mazda rx8 engine conversion options??

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Nickson-Msport, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Nickson-Msport

Nickson-Msport Active Member

my mate is likely acquiring a 190ps mazda rx8 which has shat itself! just thinking of engines to drop in, what have people done before and the work involved? he thought about a 230 model engine but I suggested putting something with a bit more poke in such as an sr20? any other engines for sensible money that can go in? whats involved in an sr20 swap, I thought with everyone doing 1jz and v8 conversions we could pick up a decent spec sr conversion with 350ish hp for not to much money. thoughts? anywhere I can find info on sr engine swap etc. cheers

2. chidley

chidley i like fingers

ive thought about doing the same lately but instead of installing an sr20, fitting my 1uz manual into it. as far as i can see they have a rear positioned subframe so anything front sumped is better (sr20's are front sump). the transmission tunnels are a fair size but not amazing, everything else is just normal for any conversion, custom mounts, custom exhaust, custom prop, custom wiring.

and ideally the cost of an sr swap will be in the region of £2000 without prop and mounts

3. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

4. Nickson-Msport

Nickson-Msport Active Member

main things I have heard that can be a problem is the rx8 has a powerplant frame so this needs to be addressed, also I think the rx8 has integral electrics for the whole car and so getting rx8 clocks etc to work can be an issue, and wiring a bit of a nightmare??

would be good to hear from some people who have carried out the conversion so we know whats involved.

rb engine is an idea, but I reckon keeping it 4 cyl may keep the balance of things a bit closer to stock and leaves a bit more room in the engine bay etc ?

keep the suggestions and info coming!! cheers

5. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

flat 6 from an svx :D

6. reeperR32

reeperR32 Drift-Street-Imports

sr will be a great choice... easy power, cheap to replace.. just full of win

7. Boss

Boss Member

Im currently putting a 1UZFE in one.....

with regards to the electrics, it depends on how much you want to work, all that isnt going to work ( without alot of work ) is the rev counter and the speedo, due the dash being having its own computer/controller that recieve digital signals from the engine ECU,

yeah you'll need to make a front diff mount, i'll get some pictures of mine,

steering rack is electric and has its own ECU, im converting to an MX5 or RX7 rack and an astra electric pump due to not enough room for the 1U p/s pump,

other than that, its a pretty big engine bay!

8. Dan507

Dan507 Member

I see your RB25 and Raise you...

[​IMG]

9. Rajzed

Rajzed Member

Phwoaar... looking good.

10. BBradders87

BBradders87 Member

Think a ca18 would fall in nicely! Got me thinking... Get my trusty steed a new suit!

11. oli_the_thread

I've wanted to build an RB20 FC for a while now. I think it'd suit well, revs nicely, plenty of relatively easy power and sounds the tits.

12. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

It's sprang to mind with mine to be fair, my 460bhp RB20 would work well. Sump in the wrong place so a fair bit of messing about there though.

13. dustyjake

dustyjake Member

What's wrong with the 13b from a 7? Keeps more is suit with how the car should be and as your mate was considering the 230hp rew he's obviously not a cockfag who's scared of rotaries

14. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

1jz/2jz :thumbs:
    What's the budget?

15. BBradders87

BBradders87 Member

Is that a rx8?

16. LBPhotography

LBPhotography Member

Walton from Nispro is currently putting an SR20 into an RX8. The only issue is the canbus which can make things a bit tricky but he'll have that sorted.

There was a lovely looking RX8 at the Nissan Extreme Torque event this weekend that was running a 1JZ (I think) It was a smoke machine, drifted very well and sounded great

17. nunian

nunian New Member

My god that engine looks sick man

18. kieran_e1

kieran_e1 In need of practice

yep built by amk garage in scotland iirc

19. BBradders87

BBradders87 Member

Do we actually think a ca18 would go in nicely....? I would....... I definitely would....

20. cefiro_drifta

cefiro_drifta Mad pointing Munky

M3 evo lump with 6 speed box ;)