The fitness thread

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by kam, Jun 29, 2012.

1. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

I can fully recommend the diet of Whiskey and KFC crispy strips for a week to get RIPPED.

2. kwalker705

kwalker705 Member

Nice leg press session tonight.

12x220lb, 10x 320lb, 8x520lb, 6x620lb, 5x670lb, 5x720lb.

Followed that up with some leg extensions (slow and steady to save kicking and swinging) and some calf raises.

Feel fine just now. But ill probably end up pulling the toilet roll holder and the towel rail off the wall while trying to pull myself off the toilet after my morning shit.

3. drift-bitch

drift-bitch Member

I'm back at the hard ass training again. Have another K1 kickboxing fight on August 10th in Gloucester .
    Currently mixing up between 5-7 hours a week of technical kickboxing , sparring, tabata training, weight lifting, circuits, running, bike rides and UFC drills :/. All in this 30degree heat as well!
    Pushing myself more mentally this time as well as physically.
    Can't bare to lose again!

4. FireStorm999

FireStorm999 Active Member

The shit u describe makes me feel ill.

Like thia guy in the pool that swima flat out for an hour. Im screaming in my head. "Have a break ffs"

Hats off to you i just snt have the time or incling to go that hardcore. I love hario bo's too much

5. chrisyboi

chrisyboi Member

Currently in pieces,

Been training fucking hard getting ripped up for the summer, inevitably gave my self a hernia and it take me about 5 minuets just to stand up haha.

That's what I get for training 9 times a week....

6. drift-bitch

drift-bitch Member

:/ unlucky bud! It's an addiction though isn't it!
    My fella went to work at 7am so I went out for a 10km bike ride.... All along the canal! Bloody beautiful!
    As they say....
    Train Insane or Remain The Same!

7. kam

Ok, looking for some serious strength gains now.

Squat been stuck at 170kg 1/2RM for a few months, starting to annoy me.

100% changing to 5x5, going to TRY and hit it twice a week.
    Guy at the gym who's an absolute beast for his size (deads 220kg for reps at about 12.5st) recomended it.

I spotted him for his bench and he did 3, 2, 1 (reps per set) which I thought was real weird?! Again, well strong.
    He had to shoot but I'll chat more with him.

Anyone else that can squat heavy got any input?

8. FireStorm999

FireStorm999 Active Member

I see a lot of this 5x5 kam.

Seems to be working for me on the 40kg preacher bar thing.

Again ive seen the three two one thing but the guys doing it fo some serious weight.

9. Develop

Develop Member

the stronglifts 5x5 program is well worth it if you want to gain strength.

Whats your squat 5RM?

10. kam

Not sure, about 140kg I'd guess?

11. Spence

Spence Active Member

In gym now, just thrown up in mouth!!! Nice!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

12. Develop

Develop Member

Then try dropping the weight to around 125kg and do 5 sets of 5,
    so warm up with the bar, then do 5 reps of say 50kg, then 5 x 80kg, then 5 x 100kg, and then your 5 sets of 125kg.
    then next time you go, add 2.5kg and do 5x5 again.
    Do this each time you go (squat every session you go to the gym, do it at the beginning so you've got maximum strength available) and you will get through the stall.
    Your body needs to get used to lifting a heavier weight each time you train, that's what makes you stronger
    If you can't do 5 full sets of 5 reps one session, then just try the same weight the next session.
    If you can't do 5x5 3 sessions in a row, then that's when the weight needs to be dropped by 10% as per the above process.
    (sorry if you know all of this :thumbs:)

13. kam

I always pyramid train, just can't seem to get past 170 no matter what I do.
    (10x3, 12x4, 3x3 etc...)

I'll give the above a go, seems to be what "everyone" does in a 5x5 routine.

Cheers :)

14. Develop

Develop Member

Yeah, it's fairly standard practice for what 'should' be done in a 5x5 routine, but some people don't like the idea of taking weight off of the bar in case other people see them lifting a lighter weight. So they keep the weight on and just keep stalling.
    It's nice when you see the numbers going back up as you know your progressing again.

15. DRAGONFD3S

DRAGONFD3S Member

To me, anything less than 6 reps is like running a leaner air/fuel ratio, more timing and more boost, basically it highly increases your chance of blowing something up.
    I can dip with 75KGs for 6 reps, but choose 6 to do 10 reps at 60KGs, as for me time out of the gym is the biggest enemy.
    Spoke to kai Green as well and he said thats the reason he uses such high reps, self presevation, leave your ego at the door.
    I finished my chest off today with just 26kg dumbells, but didnt feel embarressed as it was the end of my work out and I was looking good :)

16. kam

Do you consider that to be bodybuilding as opposed to strength training though?
    I've seen a couple of Kai vids (good example btw) where he specifically talks about being a bodybuilder not a power lifter.
    That guy I mentioned above said he never goes over 5 reps and is so strong for his size.

Agree with what you're saying though, 1RM are pretty risky and just asking for trouble. But 3+ I think is ok.

17. DRAGONFD3S

DRAGONFD3S Member

I consider it, 'get stronger. look better, stress release training'
    What do you want to be strong for? Bragging rights? Its just not worth the risk to me.
    Completly tore my ACL at kick boxing years ago, and couldnt walk properly for 6 months, so any potential injury must be avoided for me.
    Also partially dislocated my shoulder deadlifting only 4 plates a side, and that was on the 5 ish rep, and that put me out of traing for a month or so.

18. chrisyboi

chrisyboi Member

This is true, you need to decide what you are training towards.

For me I was training for fitness and to look good, fitness because I'm in the RAF and to look good to pull girls.
    My training reflects this, for instance when doing bench I won't go over about 95kg.... I know I can do a lot more as I'm doing 10 reps of that but that's not going to help me achieve my goal. Some big roid head just go the gym for bragging rights on what they can lift. For me my bragging rights are in the changing rooms when I take my top off and I'm ripped to fuck (last month 89kg 8.2% body fat)

19. kam

Why do you want fast cars? Riskier than a slower one.
    It's just natural isn't it, you always want to go that extra step.

Bust my ankle thai boxing (took a good year to heal), both my rotators are fucked - beleive me I don't want to get injured either.

20. kwalker705

kwalker705 Member

Kam if the 5x5 doesnt increase your squat PB try one week at 5x5, then the following week aim for 2 warm up sets 8/10 reps and then 3-4 work sets of 4's at max weight, following week go to 3's then go back to your 5x5 and see if there is an improvement. I only squat once every week but will push like hell with it. If your gonna go twice weekly I'd try front squat one day, back squat next time, then leg press next and keep alternating to keep the body guessing. Leg press will build the power and your front/back squat will help the stability and core muscles.