Daft question: why dont people skid IS200s?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Adam-MGTF, Jul 21, 2013.

1. reeperR32

reeperR32 Drift-Street-Imports

Lol...

As said, I've had one and never again, well at least with an is200 stock engine..

There is a lot better out there for the money if u want a daily slider to pass time...

Get a nice 328 not a stripped out skidder though..

Style 5 wheels, eBay collies.. And weld diff.. Game on!!

At least you can justify the fuel economy in a 328 but NOT an is200

2. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

people dont skid is200s because there pussies

our very own stevie beeeey started in an is with coilovers and a welder and would outdrive a hell of a lot of people on here!

3. Donkey!

Donkey! Member

as per jack. I know several people who have either had these or still have them for daily skidders - steve being one.

and i tell you what... i actually have a real soft spot for them.

4. Jites

Jites Active Member

after being in one recently they are a much nicer place to sit and 100000x more practical than an s whatever. cant comment on the IS 6 pot though. if you like them then get one, they are good value now imo and plenty parts to choose from

5. docwra

docwra Active Member

The S13 is a decent sized hatchback, what are you on about?? :confused:

And since when has the ergonomics of the cockpit been an important aspect of a driftcar? "Yeah, this S220 Merc handles like shit and cant spin the wheels up, but the seats are nice and theres stereo controls on the steeering wheel innit." :wack:

Anyone, anywhere, suggesting that an IS is a better option as a driftcar than an S chassis is either joking or deluded.

6. Jites

Jites Active Member

ah, forgot about the 180... that can fit some amount of wheels!

he said daily drift car! ;)

for the cash though its a nice place to be, plenty about and a refreshing change but each to their own. 4 doors is on the cards for me now i have a little sprog on the way and the s14 isnt the most practical in that sense

7. docwra

docwra Active Member

Naah, I know what youre saying dude - if they came with an M50 in them I reckon you'd see shitloads more on the drift scene :)

8. Jites

Jites Active Member

you must mean 1JZ...? ;)

9. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

I recon I could pull third round top of pod with just a welded diff and cut springs..

This. Bet beeeeyy could pull third?

10. stacky

stacky Family 4door drifter

Fair nuf..... i know i couldnt. The tezza used to bog rite down in 3rd unless you had shit loads of momentum - and you just dont get up to those kinda speeds at the pod.

I think i caught 3rd once at Anglesey in my Tez. There was a lad there that day in an IS and it was obvious that he had less power but the two cars wern't miles apart.

At the end of the day..... i think the answer to the thread is:
    1). Because they lack power.
    2). Because there are so many sheep out there that copy everyone else.

My 2 cents..... they are a good starter car in near standard form.... just not a competition car. End of

11. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

That's the same for any slightly lacking power car.. E36's, Mx5's, Volvo's, etc.. It's all about that momentum.. Keep the speed up and it'll skid. You can go fast enough at pod for third too.

But then what is a competition car for a grand?

12. GmasterT

GmasterT Heavy Industries...

Theyre fucking hard work, my arse dyno calculated 23.2 torque peak on the ones ive driven.

With that in mind, its a lot to fork out when they is well betterer cars for less monies

Coilys help everything drift better, so does rain

13. 340mike

340mike Member

I just found a 1uz on ebay for £300 so i really cant understand why everyone doesnt have an is200 with that engine.
    I would if the wife would let me. :(

14. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Because the cost to do it isn't cheap. Buying the engine is barely 10% of the swap cost

15. supernova-dw

supernova-dw Active Member

They're nice cheap comfortable cars but as everyone has said they are ridiculously slow and also really poor on fuel.

I new a guy quite a while ago who had a MK3 Astra GSI (2.0 16V) He sold it and bought a brand new IS200 And was gutted! I don't know why but they really are sluggish....

16. Khmer

Khmer Guest

get the one with the 3sge... but thats already a highly strung setup to get power out of...

actually, get the ones without an engine, and go sr20.

or 20b triple rotor single turbo with 800bhp...

1gfe powered ones are so slow, main reason is the fe head.... its a narrow valve head designed purely for fuel economy.

intake and exhaust mods will only get you so far...

the suspension setup is fucking awesome, with its double wishbone setup, but the tension rods will be its limiting factor if you want more lock.

the only thing wrong with the tezza is its engine. its best if the 3sge was taken out and put in an 86 chassis.

17. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

They wernt designed to go fast. They were designed to sell large quantities and rival the 3series BMW. It did what Toyota intended them to do. For the people that wanted a faster one, they made the is300.

As Stav said.. Engine swaps are easy.. Engine are cheap.. Manual gearbox solutions are expensive... Keep it as an auto and you can UZ for around a grand if you do the work yourself.

If anyone wants a IS200 with a UZ or JZ, I can do this for you. It won't be cheap as its quite time consuming. But bring me an IS200, a UZ/JZ Soarer, and money, and before long you'll be driving home in a very capable badass car:thumbs:

18. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

I agree with a lot of what you say..

If you get an Altezza with 3SGE, you have a good base car to do a 3SGTE conversion for minimal cost. Can buy a celica or mr2 for not a lot.. You need to convert the 3SGTE to use the Altezza sump stuff and swap over some other stuff, and you have a cheap bolt in conversion good for 400+hp for less than a grand.
    Then sell the Beams engine to an 86 dude for a conversion.

And yes, the double wishbone setup is amazeballs. Can do a lot with it. The tention rods are an issue, but.. I have a fair amount of lock and my wheels are not hitting tention rods.. My knuckle hits the lower arm before the wheel hits the rods. I also use SuperPro Offset Tention Rod Bushes.. You can set them to either plus or minus Caster.

Ahh the Irony. ..

19. docwra

docwra Active Member

Or give me £1000 and Ill give you a 328i and change ;)

I really dont have anything against IS's, they are really nice cars but as others have said, there are more straightforward ways of getting a reasonable drift car, the fact that the last three posts have all been discussing engine swaps kinda underlines that :)

20. Khmer

Khmer Guest

ill just leave these here...

#40 Khmer, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2013