The HOLSET Thread

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by dale_b, Nov 23, 2012.

1. ruby1j

ruby1j Member

hx35 if u plan on going holset

2. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Why not a 40? Or even bigger?

3. vilnis29

vilnis29 Member

bigger will not be very lagy? because i dont want big lag, because i want build that engine with good torque, not just max hp, and this year i want use for street and maybe sometimes to drift :)

so then maybe hx will be good? I just dont know anything about holsets :(

engine will be 2JZ-GE with 7M electronis, safc-2, walbro. and i will think how big injectors will fit on all that :) and other mods what need to all that.

4. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

I think you're best off telling people what BHP you want, otherwise everyone is guessing.

5. vilnis29

vilnis29 Member

mmm something from 350-400, will be good for street use on Supra MK3 with 2JZ :)

6. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

You are both idiots and iv requested your posts be deleted from this thread.

If you are to stupid and nieve to listen to someone that clearly knows considerably more than you, then you are not welcome here.

7. ruby1j

ruby1j Member

i stand by what i say. or get a gt30.

8. driftdreamin

driftdreamin Member

Not one to post much but just for bit of info
    Just had 1jz mapped by Greg protuner, hy35 ,power fc, Walbro, 50mm wastegates, bigger injectors (unknown)' ,still got hydro fan, usual front mount etc
    Just under 1bar 406bhp, 1.3bar 446.5bhp, 1.5bar 460bhp @ 5250 through to 7500rpm 500lbft @ 3900rpm full boost about 3500ish
    I'm please hope info helps and Greg really does put full effort if you make him tea lol.

9. sulik

sulik Member

Nice infos -thanks! :)
    So you got the 500lbft @ 1.5bar right?

10. driftdreamin

driftdreamin Member

Yes mate that's right should be good set up on the tracks used over here

11. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Yeah man, that's more like it! Full boost at 3.5k, 500lbft of torque, and over 450bhp through a massive rev range too. That's gonna be a weapon to drive! Lots of fun!

12. ruby1j

ruby1j Member

now i knw what i can expect out of my holset hx35. i have a similar set up, stock 1jz with holset hx35, ebay manifold ported and ceramic coated, walbro 400, 540 cc injectors, emanage ultimate, 50mm hks wastegate, 3 inch exhaust and intercooler piping. just need to tune it

13. THICK SOUP

THICK SOUP Active Member

Are there any Holset out there that are suitable for a twin turbo application?

I'm looking for around 500 > 550 bhp mark on a VG30DETT, so I think I'd need something that would produce 250 > 300 bhp from basically a 1300cc 3 cylinder engine.

14. Krullert

Krullert Member

Okay I´ve always discarded the Holsets as non-suitable for small cc ricers. But this thread has made me consider it.

As the hx35 seems worth the money, what could it give me on my Mitsu Evo 3? Ive been googling for a compressor map but since I dont know anything about holset, i wouldnt know if i ran into some modded version.
    What relevant turbines/turbinehouses are there for the hx35? I heard the 12cm getting mentioned, what else?

Also id just like to throw out in the jungle that ofcourse high boost isnt all that counts.
    IMO a well sorted NA motor is the basis. Sure if its all supposed to be cheapo, an astmatic engine being forced thick amounts of warm air may do the job, well it will have to if theres not much money willing to go into it.
    But a healthy engine base always does better in the end.
    It has striked me that SRs always seem to be conservatively built when compared to 4G63s for example. Atleast here in Sweden basically all the evos go 272 or 280 cams and 8000+rpms. Now just looking at the NA base of that engine, it probably puts out 180hp or so. Wich means it will be hitting about 450hp@1,5bar and 520-540hp at 2 bar.

Needless to say, lower boost usually means hitting a higher efficiency island of the turbo, each in its own lowering the airtemp, thereby lowering the need for IC, lowering watertemp caused by high temp air over radiator and less risk of detonation.

In the land of dreams you have the means to build the more optimized engine, opposed to the more simple ones usually used in drifting. But fact is, many people love to throw money in their engines without good results.

And noone can say the SR isnt potent. In 2005 we had one that put out 885hp@8500rpm@3,3bar 553lb/ft 5900-8600rpm using a Garrett GT42R BB turbo

#194 Krullert, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  15. Clive

Clive Active Member

I keep looking at how I could pipe up a HX40 on my 4litre BMW v8.

Would be mental but just the heat and lack of space puts me off :(

16. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

I'd be looking at superchargers if I was running your engine:thumbs:

17. MMC

MMC New Member

Hey all,I,ve got a 1jz s13,stock engine on link ecu,fitted with a gt3076r .63 turbine housing,haven't driven the car yet,its only on a rough base map at the minute,but im pretty sure it will have very high back pressure on the .63 turbine housing,had the turbo lying around so said id give it a try,mabie change the turbine for a .82 or (ATP)1.06 divided housing and run a twin scroll manifold,but since looking at this and a few other threads on here I started to look at holsets,some can be had for the price of a turbine housing for the garrett,have come across a used he351cw with a 9cm exhaust turbine for 350 euro,now i can't find a compressor map or much information about them,my questions are would it be suitable for a 1jz,looking for about 500-550bhp?anyone have any idea how it would spool?,there looks to be a pretty big compressor on it,mabie it would surge?or if the 9cm turbine housing would be restrictive(Looks pretty small but then I dont no much about them)?,mabie I should be looking for a hx35 or hy35?

18. Clive

Clive Active Member

I sure am too :nod:

But turbo noise is awesome... I PERSONALLY not a fan of the supercharge wine!

19. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

No I'm not a fan of supercharger whine.. But I am a fan of supercharged V8's.. Makes a lazy engine, lively..

20. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

MMC- A HE351 will be far less restrictive than any HY35. HY35 turbine wheel is bigger than a 3076 one, and HE351 one is bigger than a GT35 one.