Tyre rule RE: Fronts only!

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Dylan, Feb 28, 2013.

?

Tyre wear rating rule...

1. All 4 wheels to comply to 180 wear rating

11.1%
  2. Only rear tyres to comply to 180 wear rating

30.6%
  3. No wear rating rule all round, just E-marked. Rule 3.6

38.9%
  4. Slicks and allsorts (No tyre rules whatsoever)

19.4%
  1. Dylan

Dylan JZS14FTW

According to the new rules:

3.6.1 All tyres must have a tyre wear rating of 180 or more. Any tyre that does not have a wear rating stamped on the side wall will be measured by the use of a tyre softness gauge owned by the BDC. This gauge is the only gauge that will be used to test tyres.

I can understand why this rule has been put in place for many reasons, but what I don't understand is why this has to be applied to all 4 wheels?? It should only be applied to the driven wheels, and rule 3.6 should stand throughout.

I personally run Yokohama AO48R's which have a wear rating of 60, on the front of my car! I have calibrated the car to work in harmony with these tyres, to provide rapid direction change, fast flicks, unbelievable front end turn in stability at high/low speeds. I don't have a problem to re-set the car to work with MA-Z1's(which i have used before) but personally I feel it will tone the level down of what the cars are capable of. I know im not the only one as there are other competition cars which probably rely even more on their front end grip than mine. Ive tested a huge amount of different tyres on the front end of my car, and there are so many road legal tyres out there which are more 'capable' than a MA-Z1 Drift.

Also unless you regulate every car, whats to stop people using softening compounds to try work round the rule? I personally wouldn't as its unsportsmanlike like, messy job, but im sure there will be a few out there who will try anything for an extra edge, i.e. brake checking :euge:. The accuracy of the 'Softness' gauge is debatable due to so many variables; temp, pressure, etc etc

As a drivers championship im just sharing my opinion, which I personally believe will help push for more competitive on-edge drifting.

Ive started a poll to get a general feel for what other drivers think, and to not have any bearing on what should happen as thats down to the BDC :wave:

#1 Dylan, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  2. Ricky Emery

Ricky Emery Active Member

No it's just rear tyres mate. Front's just have to be road legal, E marked available to buy in the UK. There isn't a trearwear rule just no slicks etc.

3. Dylan

Dylan JZS14FTW

The rule was copied and pasted straight out the regs:confused:

4. Ricky Emery

Spoke to Sweeps the other day. Same as last year. No restriction on front treadwear. That would be silly.

5. Sam H

Sam H Troll Dispatch

You sure? I understood the rule was in place for people running tyres that had some real funky ratings. I remember the falken guys getting upset because the falken tyre didn't meet the regs?

6. Ricky Emery

Yeah nothing to do with tread wear mate just the fact it wasn't road legal and e marked or something.....

7. Sam H

Sam H Troll Dispatch

Not sure how you can comment, it was something that came up before you were drifting competitively.

8. Ricky Emery

Because i sat in the fucking briefing at the dinner dance where it was discussed!

9. Joe-sef

Joe-sef -Broseph-

Im my point of veiw.

- I was under the impression that it was only the REAR TYRES that had to be controlled - as ricky said it was discussed at the dinner dance.

however the RULE but clearly states ALL TYRES have to have a wear rate of over 180, there for any previous discussions, any bar talk etc is out the window, as the RULE BOOK is what all competitors will be refering to.

IF someone was busting around with less then 180's on the front then dont be supprised if you get kicked from that round.

Thats the way i read the rules. i dont think the first sentance can be any more clear?

(as for the poll if i had to choose what tyre people should use i selected all 4 to be 180 or more, purely for cost reasons)

#9 Joe-sef, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  10. Ricky Emery

Well i spoke to sweeps the other day and thats what he told me.....so im going with that.

11. jrc

jrc Team Sannsi

I have been also told its rears only being controlled :0)

12. reeperR32

reeperR32 Drift-Street-Imports

then the rule book needs to be changed as it clearly states "ALL" tyres ;)

13. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

I quite liked the idea of ALL the tyres being controlled... Gives people on a budget a bit more of a level playing field... As there no way i can afford r888, a048's for the front... And i imagine its the same for some of the other competitors.

14. Ricky Emery

Na fuck that its a one of payment for a pair of front tyres that last a whole season not paying for 10 a048 every round is it lol hardly a big difference paying couple hundred quid when you spending what ever thousands on a season.

15. Car Media

Car Media Doughnut eater

Mr emery does speak the truth, 180 only to do with rear tyres, there are a couple of mistakes in the new regs that sweeps is addressing.
    Front tyres only need to wear an E-mark. :thumbs:

16. Sea Squirrel

Sea Squirrel Jeff Mills Is Watching!

Not that it's going to affect me but this rule counts out very few tyres looking around though, doesn't it? The Achilles 123, still fine, the Falken RT615, still fine, the Federal RS-R, still fine, the Neova AD08, still fine... it only really counts out the 888's from things that people MIGHT be running in the UK anyway...

Edit: oh, and of course, the MAZ1 Drift is still fine :rolleyes:

17. TheUrbanTiger

TheUrbanTiger Nickbradydrift.com

I think the guys at BDC need to address this post directly if poss and put it all to bed for us :thumbs:

18. Polo

Polo Sr20 parts man!

The rules are.......

Front tyres Emarked only,
    Rear tyres Emarked and 180 TWR or more.

SIMPLES!

Trust me, I have had in depth debates with sweeps about this.

19. RandomGuy

RandomGuy Harroooooooooo!

Uuurrrggghhhhhh ;)

20. BDC

BDC BDC FTW!

Ladies

The rule on tyre wear rating applies to the rears only, all front tyres must be E marked.

Simples

Many thanks

The BDC team