Daft question: why dont people skid IS200s?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Adam-MGTF, Jul 21, 2013.

1. MSC

MSC Active Member

Backing what stav is saying for skid cars out the box the is200 wouldn't ever come into it its ok saying throw £££££s at it and its awesome for drifting but same goes with any rwd but to just buy one and use it there shit

2. mint

mint touch my fruit

Id rather like one if im honest.. Been considering it after a new tezza popped up in the deen the other month.. kinda fallen for them again.

3. supernova-dw

supernova-dw Active Member

My personal opinion is that IS200's are nice cars and you get alot of car for your money! As for skidding yeh of course you could use one however as has been said you may as well just use a 325 or 328 as they are cheaper and also have more power, I'm sure that an IS200 Would make a great base but it would take some money for sure!

As I understand the wiring side of engine conversions on the IS200 is the most tricky as I believe you have to keep the stock ECU to get the dials etc working?

4. reeperR32

reeperR32 Drift-Street-Imports

If we're talking chav then how much more chav can you get than an is200.. The digging thing comes with "Lexus lights" as stock lol

5. 340mike

340mike Member

Well thats just shit. I thought that a lot of it would be fairly simple but i was only guessing.

Atleast the engine is cheap to replace if it gets fucked.

6. Khmer

Khmer Guest

wtf is a chav.

sounds like a uk version of low life/boy racer etc

7. mint

mint touch my fruit

Chav a.k.a. Ned (Non Educated Delinquent)
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav

I think this chav talk is totally pointless. You could put a chav in any car and then claim its a chav car wtf.. Especially round these parts, BMW's are PRIME chav cars, always have been.. way more so than a lexus .. I wonder about some of the people on here sometimes....

8. MSC

MSC Active Member

I own a bmw and a lexus also a few discoverys think I'm a Chav lol

9. Adam-MGTF

Adam-MGTF Member

Well.... I bought an IS200

And it's actually pretty bloody decent.

Totally stock it was a bit wank - Just heavy for the power... so I stripped everything from the B piller back and did nothing else... Laps of roundabouts in 2nd went well as long as I didnt scrub any speed... tried doing some stuff at a local place we practice and entrys were crap and holding any sort of skid was a right arse on.

Good news is the OEM handbrake is brilliant. Way way better than my R33s. So I've saved money buying another Hydro :D

So I'm chopping the springs and filling the diff full of weld today. Lets see whats what.

I see a project thread coming on...

As for e36 Vs an IS200.... well I've had both. 328i and IS200... tbh drift wise... Theres feck all in it. The 328i has more power but you need it - the IS responds better to what it's got I reckon. Fair do's I can barly skid it atm (I'm too used to good power :( spoilt!) but you can sort of "tell". Theres fuck all in it really.

So I'd have the IS any day. I'm no fan of the driving position in an e36 (could they get the peddles closer together!) and personally I reckon they were hit repeatedly with the ugly stick, branch and tree. But realistically anyone who says "get an e36 instead of a IS200" I'd have to say theres feck all in it.

Downsides? - Coilovers and the cost of :( I've not seen ANY for sale second hand and new ones aint cheap.

Otherwise it's the best £600 I've spent on a drift car!

10. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

How can you honestly say there's fuck all in it when you're still on stock suspension, open diff, and 'can barely skid it atm'?

11. Khmer

Khmer Guest

people will think im lying... but jzx100 shocks and diff mounts/diffs are interchangeable with the gxe/sxe10.

12. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

I know that too^ ;)

13. Adam-MGTF

Adam-MGTF Member

aye cause I had a 328i on stock suspension VSLD and could barly skid it lol. more to the point we had an e36 with us and I drove both back to back - there is sod all in it

does that make coilovers cheaper? lol

14. Khmer

Khmer Guest

just get lowering springs, like tein s springs.

altezzas handle like a champ already, get it lower and it darts around corners as if it had adjustable suspension.

like driving a silvia with aftermarket adjustable coil over suspension.

15. docwra

docwra Active Member

No, nothing at all. And when youre comparing drift cars its always good to drift them as well ......... ;)

16. MSC

MSC Active Member

Haha this thread gets better

17. Adam-MGTF

Adam-MGTF Member

As every "top gear drag race" has ever proven... there is more to how a car performs than power... back to back there is sod all differance I maintain that as my personal opinion when drifting both cars.

Now... I'm oh so sorry I have 8,400 posts less than you - I prostrate myself before your lordship. But why does that automatically make me wrong / give you the right to take the piss? I hope it makes you feel very good about yourself ;)

18. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

You said a few posts ago the cars are open diff and you can't drift?

And you do realise TopGear drag races and everything else they do are fixed/fake, don't you...?

19. docwra

docwra Active Member

Oh, right, the old postcount thing is it? No, its not, see below. :D

1. All every Top Gear drag race proves is which car is faster in straight line. I dont know if you know much about drifting, but theres not a lot of straight lines involved.
    2. However, if you are looking to compare how two cars drift, a back to back drift off is probably a good way of doing it.
    3. You have openly admitted that you can "barly skid" the IS200 but its "bloody decent". Thats like me saying Ive "barly met" Stavros but going on to give a full psychological report on him.
    4. Your username is "MGTF" which immediately makes anything you say void, and allows every one here to point and laugh. If you need to know why, then further pointing will ensue. :D

I might have a fair number of posts but Ive also been drifting for 8 years or so, and have owned and drifted an E36 and driven/drifted a few IS200's and while I like the IS, as a driftcar its not even in the same league. Sure, you can throw a few grand at one and win D1GP, but you can do that with anything.

Despite the banter and chunter on here theres actually some good information on this board, but n00b drivers with a couple of laps of a roundabout under their belt talking bollocks about cars doesnt constitute it Im afraid. Feel free to come up with a witty answer that puts me back in my place though, as that will just make things worse :D

20. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

If someone quotes Top Gear with regards to car performance that just immediately discredits their opinion in my eyes.