Stu's S14

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by stu_, Apr 8, 2013.

1. stu_

stu_ Member

Hi Driftworks. I'm going to attempt to condense 5.5 years my gradually-less-practical daily driver / S14 drift car into a few posts :wave:

DSCN0107.

Back in 2007 I bought it as a very standard 2001 registered 200sx Touring with 50k on the clock and a full service history.

media3.

A couple of years later someone convinced me that drifting would be a good idea!

DSC4292.

I got bored of Nissan 16” wheels and picked up a set of O.Z. Futuras in 18x8.5 e45 and 18x10 et45.

Image0061. .

They're not great sizes for the S14 so we decided to make them a bit more interesting.

Image0082.

Rebuild with new rear lips and the 2” lips moved to the front. It looks alright, but since the arches are a bit rusty we had to get the rears fitting by adding a load of camber. Not my sort of thing, so I'll have to add some overfenders to sort that out later.

futura5.

stu7.

I had a Cobra bucket seat that was a bit of a pain on the road, so I picked up a pair of Evo 4 Recaro recliners and made up some rails to fit them to the S14.

IMAG0112.

Then did a bit more drifting.

stu2.

2. stu_

stu_ Member

Fitted a R33 4.1 diff with a bonus Nismo 2way LSD inside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Meanwhile I got really fed up of changing turbo gaskets.

[​IMG]

So welded the standard T28 exhaust housing to the manifold.

[​IMG]

Bit more drifting!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bit more crashing...

[​IMG]

Fixed.

[​IMG]

Bit more drifting...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. stu_

stu_ Member

At this point the car was looking a bit tired, so picked up some horrible fiberglass and added a serious amount of effort prepping them, especially the front bumper which was terrible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bit of extended track and lock on the front – 20mm extended LCAs, DW offset rack spacers, Tein rods and standard ends.

[​IMG]

Then I did some painting, which went surprisingly well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. stu_

stu_ Member

Now up to the beginning of this year. I'd had a full Fabricage sitting in my flat for months, so we set about fitting the rear half.

[​IMG]

Car is rusty though.

[​IMG]

Floor fixed and some big 3mm spreader plates welded in.

[​IMG]

Then the Driftworks Christmas Geomaster deal made me very poor!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So while living on scraps of bread and tins of corned beef I also started making up a DIY super low rail for the passenger Recaro.

[​IMG]

5. stu_

stu_ Member

Then it was to get the car sorted for another MOT, oh dear!

[​IMG]

It looks like I'm going to need a bit more reinforcement before the rest of the cage goes in :wack:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At that point I decided to upgraded my temperamental old MIG welder when a Machine Mart VAT free day came along, and made sure it had plenty of gas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also I finally decided that I had to buy a daily. Picked up this little run around, which hadn't had much in the way of maintenance for some time and was massively down on power. But after taking a bit of time replace the crank sensor and give it a decent service it was ready to do burnouts once more.

[​IMG]

6. stu_

stu_ Member

Finally up to this weekend... it stopped snowing, quick get the grinder out!!

[​IMG]

I wanted to do something to get me motived to start welding upside down in the mud, so Dave (Jites) and I decided to tub the rear arches :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first one took a bit of head scratching to decide exactly how much to cut, the second one was much easier :smash:

[​IMG]

While I was welding the arches up Dave fettled the drivers overfender to get it to fit over the fuel cap, then we went round the front of the house to take a better look :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. darrengodfrey

darrengodfrey Member

Thats coming along well mate really like it, shame about that rust man :-/

8. tiredhero

tiredhero Member

Nice car dude,love those wheels,

Wat spray gun did you use to paint

9. counteract

counteract -o=me

Nice view!

Love the car, if I could have any other wheels I'd have Futuras, such amazing wheels.

10. Alex B

Alex B Active Member

How did you go about fitting the Skyline diff? I've got one with a Cusco/Kazz 2way but the halfshafts are different and the Skyline ones are much thicker.

Alex B

11. stu_

stu_ Member

Cheers guys :D

Yeah I'd been putting off fixing the holes in the inner sills since last summer, so time to do it properly and hopefully this shell will last me a bit longer.

I used a Devilbiss GTi that I was lucky enough to have loaned to me. Most of that was sprayed around 0'C so I had to learn fast :smash:

Wind, rain, snow and no garage, but I do get a good view of the hills :D

Hopefully I'll get the car looking decent with the O.Z's on by the summer. I don't think there's many sets in 5x114.3 about.

I used the R33 drive shafts, they fit the S14 hubs. It's an R33 ABS diff so it bolted straight on with the Skyline drive shafts :nod:

12. tiredhero

tiredhero Member

You did a bloody good job ;) with it

13. Alex B

Alex B Active Member

Thats what I tried but with R32 GTR shafts but there was no way they were going in. Were yours GTR shafts?

Alex B

14. immy21

immy21 Member

Use 32mm spline GTR hubs and cut the tabs off if necessary, that's what I did.
    Sbodies and non GTR Skylines are 30mm spline.

Good work as ever Stu

15. friar241

friar241 Member

Good going at busting the rust :)

I love the wheels you have buddy

16. NickyS87

NickyS87 Member

Nice turnaround dude.

Have you tinkered with it under the bonnet yet?

17. kenta

kenta Member

look good mate

18. stu_

stu_ Member

Yeah like immy said GTR shafts also need the GTR hubs. I just used the R33 GTS-t shafts which fit the S14 hubs.

[​IMG]

19. stu_

stu_ Member

:wave:

Cheers guys. It's taken a bit of effort to get them fitted and still have the car set up nicely. This is the 2nd attempt with 30mm fenders, still with loads of camber from when we fitted them to the stock pulled/flared arches (I'm using 50mm in the latest photos above).

[​IMG]

20. stu_

stu_ Member

Yeah first thing I did with the car before I started drifting it and haven't done much with it since power-wise. The spec is the usual 'stage 1' set up using the Horsham Developments chip.

I don't think I have any recent photos but the spec is roughly -

Stock T28 @ 1 bar; welded to cast manifold (it did have a T28R until that died).
    Hdev Stage 1 Chip
    Greddy Profec B
    Apexi intake
    Nur Spec + some aftermarket downpipe and elbow
    Apex FMIC
    Walbro fuel pump

It's been running like that for almost 4 years now. However, inspired by geeks like Immy and Munkul on here (:thumbs:), I do have a few other plans for some budget power upgrades once it's back on the road.

Impreza Sti 440cc injectors, Z33 350Z MAF and replace the HDev board with a Nistune one.

The Sti injectors are available for a good price, and fit into the SR20 fuel rail, the harness just needs to be repinned into the Subaru plugs. The Z33 MAF is also quite cheap compared with the Z32 and is already supported in Nistune. Then I just need to learn to map it (without blowing anything up). The car has always made decent power so I'm hoping to squeeze a bit more out of the stock turbo with that set up.

[​IMG]