The fitness thread

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by kam, Jun 29, 2012.

1. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

Oh no neither do I, no desire to be anywhere near that.
    I never isolate biceps for example, I don't want to be much bigger.

Just pointing out that growth can be phenominal using a wide range of techniques/form.

2. aston_87

aston_87 Member

Missed the point.

His Physique was incredible...but hes not exactly the best role model for people as in order to achieve it, he was geared off his face and died at like 23 or something saft.

Im sure everyone would love to look like that, but don't do it the way he did it was the point I was making.

Otherwise, you be one aesthetic dead sickkkkunt.

3. Gymbob

Gymbob Active Member

Exactly, it annoys me so much how everything is just fake, *buy this protein and creatine and you can get like this* etc... Its just all false advertisement. Then if articles are mentioned its like he eat this and that much a day, has this many shakes blah blah but they fail to mention the amount of test hes putting in a day.. false hope

4. kam

A great example of a top level natural athlete is Rob Riches, does a lot of internet videos/blogging.

5. Goddaz

Goddaz Member

I thought he died from an existing heart condition?

6. aston_87

aston_87 Member

Thats the official line and realistically im only speculating to say otherwise.

However, I would be quietly confident in saying he was abusing steroids which may have exacerbated his heart condition or in fact caused it. At the age of 23, it seems a little odd to say the least. And I read that a heart condition ran in his family...and brother was arrested for steroid usage or possession or something like that. Seems legit to say that steroid abuse may have been common in his circle.

But I am am merely going on hearsay/rumors/anecdotal evidence/assumptions that pretty much everyone has made.

Either way, great physique for a dead dude.

7. Jason

Jason Nurse?

Kinda agree... the supplements market is one of the biggest money spinners going... people think that the more they spend the better they will be... just all boils down to hard work.. supplements, the right ones in the right amounts can be great. theres no easy way round it! As for steroids, i cant really comment as ive never taken them and never wanted to.

You want Role Models, look at Reg Park, Steve Reeves and Vince Gironda. They were doing this before steriods were about and most of the workout routines and new fads that come about are just their ideas reincarnated.

8. Mad_Max

Mad_Max isthisreallife?

I like his physique and the trolling he did in his vids. But yea he probably isn't the best-rolemodel.

And i know he did a shitload of gear and everybody with common sense knows that.

9. Gymbob

Gymbob Active Member

That's the usual 'excuse' There is no generated FACT that steroids can kills, as 99% of the time they say its a heart condition.

But they have loads of evidence to suggest how they effect the heart.

At the end of the day in simple terms, your heart is a muscle, just look at what they do to your bodily muscles, which you contract at the gym. Your heart is working 24/7. I know many people who have had blood transfusions due to them and heart problems.

Is there FACTUAL evidence to suggest this? in a way no

But if someone actually completed a study im sure you would find the real answers

10. kam

What can everyone leg press in relation to squat?
    Double?

11. Taxi

Taxi Skid Bitch SKID!!!

I read an article saying that its roughly 1.8 times hat you can squat. It's something to do with the angle of the leg press + the isolation of takin your back out of it. I can only squat 80kgs. Well I say only, 80kgs is heavy! But I can leg 6 reps at 300kg's!

Pic to prove as I get called out on everything lol

[​IMG]

:)

12. kam

300kg is monsterous!

I can squat 150x3, so should be able to push some good weight. I'll load it up next leg session.
    Howcome your squat is @ 80kg? Lower back weak?

13. Taxi

Taxi Skid Bitch SKID!!!

Very weak! You make 80kg sound easy lol I find it really heavy! I've been focusing on my technique for a bit so I think it's time to hit that 100kgs mark soon! And from there it's just slowly slowly catchy monkey. Ill just load up on 2.5kgs a side till I finally get to a bigger squat. You forget, I've only been workin out the last 7 months lol ;)

150 squat is fucking big tho dude! You should be proud! As long as your technique is good your on to a winner ;)

I am a receptionist at a gym so I've learnt soooooo much from just watching and paying attention! Plus obviously my training partner has steered me in the right direction ;)

What's your deadlift like kam?

