Tyre rule RE: Fronts only!

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Dylan, Feb 28, 2013.

?

Tyre wear rating rule...

1. All 4 wheels to comply to 180 wear rating

11.1%
  2. Only rear tyres to comply to 180 wear rating

30.6%
  3. No wear rating rule all round, just E-marked. Rule 3.6

38.9%
  4. Slicks and allsorts (No tyre rules whatsoever)

19.4%
  1. superclarkey

superclarkey DORITECH MOTORSPORT

Again totally agree with what you saying, but if i can point back to what I was saying that imho the whole point of different classes is so that there is different levels of drivers and machines, most motorsport is like this, I know drifting is unique because of the mix match of cars, but not everyone is PRO, there needs to be some separation to aim for, If i came back to BDC even though under some rule I would qualify as super-pro, I wouldn't want to drive in that, I would want to be in the one down from that, semi-pro or whatever you guys call it, because I'm not Pro, I am a guy that isn't too bad at driving and cant afford to compete with the big guys, but its nice to know there is something to aim for.

I hope you understand the point i'm making, and tbh i'm only voicing peoples thoughts I hear and talk about, so just being upfront about it.

I say all this with the greatest of respect, not looking to pick on BDC>

2. Dylan

Dylan JZS14FTW

I have tyres now :D albeit being a bit of all sorts:wack: lets just see how it all pans out on the day.
    I'm still adamant on setting a top speed into Devils :) even if its on part worn budgets!

3. BDC

BDC BDC FTW!

Ladies and gents

Here is the official word on the tyre supply situation.

There seems to have been some confusion and misunderstanding here. We have double checked with the guy that heads up Maxxis Motorsport in the UK and all sizes of both MAZ1 and MAZ1 Drift tyres imported into the UK are readily available to buy from tyre dealers.

The confusion seems to have come from the fact that two sizes are earmarked for the teams supplied by Maxxis, and are therefore held by the manufacturer, but that is not to say that they will not be released to any drifter that wants to order them.

If you want to buy Maxxis MAZ1s you should be able to go to your regular dealer and order them. If you have any issues you can contact Maxxis directly via Neil@Maxxis.co.uk

Hopefully that ends the confusion.

Many thanks

The BDC team.

4. Dylan

Dylan JZS14FTW

Thanks for clarifying. Obviously things have changed since the old times. I assumed they should have been bought from the manufacturer as a series sponsor like i had done in the past, and hence didnt look elsewhere for other retailers.

However it should be made clear that there is no drivers deal as the website suggested

Sorry for pulling the pin on the grenade! :s but hopefully you can understand my concerns when I had that reply from Neil.

5. JZXFTW1

JZXFTW1 Member

Yeah I'm with Dylan, I don't care about the tire regs I just wanted some cheap Maxxis drift tires lol! I love a bargain I'm from Nazareth.

@ BDC - No confusion re tires, it just says on the website we can get 50% off, and you can't, so that needs to be removed. I think the biggest problem is that people won't want to pay full retail on Maxxis tires if their car runs Maxxis advertising, is that unfair to say? Shame as I would have loved to have tried them but @ £340.00 for four I'd need to sell twice the amount of cars I do each week, my four door likes tires :D

Also are you sure we can buy them even at retail, Neil suggested one supplier to me only and they don't have them? Just phoned to see if they could do me a deal but they don't have any. If you can suggest anyone that would be great.

If it's a no then fingers crossed Treads of Malvern will bring out a larger 18" retread, these 225 retreads I have are going to struggle with 500+ hp I think and I can't be bothered with part worns I'm lazy and I need to change them too often :D

#65 JZXFTW1, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  6. RandomGuy

RandomGuy Harroooooooooo!

not gonna be biased here but ........... You're all Queer :p

Man up the lot of you and do some fuckin skids!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

7. TomRemoved

TomRemoved Member

Im trying dude! We're on the case for 265 and 255/35/18 this year from a different supplier.

8. reeperR32

reeperR32 Drift-Street-Imports

Dude... Maxxis ain't the only tyre company that does your size...

9. JZXFTW1

JZXFTW1 Member

No shit lol but they were the only ones doing 50% on a premium new tire so was curious to how much they would be discounted :) x

#69 JZXFTW1, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  10. Ricky Emery

Ricky Emery Active Member

How much are the maxxis with the discount then? Im sure they would have been a fuck load more then the retread price!

11. kieran_e1

kieran_e1 In need of practice

according to the japspeed website they stock the maz1 drift in decent 18" flavour at £200 a tyre

http://www.japspeed.co.uk/maxxis-ma-z1.asp

*the above comment is purely a factual statement. I'm not interested in the rest of this discussion

12. Ricky Emery

Ricky Emery Active Member

fuckkk lol so still £100 even with discount!!

13. JZXFTW1

JZXFTW1 Member

Thanks Kieran for the price info and links :thumbs: yeah bit out of my budget for now unless someone wants to buy me some to er test for them :D

#73 JZXFTW1, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  14. ali303

ali303 Member

I was going to say "and when was the last time you did a skid Cahill!?" but then I remembered...haha

15. Geldy

Geldy the pain train woowo

so just to clear this all up can i run r888 on the front with a E mark?

16. Sea Squirrel

Sea Squirrel Jeff Mills Is Watching!

I'm not competing in 2013 so this has zero impact on me for this season but I'm building the car back up for when I get back from NZ for 2014 and, looking to the future and having driven on the Drifts, I can't help but feel that this rule plays directly into the hands of the guys supported by Maxxis and totally fucks over almost every other bugger on the grid! Anyone who says those tyres perform like something with that stated tread wear rating is quite blatantly talking total crap. If the aim's to level the playing field and make it more possible for the guys who can't afford to run semi-slick tyres to keep up then surely a £200 tyre designed to perform like a semi-slick once it gets to temperature due to its compound is a laughable exception to the rule? Same with the Achilles 123 drifts which, while available significantly cheaper through certain documents sources, are marketed as being a drift tyre that'll coincidentally slip through these regs specifically on the basis that it's the exact same as the normal 123 (which isn't eligible due to it's tread wear rating!) but with a deeper tread!

I'm not trying to be a dick here, nor am I trying to piss anyone off, but from the point of view of someone on the outside looking in this just seems really strange. Likewise it seems odd limiting the super-pro guys in the same way. Surely if you're competing at the truest pinnacle of the sport you should be able to build the car to run at the absolute highest level and push the limits further? In terms of tread wear rating it looks like the BDC is almost the only top level championship stopping people from using the best tyres at the highest level and it just looks a bit like it's going to start holding the UK back compared with everywhere else, certainly going to prevent more tyre manufacturers from wanting to get involved I'd have thought?

Either way, like I say, it doesn't affect me now and I'm not going to be able to afford to run semi-slicks when I do get involved anyway, nor am i trying to slate what's been done, but just interested in the discussion more than anything.

17. Cowpatmatt

Cowpatmatt Active Member

Just a small note but in maxxis defence as stated on the tyres the wear rating of the maz1 is 280. Not 180 so you can use stickier tyres than the maz1 drift. Thought I would throw that in to annoy the haters :)

18. Dylan

Dylan JZS14FTW

It was announced in the briefing that various brands and tyres will be tested, and a benchmark rating will be found, so the BDC are already looking into this rule to only make it fair for everyone :)

I also found out that 1000 MAZ1 drifts went through my mates stapletons last week, so plenty readily available, if you want them.