Tyre rule RE: Fronts only!

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Dylan, Feb 28, 2013.

?

Tyre wear rating rule...

1. All 4 wheels to comply to 180 wear rating

11.1%
  2. Only rear tyres to comply to 180 wear rating

30.6%
  3. No wear rating rule all round, just E-marked. Rule 3.6

38.9%
  4. Slicks and allsorts (No tyre rules whatsoever)

19.4%
  1. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

cant decide what is gayer. the rules or people bitching about them

to be honest apart from super pro class i really dont see why it matters what tyres you run on any corner, it may give you a very slight advantage but nothing a decent opponent cant drive around

i mean christ how can you worry about such a petty rule but then still not limit power bands? so 200bhp cars end up against 500bhp cars?!

from an ignorant outsiders view it does seem a bit like its biased towards making people (or heavily influencing them) to buy the brand of tyres that the championship is sponsored by; maxxis? which seems a bit unfair, as surely if they sponsor the series and get free advertising on everyones cars they should supply everyone with free front tyres or something?

thats always been one of the main reasons ive never fancied it, as if i had to run big ass stickers on my car advertising sponsors, id be wanting some free shit in return!

anyway, not trying to shit stir just making some points, might help people to understand why i often seem a little anti bdc or anything! i may well just be being daft and have missed some important bits so dont shoot me

2. Dylan

Dylan JZS14FTW

As far as I'm aware in 2011 I use to buy Maxxis z1 drifts direct from Maxxis uk at a discounted rate. I assumed the same as I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere you could do the same this year?? It appears other resellers still have them though so they are still available through some outfits at retail. No doubt il end up with a mismatched pair of part worns at R1!

3. Ricky Emery

Ricky Emery Active Member

Just make sure the part worns aren't softer then 180 lol!

4. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

Everyone seems to be missing the MAIN point here.......

What Maxxis are saying, is that All the MAZ1 Drifts are with the SPONSORED Cars/Team...

Meaning said team has an advantage by having a grippier tyre. An advantage that not even money can buy other drivers... You could almost say a monopoly.

#44 dale_b, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  5. JZXFTW1

JZXFTW1 Member

Yeah I can confirm the above re the MAZ1 Drift tire, really fancied using them as well would have been perfect.

See the Maxxis website:

MAZ1 Drift | Maxxis Tyres

Then you see this:

[​IMG]

Then this:

[​IMG]

I spoke to Neil who was helpful but had the same response as Dylan that due to budget constraints they could no longer stock the tires. I then asked "Just to clarify the 50% offer on the MAZ1 drift tire is not available anymore for BDC drivers, from you or anyone else?" and he said no :(

They are only available to the sponsored teams or to anyone who wants to order 200+ tires, anyone want to go halves with me?? :D or can I be in someone's sponsored team please so I can use the tires, I'm really good and have done 3 drift days :thumbs:

What's all this tread malarkey then are retreads okay

#45 JZXFTW1, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  6. Dylan

Dylan JZS14FTW

^^^^^ Exactly my thought process. Do we know if we can get any of the Maxxis range discounted?

7. Ricky Emery

Ricky Emery Active Member

Obviously not now....

8. the stig

the stig Active Member

frankly i dont give a flyin fuk,ill use what ever tyres i can get hold of or afford (part worns only tho!!)
    and just drive flat out.if your running the best tyres n got million hp then best you hand me my arse on a plate or its you that looks the mug!!!!

HOW ABOUT JUST HAVING FUN N DOING THE BEST WITH WHAT YOU HAVE!!
    CANT REMEMBER THE LAST TIME I SEE ANY1 CHANGING CAR SET UP AT EVENTS,FUK MOST OF YA DONT EVEN PLAY/TRY DIFFERENT TURE PRESSURES!!!

STOP BITCHING N MOANING N F-ING DRIVE.

9. Dylan

Dylan JZS14FTW

I know all about part worns as that's all i run 90% of the time, however I know what my car is capable off on a pair of decent tyres if I was good enough to make it to the battles. I'd throw on a scrubbed in good set.

No need to shout dude, il run part worns if you give me some 17s and 18s! As it stands i have 10 wheels with burnt rubber on.

10. Clive

Clive Active Member

Ain't all Bdc drivers sponsored by maxxis surely?

As you ALL gotta run one of their bright orange sunstrips :wack:

11. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

The fact still remains that japspeed boys have the advantage by having all the MAZ1 Drifts..

Whether it has been orchestrated or not, I see this as an unfair advantage.

It's not about your budget, it's about this being a level playing field.

12. reeperR32

reeperR32 Drift-Street-Imports

mate are you serious...?!

as initialJ said here.. fuck tyres.. if everyone is so worried about fair game then worry about capping power if its such an issue... but tyres.. really?

13. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

Power is irrelivent.. Power is nothing without grip..