#533 Taxi, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  14. kam

I'm not saying 80kg squats are shit, I'm just surprised it's that "low" in comparison to 300kg for reps leg press :)

Deadlifts I struggle with fitting in around my squats, I can never get the balance right of having fresh enough legs (too soon after squats), or doing it too near to squats and having tired legs for those! Deadlifts last week I finished on 140kg x 8. Starting at 60 kg adding a plate a side per set, 3 sets total. It's not that good and I need to improve it to get my squats up (lower back gets tired before legs).

I might start with the barbell raised to it engages less hams/glutes. Wrecked my grip too, I couldn't pick up an egg when I got home haha!

15. Jason

Jason Nurse?

Kam all depends on the angle of the leg press, are they all the same? i dont know. I can leg press 330kg, but that may not have any bearing on a different press machine?

16. kam

17. Taxi

Taxi Skid Bitch SKID!!!

Oi Jason! I was enjoying some praise for once! Lol :thumbs:

Nah your right tho, the back does move up and down but all that's for is so if your doing heavy presses you can bring the back up to almost 'force' you into the base of the seat. Otherwise the weight makes up slide up the back and pushes you out lol

Don't get me wrong, I found 300kgs almost impossible to get moving but once it is its doable.

My deadlift is at 140kgs but that's only 3 reps. Lol

[​IMG]

Ooooossssshhhh!

#537 Taxi, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  18. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison Driftworks Owner
    Staff Member

I properly let a lot of my hard work from last year go to shit in the run up to Christmas and particularly over Christmas - I was still exercising a bit, but the Beer and bad food opportunities got me big time! I went from 94kg to 102.5kg (average measured over 4 days) :(. I wished I'd weighed myself over Christmas as I wouldn't have let it happen, but ahh well.

Since the 7th of Jan I've been working out at home, and I've come up with a great way (for me) to have a super intensive fat burning and muscle building work out before work.
    I don't have breakfast before starting. I stretch, then warm up for 10 minutes on the treadmill, then set it to a speed and incline that puts me in my fat burning heart rate. Then I leave it running. I get off, do bodyweight exercises on the pullup /dip frame with assistance bands, or do weights. Always in 3 sets of ten reps, and instead of just resting 1-2 minutes between sets I jump back on the treadmill that's still running for the 1 - 2 minutes.
    It takes about 50 minutes each day, and I have breakie with a protein shake as soon as I've finished, then hit the shower and get to work.
    I'm doing this 4 days a week, splitting muscle groups for each day. I'm also being pretty good at watching what I eat. I'm giving myself the weekends off to be 75% bad (trying to lay off beer in favour of vodka and diet sprite, which is fucking lovely btw ;)). Anyway I'm back down to 96.5kg, and will be pushing on to be back where I was at 94kg this time next month if I can, and get down to a stable 90kg as an overall goal for the year.
    I'm not sure if this is a particularly great way to build muscle, or weight loss, but as I want to do both it seems to be working pretty well for me so far.

As usual the only thing that ever really trips me up is that I'm a massive greedy bastard in the head! No matter what my body looks like, I want to eat everything all of the time, and could happily drink beer every night if given the opportunity. So if I can keep that under control, or at least offset the terrible diet with working out real hard, then I'm happy :)

19. pwalker

pwalker Member

i hope all these figures are "proper" not shit reps :p....theres nothing i hate more than people in the gym lifting the heaviest weights they can (but apauling technique) also i hope people are onabout actual squats not on a machine :p
    and for leg presses people could still be onaout cable machines and depending how many pulleys etc the weight will be different.
    150kg is a heavy squat!

20. Taxi

Taxi Skid Bitch SKID!!!

Lol
    Phil! Come on! You cannot out exercise a bad diet! Lol

I know what your on about pwalker. And yes, to answer your question, there proper full depth reps. As for squats, ass to grass and with leg press, my knees are nearly hitting my chin ;)