Gt86

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by jdm-ego, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Damien

Damien ~London Folk~

2. Mattyboi

Mattyboi Active Member

I thought it was bad so didnt buy one. I test drove one a number of times and if it was just under 20K i prob would have. When you can get a V8 M3 for way less i found it hard to justify.

I think as a second hand buy I would look at one with the aim of modding it. But buying a 26K car with the aim of modding it off the bat to make it better is not something I could justify compared to the list of cars you can get instead. V8 M3, M5, exige S2, RS4, elise, boxster, 997 C2s.

3. Doz_SR20

Doz_SR20 Member

I agree, new cars especially a new model line within the first year are always going to have teething problems. As for the lack of power, I'm sure there are a lot more reasons as to why they didn't give it a blower in the first place. Emissions, Cost, ability to conform to certification for different markets globally the list goes on. I'm sure they would have loved to give it more power from the go but it was probably infeasible from an every day production stand point. Reviews seem to be good for it and from what I've read it drives really well. I've looked underneath one on a ramp and it looks pretty well sorted - nice and simple but all the right bits and pieces to make it handle well. If you've got the money to buy one then you've got the money to fiddle around with it and make it your own!

4. docwra

docwra Active Member

I dont want to start any fights here but I was surprised at how similar the power and torque curves were to a GTI-6, which was an N/A 2.0 originally produced in 1996 ...........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Considering they weigh about the same ......... :)

5. Lauren

Lauren Member

I've ordered a GT86. Expect to get it next weekend with a bit of luck.

All I hear people going on about is the power. I've had a number of test drives so far and whilst there are faster cars out there personally I think it has a nice balance between power and the chassis. Sure the chassis is good and when you get that situation you can't help but feel that it could take more power.

I've managed to spec mine with the Milltek exhaust and Injen Induction kit all supplied and fitted by my dealer, so no warranty issues there. :)

This car is hugely popular amongst tuners. There is already a huge numbrer of aftermarket parts available.

Not fast enough for an SLJ (Straightline Junkie), bolt on a supercharger or turbo kit. Sorted.

I own an AE86 as well and on my favourite roundabouts, the GT86 reminded me of my older car. :)

6. iamben

iamben Active Member

Over rated and under powered.

One plus point over the AE86 is at least it won't rust.

7. Lauren

Lauren Member

On the other hand Ben, the chassis is light years ahead of the AE.

8. iamben

iamben Active Member

My microwave has a chassis that is light years ahead of an AE86.

9. twiglett

twiglett Active Member

having worked on a few of them fitting stereo and sat nav kits and ripping the interior apart trying to fix rattles and squeaks still hasnt put me off of them.
    had one come in the other day with a milltec exhaust and trd panel filter and it sounded awesome.
    couldnt resist taking it for a spin and a long road test trying to pinpoint a rattle, turns out one of the tubes for the face vents wasn`t secured to the dash top, took ages to find the bloody thing because it was temperature related.
    the good thing about the toyota warranty is its so easy to understand and its 5 years of worry free motoring.
    if you fit an aftermarket part and something unrelated goes wrong then the warranty isnt affected.

10. kieran_e1

kieran_e1 In need of practice

just wait for the brz sti and all will be right with the world. 300 bhp is exactly what the chassis needs

11. Sam H

Sam H Troll Dispatch

180hp lol

I love these cars, but every time I fancy buying one, the world tells me what else more amazing 20 grand could be spent on.

12. Daddy_D

Daddy_D D1 street king

like what Sam H

13. Daddy_D

Daddy_D D1 street king

Ah but that was all used cars. In 10 years I might end up with a GT86 for 1000gbp. Or it could be even sooner depending on how long they plan on the production run.

14. Sam H

Sam H Troll Dispatch

true. It's not the whole 20k gets you a new car. It was, what could I get for 20k. Don't get me wrong, I love the GT86.

15. Day

Day Member

And the £20k spent on half of those cars wont become £10k in three years. Infact if your careful with your money youd stand to make on it. A 2 door sierra Cosworth would be a good example of what you could get without loosing a penny in the long run, apart from maintenence.

16. Lauren

Lauren Member

17. mazdachris

I don't really get why people are whinging about power. Most fun cars I've owned:

Mini Mayfair - 60bhp
    106 Rallye - 99 bhp
    Ford Puma - 120bhp
    1.6 MX-5 - 115bhp
    1.8 MX-5 - 125bhp
    Nova 1.4SR - 120bhp

And so on. Power doesn't equate to fun - a good chassis does.

All of the cars above were several times more fun than my 200SX which had around 220bhp.

18. docwra

docwra Active Member

Aye, but none of them were £25K. I adore my GTI-6, but I wouldnt buy it for the same money I paid for the 350Z , for instance.

Anyway, I found it very interesting that not once did Mr Clarkson mention the lack of powers, he obviously felt it had enough to get by :thumbs:

#39 docwra, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  19. mazdachris

I've not driven one, so I can't say for sure, but I'd assume that because it has skinny little tyres it means that the power is appropriate to the level of grip. He certainly seemed to be saying that you could very easily kick it out sideways.

I do think that generally too much grip is a thing that really kills the fun of a car. It may be the best way to generate laptimes, but in terms of keeping a car fun, the closer you can drive it to its limit, the more fun it is. So cars which have a lower limit are more accessible and more fun than those where you'd have to be going at terrifying speeds before you can mess around with them.

I love the concept, personally, and I think it encapsulates everything I've loved about MX-5s over the years.

25K is not a huge amount for a sports car really. If the MX-5 is the benchmark for affordable RWD fun then a 2.0 Sport with the options is knocking on the door of 23k, and that has less power and two fewer seats. Of course there's plenty you could buy second hand with more for less money, but people who are int he market for a brand new car are not looking for second hand cars, and vice versa.