The tyre is the only thing touching the ground.. The difference between a tyre with 180 TW and 220 will be clearly noticeable.

You and I may not reap the benefits from having the extra grip, but Pro and Super Pro drivers will....

Put it this way, if you got drawn against someone using a better tyre, a tyre that you couldn't get for love nor money, you'd feel hard done by..
    Why should 1 team have a tyre better than everyone else's?

14. Sweeps

Sweeps Active Member

So why do you think there has been a tyre rule put in to place on the rear? To keep those that want to run what are effectively track day tyres the boot, they are soft, expensive and last 3 laps - An unfair advantage in anyone's book.

Make people use an off the shelf tyre. Yes Japspeed have Maxxis sponsorship, but other drivers have tyre sponsors Team Lassa, so do Acorn Motortsport with Infinity, Nangkang are on board with Team Sannsi, I don't see anyone knocking those guys for having an advantage ...... Sponsorship doesn't come easy as those that have tried will know, the time and investment to get there is vast! I wish I had a tyre sponsor, but I'll keep buying my £25 none stick teflons so I have consistency, until I win the lottery.

To give a level playing field, front tyres must be E marked, simple, so if you want to run E marked R888's or Federal RSR's and the like then go for it (as long as they are E Marked).

As for an unfair advantage, bollocks! I kept up Paul Smith (current BDC Super Pro champ in his Maxxis sponsored 5 gallzion hp S15) in my 200BHP AE86 with a pair of £25 each happy shopper teflon none stick black round rubber things!

Set your car up to your grip level, man up and grow some balls. If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times, everyone is beatable, you just have to have faith in your own car and ability.

15. superclarkey

superclarkey DORITECH MOTORSPORT

So if its the case that tyres make no difference, and a little yellow thing with a guy that wears a funny hat can keep up with mega powers datsun, where is there even a silly tyre rule in the first place ? surely if it makes no difference and has no effect other then drivers skill just drop the stupid rule and let people show there worth on the day ?

Not being argumentative, ok a little :p , but you get my point ?

I wasn't digging on Japspeed, my points where general and not even just aimed at Bdc, more of drifting in general.

16. Sweeps

Sweeps Active Member

I see your point very clearly Clarky, it was brought in to get rid of what are effectively semi slicks with a few groves in them to make them road legal, or are made so soft they give the same advantage but with water dispersing groves. I've seen it first hand, those that have run mega sticky tyres have a massive advantage over a normal tread patterned tyres.

Nothing more nothing less, but people always like something to moan about and this is the latest. Lets face it, the number of drivers that were running tyres like that you could count on one hand.

17. Joe-sef

Joe-sef -Broseph-

Show me the lego blocks

18. superclarkey

superclarkey DORITECH MOTORSPORT

Yeah I think your 100% right, and I agree that its hard to police and is an unfair advantage to those who are there for fun, however the point I was getting at the start of this was that Treadwear is a really useless indication of the softness of the tyre, as its grip vs amount of tread blocks, you could buy a tyre softer then a t888 with 12mm tread blocks that would work out around the legal limit, the ONLY way to measure a tyre is softness and tyre width.

The easy way to do it is to test the top cars on qualifing run, so as they go out there softness is measured, and once top 32 or 16 what ever you run these days, the top 8 or so drivers are tested, i know this is still allot, but you can't have a rule unless you can enforce it imho.,

I agree there has to be something there to make it a level playing ground however the upper classes would be nice to see the best tyres that can be fitted to the car, thats what pro is all about in my eyes.

This is just my opinion on that matter, I know I have nothing to do with BDC and I don't drive in there, so not my place to call, but I do have loads of customers that Bitch and moan about this and it just annoys me.

19. Sweeps

Sweeps Active Member

You may not be involved but i still respect your opinion, until you turn emo lol :p If people want to moan or complain or ask for an explanation to why things are done they only have to ask ..... Jesus, I'm always here for people to ask and explain things, they only have to ask.

Things are in place to sort the matter our once and for all do not fear, i can see what you mean re being able to run what you want but then you would end up with cheque book winners, those that could afford the biggest fattest slickest tyres with a gazzilion hp winning.

Its back to 'trying' to keep the sport with some sort of level playing field for all, those that do it on a budget can still get results along with the sponsored teams. People seem to forget that if the sport appears to be out of reach financially then they'll think its not for them. We all know what they end up doing which doesn't do any of us any favours. With drifting being the only place that encourages young drivers to take to tracks in there own cars these days it needs to be governed somehow to encourage drivers to get to practice days and get involved.

People don't always see the bigger picture.

20. Cowpatmatt

Cowpatmatt Active Member

Dunno what everyone's problem is, most people only ever run cheap ditch finders anyway unless your sponsored. I will be running anything that's cheap. People need to worry more about drifting properly rather than moaning about car setup constantly.