The fitness thread

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by kam, Jun 29, 2012.

1. el_bandido

el_bandido Member

yeah, that's why I want some rings. Really want to add muscle ups to my daily routine. Front lever is hard to hold, I can't quite get horizontal yet but I think that's more down to the size of the doorway I'm using for the pull up bar. Can hold a 1 handed handstand for a good 10 seconds now, which proper shut all the gym lads up at uni.

2. markturbo

markturbo Tarmac scrapper

Ha ha I think its worth a shot lol

Always found muscle ups pretty cool, but can;t do them ha ha :)

Have added a couple of ab exercises to the end of each session, as haven't ever done them, so wanna lose the belly abit, while still trying to get alot bigger/stronger :D

Think I'm going to start logging down weights etc and try and organise my routine more :D

3. el_bandido

el_bandido Member

Plank style exercises are brilliant for abs/core. If you want to lose the belly, it's more about what you do in the kitchen than how much muscle training you do.

4. -Marc-

-Marc- -JZX-

So what should I be aiming for with deadlifts, double body weight?

Never really done them before last week and I'm trying to mix up my gym routine.

5. Jason

Jason Nurse?

The weight isn't important, technique is everything and strength will come with this.. Just remember to keep your back straight and ass low! A lot of people I see sticking their ass up in the air and lifting with their lower backs.. Not good!

6. SheffJohn

SheffJohn Member

Agreed. Definately the one most important exercise to make sure your forms perfect before worrying about weight.
    Too easy to cause damage doin it wrong.

7. -Marc-

-Marc- -JZX-

My form is alright, just interested what sort of weight to aim at. I started at 160kg but that wasn't too much of a struggle.

I guess I like to train to a goal and then raise the bar, makes me work harder I think.

8. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

Bit of a mixed bag CT, I've watched his earlier vids and he was the politest, well spoken bloke you could find.
    Now he's some inked up badass, god knows what happened to him!

9. SheffJohn

SheffJohn Member

Fair enough. Guess I'm similar in that goals mean graft.

Been properly training a year, 86kg, deadlifting 4x200kg or a single 220kg. That's after warmup sets of 6-8 between 150kg and 180kg
    Don't think I'm doing too badly.

10. -Marc-

-Marc- -JZX-

Cool, gives me some idea of what people are doing.

I'm 100kg so I guess I'll crack the 200kg mark and take it from there.

11. paul_gt4

paul_gt4 New Member

I try to get to the gym at least 3 days a week, then I have rugby training with the senior team one day and I do coach the under 15's so I do a lot of the cardio with them, then most Saturdays this time of year I would have a match, in the summer months I play tag rugby or referee at tournaments so I'm fairly active all year round. Need to sort the diet though.

12. FireStorm999

FireStorm999 Active Member

U can basically eat what u want and keep the weight off if ur training hard enuf.

13. markturbo

Yer i think double bodyweight is a good aim to begine with :) (I see below that you've said you've already got technique sorted :) as others have said its def important having that sorted)

Same with squats, people just do all sorts of weird things lol

Same as me, always good having goals :D

ha ha He did a video explaining that somewhere ;) Really want his arms lol

Thats some very good weights bud, good work :)

Gone back to an arm workout again at the mo, as said before really want 22'' arms, but had taken arms day out of my workout routine, enjoying doing them again :D

I've actually started looking forward to leg day too lol practicing technique so i can now start progressing with weight :D

14. SheffJohn

SheffJohn Member

Looking forward to leg day is something i NEVER thought id be doing, but yeah, its actually now getting to the stage im happy with technique and can crack on and make some progress.

Loving the front squats at minute

15. FireStorm999

I presume leg press is a lot easier than deadlift on the big machine that holds the bar?

Doing 190kg (maxed out machine) on leg press and its quite easy to do 12 reps quite close to the bit u push off from.

16. kwalker705

kwalker705 Member

leg press is good. but if you want to work your legs and a lot of the rest of your body then concentrate on squating. Both front and back squats on seperate weeks. I leg press over 720lbs. But that was cause i concentrated on leg press and having leg power....my back squats are only at 160kg for threee though, and front squats at 130kg for 5 all because I hadnt worked the stability muscles and my technique. squats will work your abs, back and a whole host of stability muscles. If you want to have strong legs then squat weekly. You wont regret it ! plus if you decide to jump back on the leg press you'll be blown away with how easy you'll push the full stack.

17. FireStorm999

Another question i got is about taking in a shake just after weights. How soon?

Because i go for a 25min swim after weights. Dnt wanna massive drink just before idealy

18. SheffJohn

SheffJohn Member

Your gym got an inclin leg press instead of the standard horizontal one with 200kg stack ?
    Just a big sliding uphill cradle you can pile 20kg plates on ?
    Much much better results using that personally.

And the big machine that holds bar for deadlift, do you mean a smith rack ?
    I can't deadlift for shit on those and feel it promotes aweful form cause it holds you far to ridgidly.
    Freebar off the floor, safer, heavier, better

19. markturbo

ha ha Still don't like the days after leg day lol

Haven't tried front squats yet, alot of my mates do them so I will try them soon

I 'believe' that most say idealling in the first 30mins after exercise, so I'm sure you'll be fine after swimming :)

20. SheffJohn

SheffJohn Member

Slightly different muscle set and personally can get ass that little bit closer to ground, for some reason with fronts