ok, so I have my m50 conversion, just afew silly questions about where some bits go

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Tommy Bates, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Tommy Bates

Tommy Bates Member

Right, got my 2.5 conversion for my compact its a m50 non vanos, just got afew questions about where some auxiliarys go like brether pipes ect, I have done engine conversions befor but never on bimmers here are pics

1.What does the pipe on the botom right go to
    [​IMG]

2.Whats this plug for?

[​IMG]

Whats this bras component for?
    [​IMG]

May seem like noob questions but its because I am a noob, please be gental with me :)

2. simonlpearce

simonlpearce Member

First is crank case and should plug into the crank case vent valve which i think is then plumbed into the dipstick.

Second looks like the MAF plug so should plug into the sensor.

3rd goes into the intake. Think its a temp sensor or something. It was plumbed into the filter on mine...

3. chidley

chidley i like fingers

first is crank case? that makes no sense to me. it looks more like a breather for the rocker cover, but not entirely sure where this should go to or if its ok just breathing to atmosphere?

second is 100% not maf plug, the maf plug is a female connector (very similar) whereas that one is a male connecter.. but i still dont know where it goes.

third is correct, it goes to your airbox. aint essential but try to plumb it in if you can tommy. i might have a spare 325 airbox knocking around you can have if i do

4. bell

bell Without patience

first is crankcase breather almost like a recirc for the oil afaik

second goes to a plug next to the fusebox in the engine bay unsure what it is but it does aswell as a massive plug in the same style

third isnt essential but car may run like shite if it isnt plugged in so as said worth a shot.

if my answers are wrong i'll have a look at an m50 conversion i did with all the necassarys plugged in and attempt some pics to help you out bud

5. chidley

chidley i like fingers

we may end up calling you then bell, i've got the lovely task of fitting this into tommy's compact next week. should piss it tbf :]

6. Tommy Bates

Tommy Bates Member

Im finding more and more compacts on here that have had to have interior loom replacements to get past the ews skid :s, need to actually speek to somone who has actually done it, they all say theyv had to modifie wiring but dont specifie what they actually did......

7. bell

bell Without patience

They wont specify it either as it effectivly removes the cars anti theft device. What age car is the engine going into?

8. Tommy Bates

Tommy Bates Member

its a r reg soo "96" "97" i think

9. LiamE36

LiamE36 Active Member

The rocker cover breather goes into the intake elbow.

The sensor could be MAF but looks more like the O2 sensor plug.

The brass thing is not a sensor it is just a water cooler, it pushes into the air box, mine is just cable tied to the air filter pipe (k&n).

10. chidley

chidley i like fingers

i dont really know tommy, id assume if the EWS is removed then you wont have issues, but having said that i remember selliing a 2.9 with EWS deleted ECU to a friend and he had issues getting it started cus the years conflicted...

11. LiamE36

LiamE36 Active Member

Because the EWS still needs to be bypassed on the car.

He is not likely to have a EWS ECU with this engine, therefore he will just need to bypass the EWS and it'll be fine.

12. bell

bell Without patience

engine may well have a non ews ecu going on the fact its non vanos which usually signifies its its an early engine. throw it in turn the key see what happens best approach you can take. if it doesnt start then ask as people will message you with shitty bits they have had go wrong rather than airing how to make a bmw run with tin snips on an open forum.

chidley if your on about the ecu i think your on about, it ran on another car, the car your reffering to never ever ran at all. personally i think it was down to the starter ring and the starter itself not being matched.

13. LiamE36

LiamE36 Active Member

Is this a pop at what I was saying about bypassing EWS?

Only trying to help.....

14. Tommy Bates

Tommy Bates Member

all your advice is verry much apriciated guys !!

literaly have no clue about bmws lol only stuf ii know is what i have read

15. djinuk

djinuk Member

As bell says tommy, best bet, plonk it in and see what happens, if it fails to start then begin the fun of tracing the wiring back, if its only the interior side of things it shouldn't be that difficult i doubt, much like removing a factory immobilizer from a vehicle i guess, find the cut.. remove the cut, and bypass it, its when its the ecu that's stopping things happening that it gets more complicated.

16. bell

bell Without patience

not at all liam, i know what needs to be done to make them run if shit hits the fan, but wouldnt air it in public the same as yourself. sorry if it came over shirty wasnt ment to have.

- - - Updated - - -

which it could well be the ecu.... lol depends what ecu is used though. certaion ones didnt have annoying ews in them.

17. dean1989

dean1989 Member

God u guys need me to come do this job for u

18. LiamE36

LiamE36 Active Member

Ok no worries.

I don't mind airing it due to there being so much info about it on google and other forums,
    it's already pretty public :smash:

19. Tommy Bates

Tommy Bates Member

dean i may be bringing the car to you soon lol

got it all in this week and the dreaded ews problems are here will do abit of fault finding tomorrow . all i know is starter isnt engaging and fuel pump isnt priming

20. LiamE36

LiamE36 Active Member

Bypass it then?