Daft question: why dont people skid IS200s?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Adam-MGTF, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Adam-MGTF

Adam-MGTF Member

I feel daft asking this but - there cheap, reliable, not massivly heavy (power to weight is the same as a NA mx5) and i bet you loose a shed load of weight just by removing a few unnecissarys...

Im looking at a daily drifter while i build my r32 properly... ive looked at the usual e36s/mx5s but i like is200s and there no more expensive

2. Phil Mann

Phil Mann Member

All I ever hear about them is they drink fuel.

3. twiglett

twiglett Active Member

altezza`s are quite a bit easier to skid and are no where near as bad on fuel.
    theres a supercharged is200 on ebay for £2k at the moment that should make a good unassuming skid car.

4. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

People do use them.. They are great cars.. Altezza is the one you want, the 3SGE Blacktop engine is incredible.

It's very easy to put 3SGTE, 1JZGTE/2JZGTE or 1UZ/3UZ engines in these cars. I'm working on making them more appealing to drifter:thumbs:

5. Daddy_D

Daddy_D D1 street king

When somebody mentions IS200 the reply is E36 and that pretty much is argument over. IS200 are not that cheap anyway, plus its not like you can walk in a scrap yard and see one.

6. Adam-MGTF

Adam-MGTF Member

I dont think ive had a car in 5 years that topped 30 mpg lol, its never a factor for me in buying a car. But good point thanks :) this thread may help others after all

Im told thats not really charged (hardly suprising when the charger kits cost 2k used) im looking at 2 stock ones at 800 quid and a nice modded one at 1300

I agree mind, they dont stick out (my skylines were personal friends with the local traffic cars, my s13 wasnt much better!)

I would prefer an altezza but im yet to see one for under 2k, thats allot more than your daily shitter/missle car/ sub 1k skids sort of budget :( the 2.0 lexus 6 seems to take chaging ok, i wonder how they like nos? My r32 is getting every penny i can spare, but i have a nos kit :evillaugh:

Oh aye? What are the skunkworks turning out?

Thanks for the input, but id like to know the "why" ok 328is have 20bhp more - big woop. There is no differance in the price. Both are reliable. Both do close on 30mpg

Ok im playing devils advicate here but thats part curiosity and part that i cant stand e36s lol, i know lots of people do (my mum has one, i bought her it!) Its pure personal choice. But still im curious. My only stumbling block is cheap/aftermarket coilovers are non existant

7. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

Are you shitting me? I bought mine in feb as a completely standard car with tax & mot for £500.

I raped the shit out of it the whole way home.. Did some skids, supermega clutch kicks and she goes even with standard diff..

You could do a engine conversion in 2 weekends if you wanted more power/better fuel efficiency.

And you're wrong about e36 being a reasonable alternative.. I have had 6 e36's, I even have one right now as a daily..
    The SXE10 chassis is considerably better, it's more advanced and better balanced. It was designed be the same dude that designed the original AE86, therefore it's amazing.
    I'd sooner have an Altezza over a 320-325-328.. If I had the budget for an M3 I'd buy a modified Altezza with turbo or something awesome.
    Dont get me wrong, I do love an e36.. But the Toyota is better.
    The Lexus IS200 is pretty weak, but still better chassis and plenty of easy options to upgrade the running gear.
    The IS300 uses the 2jz NA with an auto.. Great engine with more than enough power even being NA. The gearbox is an easy conversion if you wanted to make it manual. Recent trends of using BMW gearboxes is proving a cheap route to manual.

#7 dale_b, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  8. Adam-MGTF

Adam-MGTF Member

What he said.....

Is also what i said

I think..... were you replying to me?

Im so confused, i shouldnt go on firums drunk.... *sits down*

9. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

No man, I just added the quote from DaddyD..
    You replied while I was typing..lol

10. Adam-MGTF

Adam-MGTF Member

Dont you love retarded timeing?...

So to the point -

do you reckon a £800 is200 with 12m mot and tax is a good buy, and will it -

Get me to work every day and go basic skidding till the 32 is finished? Bareing in mind the budget for the is200 will be sweet feck all. all i need i figure is - a welded diff, cheap coilovers (or hacked springs? No idea if they are a good idea or not, coilovers cost sod all for s and r bodys, so never tried cut springs) and as for weight saving - anything i can unbolt on an afternoon drinking cheap beer.

Thats the level of utterly cheap arse, bat shit bodgery im looking for lol. Will it do that as well as a mx5/e36?

11. japdrifter_s13

japdrifter_s13 running out of skill

It will skid perfectly fine mate and yes id buy it if I were in your position, I found the only draw back is they don't have very good lock as standard

Go for it I say

12. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

Yeah man, sounds ok:thumbs:
    Iv run cut springs on soarers, chaser, and e36's etc.. It's not ideal but better than standard..lol

Lock is actually ok.. I sell 6mm lock spacers for £10 so cheap to get a bit more out of it.

13. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

I always thought the main problem with is200s are they are ridiculously shit slow, even for a 2ltr

14. docwra

docwra Active Member

In danger of Stav/docwra agreement, but compared to a 328i they feel well underpowered - you can tell me its only 20hp difference but it feels more like 80hp ...........

IS200: 155hp and 144lb/ft
    328i: 190hp and 210 lb/ft and thats before you put the M50 manifold on. Even the 323 is 168 and 181 lb/ft.

I definitely prefer E36s anyway :)

15. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

SHIT slow.

Nice cars though, look decent, trim/equipment is nice. Shame they're so underpowered.
    That reminds me, I saw a slammed one in Worcester the other day, looked sweet.

I even like them with those gay yellow headlights.

16. Rossc0

Rossc0 Diesel Skidder

I've seen a few get used at jumanji, driftland and crail. All seem underpowered, even a supercharged one i saw struggled.

17. DtheBUK

DtheBUK Active Member

As far as the chassis and suspension go they're pretty good. Easy and cheap to make your own bolt on steering knuckles. An being sla, they feel really nice ride wise even on harsh coilovers.

They're slightly harder to work on that e36s imo as the suspension is a fair bit posher. Also parts cost more. They deffo feel a bit heavier too.

Saying that, they're about 100 times nicer to skid if you don't take power into account, that might also be to do with the extra weight.

18. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

No such thing as underpowered.. Haha:thumbs:

19. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

So why have you got a 1JZ and a massive HX35 in yours? lol

20. stacky

stacky Family 4door drifter

Shit slow indeed....... and the beams 3sge aint a whole lot better (50bhp extra at the fly TOPS!!!!). You mite as well just strap a lawnmover to a 1G!

Anyways..... saying that, the standard LSD is mint (even though its a torsion).
    I've had 4 tezza's..... my last one drifted really well (profile pic) and that was BOG standard with standard TRD suspension!

An is200 would be fine for a pod day or something like that...... but if you want to get serious you can forget 3rd gear or pulling anything sideways above 50mph unless you do a turbo conversion or engine conversion.

My 2 cents from experience.

Oh..... and i am thinking its looking very likely that i will do a 1J conversion on one in the next 12 months because bang for you buck, these cars are worth every penny and make a superb daily drifter with a set of coily's