off, this caused me to run around the pits for 45 minutes to see if anyone had a spare, luckily some pro driver dude with a awesome 350z had one and let me borrow it, i cant thank you enough man!

While changing the wheels i found that due to the wallowing nature of my suspension that the tyre was rubbing on my inner arch and through the wiring loom, so that need addressing.

[​IMG]

Throughout the day i learned a lot, and made a nice shopping list of parts to buy before the next practise day. the main purchase being some HSD's with decent spring rates and damper settings as opposed to my cheap tat.

I just want to say cheers to everyone that gave me feedback and advice throughout the entire day, i cannot wait for next month.

[​IMG]

13. SLAMbert

SLAMbert Member

So after the practice day at Norfolk arena in may i went away with a nice list of things to sort out for the next practice.

The main problem was the wallowing, boat like suspension and the wheels fouling on the lower wishbone, I planned to buy some HSD's but i thought id play with the spring rates on my current coilovers first to see if it might solve the problem.

So cranked up the front spring rates a fair way and it seemed to solve the problem, might need some more adjustments but it'll do for now. I also ordered another pair of 25mm spacers for the front to space the wheels away from the wishbone, it resulted in some pretty awesome fitment up front.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I didn't have time to tuck the wiring loom inside the wing as i simply forgot about it :rolleyes: so i done a quick fix using the chopped and wrapped coke can technique.

I didn't like my placing and mounting of the oil cooler so i made a bracket to fit it on the crash bar behind a empty fog light hole. It also made the hoses less constricted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

While the crash bar was off i also gave it a little touch of paint just to rid me of the dull black.

[​IMG]

Then after all the preparation it was off to Norfolk!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was fantastic, had a absolutely awesome day! Cheers Mark for the pictures and cheers Minnie and Malx and everyone who organized it.

I was told my driving got better throughout the day so it kept me happy for a while.

The car never missed a beat again, the only problem was the lack of electric fans as they packed up before the day and i had no time to source the problem.

Im booked in for the 13th of july practise day and quite frankly i cannot wait.

The next big thing is a gloss respray and tidying up the bodywork, im going to try to get this done for the 13th but im not counting on it!

#53 SLAMbert, Jun 28, 2013
  14. caged

caged Drift Gibbon

your steering rack spacers are the wrong diameter, thats why they havent worked

15. m.d.

m.d. Active Member

Yeah as caged said. The idea is that the spacers go inside the rack not but up against it

16. SLAMbert

SLAMbert Member

Cheers guys, i got that a while ago.

17. evilmickey6

evilmickey6 Member

This is bloody awesome! Top work dude! Looks the tits.

If you ever do upgrade to HSD's ill take your current coilies off your hand.

also: Where did you get your import rear plate surround from and the front one ?

18. SLAMbert

SLAMbert Member

Right so its been a while since my last update.

I went along to the Norfolk drift day on the 13th of July and once again it was a awesome day. The start of the day consisted of dealing with a dusty track so a quite a few spins but over a few hours the dust died down and fun was had by all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only thing to go wrong throughout the day was the exhaust rubber snapping while coming off the track but 5 minutes later and we were back in the que.

The day was hot, very very hot and numerous people were having to remove panels/install squirters/ or run with the heaters all day, but even with no electric fans the 1JZ stayed at a moderate temperature all day.

Anyway a few weeks later the next drift day was released so i put my name on the list, it was over a month away so i thought id have enough time to get the car ready for its respray.

I spent a good few days DA'ing the paintwork down as it was covered in little 'flecks' from my previous poor job.

Then my mate said he'd paint it in his workshop, so work began.

[​IMG]

After a night of masking i got a call saying the cars in primer ready to be flattened down, so i shot off to his shop and helped rub it down nice to a nice finish. Unless you couldn't tell by my previous paintwork I don't have much body shop knowledge so this was all new to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few nights of this and he finally decided it was ready for paint. I stayed late with him on that night to watch how it was applied and we didnt finish until roughly 1am. The paint came out fantastically i loved the color even though it was lighter then i expected, but i thought it was awesome. All that being said my mate kept making little hints like 'there's some shit in the roof and tailgate' and 'i made a small run in the door'.

I should have taken this as sign of trouble as the next day i get a phone call saying hes sanded it all down as he wasn't happy with it, bloody perfectionists.

Long story short, i missed the drift day by a close margin and lack of money, but the result was awesome. I think its justified, well done mate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cant wait to get back out at Norfolk, but looks like i might have to wait a few weeks.

#58 SLAMbert, Sep 3, 2013
  19. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

That looks fucking sweet, really like these.

20. ZacKisBacK

ZacKisBacK Member

Love the outcome! Great color!